Expired

Somebody using my name to open fraudulent catalogue credit accounts

Found 3rd Oct 2011
On Friday I received a letter from a debt collection agency, asking me to contact them regarding a 'personal matter', I know I don't owe monies to any companies to out of curiosity got in touch. I apparently owe La Redoute over £300. During the conversation I was told that the address details were my previous address, which I left in March 2009!

So after contacting the police for a ref number I contacted the debt collectors again, and this info was sent back to Redcats (UK La Redoute).

I was made a little paranoid by this so ordered credit reports. It showed a search by a company called Classic Confidence (JD Williams), I have since been in contact with this company and there is an account set up in my name with them!!!

So I have spent this morning scanning proof of address docs for these two companies so they can remove my name from the debts!

Neither had performeded a credit check for these accounts AFAIK (I am on the electoral roll at my current address, and have been since I moved) The search on my credit report from the second company showed my DOB out by 12 years, and this was 10 months after they had last sent stock to my previous address!

I am assuming that some mail for me was sent to my previous address and the scumbag took a shot that paid off! And before anybody says it, NO it was not me ordering stuff and simply not paying, as the accounts were opened a year to 18 months after I left!

Is there any way to find out anything in your credit report from more than 12 months ago? Or a way to find out if you have accounts open with creditors? Only the La redoute debt/account did not show on either Experian or Equifax.

If you managed to read through my tale of woe, thanks, and sorry for boring you lol!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
13 Comments

Original Poster

Also apologies for any spelling errors, just corrected 3 that I spotted lol!

Well if stuff has been bought in your name & keeps getting delivered to your old Address,then don't you think a chap at the door of your old house is in order ?
The new owner has to know something as he/she keeps accepting all these Free gifts lol.

Banned

You need to contact the credit reference agencies for full reports, not just the freebie ones offered

Banned

dimebars

You need to contact the credit reference agencies for full reports, not … You need to contact the credit reference agencies for full reports, not just the freebie ones offered

which free ones? The free trial experian do is no different to the one you pay for.

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

Well if stuff has been bought in your name & keeps getting delivered to … Well if stuff has been bought in your name & keeps getting delivered to your old Address,then don't you think a chap at the door of your old house is in order ?The new owner has to know something as he/she keeps accepting all these Free gifts lol.

Well TBH I was thinking that, but have no idea if the tenant after me is still there. The last delivery which I know of supposedly was delivered in January of last year so chances are it is not them. I have spoken to the letting agents, but have not asked as I know they would not give that info. Even they still live there they could always say they had only just moved in. I was thinking of sending a letter to the previous address to tell them that the net is closing in so to speak, but don't know if it is worthwhile. I just feel like there could be so many more that I don't know about!

Saying that though, when I looked at my credit report it was in 'very good' standing according to Experian?!? Not bad really considering I have 'aliases' attached to my account (I have a double barrel surname but don't always use full name)

WheresMeNuts

Well if stuff has been bought in your name & keeps getting delivered to … Well if stuff has been bought in your name & keeps getting delivered to your old Address,then don't you think a chap at the door of your old house is in order ?The new owner has to know something as he/she keeps accepting all these Free gifts lol.

And realisticaly what would this achieve? If its them they will just deny all knowledge, its not actualy the OP's debt and its up to the creditors to prove who's it is, all they can do is report it and ask for a correction on the credit files.

I am sure proving when you ceased living at an address quite easy especially if a rental property.

Same thing happened to my mum, she went to the police who told her her best course of action was the experian route. She lived in a council house and also went to the council to ask who now lived there but was told they couldn't say who lived there now because of the data protection act.
It's took a while to sort out (about 2 years) but we're nearly there. Every time she gets a letter from a debt collection agency she now refers them to Experian who then put them right.
Be warned though if this is the first letter you've got through expect more to follow as they have probably set up multiple accounts with different club books and doorstep loan agencies.

Original Poster

Broxy

Same thing happened to my mum, she went to the police who told her her … Same thing happened to my mum, she went to the police who told her her best course of action was the experian route. She lived in a council house and also went to the council to ask who now lived there but was told they couldn't say who lived there now because of the data protection act.It's took a while to sort out (about 2 years) but we're nearly there. Every time she gets a letter from a debt collection agency she now refers them to Experian who then put them right.Be warned though if this is the first letter you've got through expect more to follow as they have probably set up multiple accounts with different club books and doorstep loan agencies.

I am fully expecting more, especially since I have discovered an additional one since the letter on Thursday!

I bet there is no way of adding something to your credit file to ask them to ensure they get ID docs before giving out credit?!?

It is just an absolute pain, I know I have not lost any money so it's not the end of the world, especially since I won't be needing any credit for the forseeable future, but its just the sheer cheek of some people to do this kind of thing!

Also just had my insurance renewal through, it's gone up by over £400 per year, not in any way related to this saga, just in a whinging mood lol!

Banned

silkymolo

I am fully expecting more, especially since I have discovered an … I am fully expecting more, especially since I have discovered an additional one since the letter on Thursday! I bet there is no way of adding something to your credit file to ask them to ensure they get ID docs before giving out credit?!?It is just an absolute pain, I know I have not lost any money so it's not the end of the world, especially since I won't be needing any credit for the forseeable future, but its just the sheer cheek of some people to do this kind of thing!Also just had my insurance renewal through, it's gone up by over £400 per year, not in any way related to this saga, just in a whinging mood lol!

You can add a notice of correction to your file, which means that it has to be reviewed manually before any decision is made. Not sure if that would help, but bear in mind it will stop any automatic credit decisions being made for yourself too.

Original Poster

I shall certainly be looking into that thanks!

My daughter has opened a catalouge account in my name but her address just recived letter from debt agency ( said found my address from there source) to say large amount outstanding that I must pay as was in my name anybody know what I can do now relations between me and my daughter no longer exist

Suewj

My daughter has opened a catalouge account in my name but her address … My daughter has opened a catalouge account in my name but her address just recived letter from debt agency ( said found my address from there source) to say large amount outstanding that I must pay as was in my name anybody know what I can do now relations between me and my daughter no longer exist

Call the police. Your daughter has committed fraud by using your name.

I know she is your child but she has stitched you up and you need to report her.

Sorry it has come to this and hope you are OK.

Mark2111

Call the police. Your daughter has committed fraud by using your name.I … Call the police. Your daughter has committed fraud by using your name.I know she is your child but she has stitched you up and you need to report her. Sorry it has come to this and hope you are OK.

I've seen about 4 new members tonight and a zombie thread. I think you'll be giving more advice soon mate

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants