Someone has just stumbled and taken my wing mirror off my car..

Found 29th Aug 2011
Is there much point in actually reporting this to the police. I do know one of the three people. Drunk but the woman knew something had broken as it made a loud cracking noise. What is the cost of a second hand one ?
Community Updates
19 Comments
You know one of the three people?
A second-hand wing mirror would cost less if you sold your Ferrari btw.
Banned
Sure you could go and spend money and buy a new one, then get someone to fix it on for you and then pay them too. Or to make things even, you could get drunk and take off your other wing mirror.

Be in control.
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

Without knowing what car about £100

Vauxhall astra estate not worth buying a new one I think.
Banned
Get one from a local scrap yard?. Or look at the bay item number 140596783887
Not exactly a police matter is it ? ( civil matter )

No laws against stumbling , it wasn't vandalised / maliciously damaged .

But i feel you pain someone decided they didn't like rear wiper blades in my street last week and ripped a lot off , mine included ! @holes but yours was accidental and you can approach them to pay for damage ! I can't
Are they electric wing mirrors? If yes, they could be very much more expensive to replace than you think.

(This is why I always close the wing mirror facing the road when I park my car, but doesn't prevent damage from bad/careless/malicious drivers etc...)
Banned
Ask the person for money to replace it if they refuse you take them to a small claims court.
they were drunk right ?
They may claim they don't remeber it - I don't suppose you have evidence / other witnesses ( if going to small claims)
Over The Knee

Are they electric wing mirrors? If yes, they could be very much more … Are they electric wing mirrors? If yes, they could be very much more expensive to replace than you think.(This is why I always close the wing mirror facing the road when I park my car, but doesn't prevent damage from bad/careless/malicious drivers etc...)

^^^ Good Advice for the future anyway.
Even if this incident was an accident, protruding mirrors seem to be a favourite target of drunks or out of control teenagers.

I have had to learn from similar repeated occurences. Police are not interested apart from quoting a crime number, even for repeat offences, so if its the first time you may be lucky even to get platitudes.
WoolyM

^^^ Good Advice for the future anyway.Even if this incident was an … ^^^ Good Advice for the future anyway.Even if this incident was an accident, protruding mirrors seem to be a favourite target of drunks or out of control teenagers. I have had to learn from similar repeated occurences. Police are not interested apart from quoting a crime number, even for repeat offences, so if its the first time you may be lucky even to get platitudes.

I saw someone a few weeks ago drunk as a skunk, going down the street kicking at mirrors, looked out to see what the noise was

and shouted out "do you know that you are on my security camera?"
to which they replied "I dont give a toss, I'll brick your windows"
and I replied "If you have the balls go for it I live at number x and the camera in my focus (the only one on the street) will have caught you" - The kicker being the number and the car belong to a neighbour who has been causing us grief and trying to stir up trouble!

Edited by: "harlzter" 29th Aug 2011
take em to the small claims court
Follow the drunk home and stumble on his wife
ive just had to replace my drivers side wing mirror because some old coot! drove on my side of the road and smashed mine then shot off! if you use breakeryard.com you can get them brand new for under £45 delivered, only problem is they come unpainted
Banned
vinylandtrinkets

ive just had to replace my drivers side wing mirror because some old … ive just had to replace my drivers side wing mirror because some old coot! drove on my side of the road and smashed mine then shot off! if you use breakeryard.com you can get them brand new for under £45 delivered, only problem is they come unpainted

Im sure the OP has all shades of nail varnish to hand
get them to pay for it, if you know one of them you can trace who the person was.
bluebindy123

Vauxhall astra estate not worth buying a new one I think.

Do you know if they are heated / motorised? My mate was quoted almost £300 for this Astra!
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys. I did contact the one who I recognised and he has replied with an apology from the girl and has said she will pay for the damage. Faith is restored at least she owned up.
Great that your getting payment for the damage.
My car was parked outside where i work and a lovely youth walked past and kicked my wing mirror off. As luck would have it, i work next door to the local police station and a couple of policeman standing on their fire escape saw him do it and radio through to the offers int he town to arrest him. The kind officers than came and asked for me, I had to make a statement (it was fine when i left it :-s), he admitted it, got cautioned for it as he was 15 and i was left with a nice £140 bill (Vauxhall Corsa) for a new mirror and spraying, which now the little adjustable arm doesn't work on
Would have been lovely if him or his parents had automatically got a nice little bill in the post for it.
I think the last time that I saw a " wing mirror " fitted to a car, it was a 1970's Vauxhall Viva.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions