Expired

Someone hacked my Zeek account - What to do ?

Found 8th May
Someone has managed to log in to my Zeek account and spent £891 . Zeek was set up with Paypal . There was £350 in Paypal and the rest was to be taken out of the bank account .

I have cancelled the bank account , so that money can not be taken out . Paypal are saying they can't do anything to help because Zeek uses a service agreement . I have reported this to the police and they told me to go to the bank and get them to cancel the payment . While at the bank the staff member told me that Paypal had not tried to take the money yet . So I just decided to close the account , as then Paypal will try and take the money from my credit card and as I understand , it is easier to claim money back from a credit card .

So far Zeek have not gotten back to me .

Where do I stand on this ? .

Any advice would be appreciated , thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
So PayPal account is all secure now and you've notified them. Go look though at account settings and email address to make sure only yours is there. I'd charge passwords to every account you own making sure that each password is completely different. Nightmare to deal with I guess. PayPal and bank should cover you for lost money though
Edited by: "wayners" 8th May
Yes , but it was not my Paypal account or bank that has been compromised . It is my Zeek account . I assume Zeek are looking into it as they have suspended my account , but they are not talking to me . Ignoring emails and Facebook messeges .
How did they get your password, is it your fault or Zeek?
Well I have not given my password out . I am not sure how they have done it . When I sign into my Zeek account , they usually send me an email saying click this link .
Getting an email link to login don't sound secure. What's that about?
Fairys_Burn_Things3 h, 22 m ago

Well I have not given my password out . I am not sure how they have done …Well I have not given my password out . I am not sure how they have done it . When I sign into my Zeek account , they usually send me an email saying click this link .

you should never logon to anything via email links! how did you search for Zeek in the first place, it appears that you tried to login into a fake Zeek website. The only thing that is meant to happen when you register for any website is that you are emailed to verify, but you should always close the webpage after you've done that.

Now you need to prevent further damage, use a different PC and change all your passwords for your email accounts and shopping accounts. When you search a website you need to search using google and dont click any advertised search results. Inform your email provider your email account has been compromised by going to their help section.

Your own PC, disconnect it from the net, format it, and reinstall windows as you may have a Trojan. Enabling pictures sent in emails and clicking their links can give you viruses. I always hover over the link and see if it shows a legit web address.

Create a dispute with PayPal and tell them your account has been compromised by a fraud. They will have to refund you the money even if some of it was cash in account, record how much. Provide PayPal your crime reference number. Stop them taking money from your credit card by informing your credit card by phone ASAP. To say there is nothing they can do to help is ludicrous! Keep all records in a folder for safe keeping.

In future use direct links to websites, save them in your favourites bar, never click email links.
Edited by: "zcgby03" 8th May
also cancel the credit card number that you gave paypal
Never ever link your PayPal account to anything, not even eBay. You give people an easy ride if they hack your account. Had my eBay account hacked (I’m extremely careful with passwords, links and hadn’t used it for ages and use different password everywhere else), although they bid and won tons of stuff they couldn’t pay for any of it hahahaha!!! As there were no payment formats linked to it.
can you keep us updated please.
zcgby032 h, 30 m ago

can you keep us updated please.

Will do . Zeek finally got back to me . They just asked if I had my email hacked or if any other accounts had been compromised. Will get back on to them tomorrow.

Thanks
The email link to login is normal. It’s Zeek itself that sends you the email when you try to login.

I would suggest going to the Have I Been Pwned website and checking if your email (and associated passwords) has been compromised on a recent hack.
Also, a suggestion for the future. Try to avoid saving payment details on apps & websites whenever possible. I know it’s less convenient having to input details every time, but it’s safer considering how frequent hacks of this nature are becoming...
melomanias2 h, 33 m ago

Also, a suggestion for the future. Try to avoid saving payment details on …Also, a suggestion for the future. Try to avoid saving payment details on apps & websites whenever possible. I know it’s less convenient having to input details every time, but it’s safer considering how frequent hacks of this nature are becoming...

It's quite easy to miss with PayPal. You're so used to the checkout process, login to PayPal, click, click, done. If you're not paying attention you may have set up an agreement for all future payments. I noticed this with Zeek, and make sure to cancel the agreement every time I use them, to avoid the situation the OP is facing. Anyone using PayPal should check all their current agreements just in case there are some they don't remember setting up. Everyone should also be using a password manager (doesn't help with Zeek as the account doesn't have a password), and every site should offer two factor authentication.
Edited by: "bo0td" 9th May
Thanks, reminded me to go into Zeek and delete my paypal account link
bo0td9th May

It's quite easy to miss with PayPal. You're so used to the checkout …It's quite easy to miss with PayPal. You're so used to the checkout process, login to PayPal, click, click, done. If you're not paying attention you may have set up an agreement for all future payments. I noticed this with Zeek, and make sure to cancel the agreement every time I use them, to avoid the situation the OP is facing. Anyone using PayPal should check all their current agreements just in case there are some they don't remember setting up. Everyone should also be using a password manager (doesn't help with Zeek as the account doesn't have a password), and every site should offer two factor authentication.

Yes, that’s a very good point! I’ve checked my PayPal at some point, but it’s definitely time to do it again. Thanks!
Update - Banks and credit cards are all on board and stopping any payments . The only thing that seems to have been hacked is the Zeek account , but it looks like they originally hacked my email and got into Zeek that way.
Zeek have told me to claim through my bank and Paypal . Paypal have just fobbed me off and denied the claim , and now they are ignoring my emails .

I have been searching online to see if I have any protection with Paypal like I have with the banks , but all I can find is what Paypal say themselves which they are not sticking too because I had signed up to a service agreement with Zeek and it was not a payment . Which personally I think is BS .

paypal.com/gb/…645
paypal.com/gb/…988

It says all over there iste that I am protected against unauthorised activity . This is about unautherised as it gets .
enzo_power2 h, 37 m ago

Thanks, reminded me to go into Zeek and delete my paypal account link

me too. also check account limits per merchant. My ebay continuous paypal payment authority had a limit of £65,000,000

I just cancelled it!
Fairys_Burn_Things9 m ago

https://www.paypal.com/gb/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-report-unauthorised-paypal-account-activity-faq1988It says all over there iste that I am protected against unauthorised activity . This is about unautherised as it gets .

but you have authorised paypal to allow zeek withdrawals. I cant see that paypal are in the wrong. Zeek are the ones you should be complaining to.
Thanks for the heads up have deleted the link.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants