Someone hit my car, what are my options?

Found 14th MarEdited by:"delusion"
Yesterday as I was popping out of work for lunch I was stopped at a red light in a long line of traffic, a lady in a car parking space then reversed into my passenger side. She was adamant she 'looked both ways' (presumably meaning over both shoulders), but it's clear this must have been before the act of reversing as she certainly wasnt looking where she was going at the point of driving. Typically her car was fine!

She has accepted liability verbally, however the dent is such that i can no longer open the passenger door. Taking it to a garage for a quote they suggested £650 including labour for a new side panel and respray, suggesting the damage on the existing panel is not repairable.

The car a 20 years old micra, but with only one previous owner it's extremely reliable, only 25k miles in the clock and starts everytime, passed last 2 MOTs with only a few minor advisories (expected due to its age). Despite this, the garage said its likely the insurance company will write it off as they set the value based on age (not its condition and reliability), I don't know if this is true.

The lady that caused it wants to go through insurance due to the cost to fix, so of course I'm worried I'll lose the car and be given some minimal payment which will never be able to get a like for like replacement (it's valued online at under £500, but I know for a fact I can't match its mileage and proven reliability).

So a few questions ;

1. Can I convince the insurance company I need the car and it shouldn't be written off? I need it for travelling to work and for supporting my dependant parents.

2. If I took the loss and didn't do anything to the car, would it pass MOT if I can't open the passenger door?

3. If it was written off and her fault entirely, what happens to my insurance payment, is there any rebate for the rest of the year or do I lose that too? Does it also affect my no claims?

Do I have any other options?

Only other option I can think of is pay the £650 myself, but that feels so harsh given I was stationary at a red light with the bad luck of being the car directly south of her parking space at that time...

Any advice appreciated!
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
42 Comments
If the insurance company right it off, buy it off them afterwards and have the work done.
Original Poster
master103 m ago

If the insurance company right it off, buy it off them afterwards and have …If the insurance company right it off, buy it off them afterwards and have the work done.

I can do that? Will it be cheaper than the settlement amount?
delusion4 m ago

I can do that? Will it be cheaper than the settlement amount?

Well it depends how much they want to sell it back for. Its upto you whether its worth doing after that. But even as you stated £650 to repair a car worth £500 is not really bang-for-buck.
A friend of mine did as master10 suggested but that only worked for him as it was a minor bumper dent that economically wrote his car off, and he knew a guy that could fix it on the cheap.

Yours is more significant damage and with no cheap fix it'll likely be scrapped.

I'd say driving a car with a door that doesn't open is an mot failure surely, think about a crash scenario and your only escape from a burning wreck is the passenger side.
Edited by: "Richard_Richard" 14th Mar
Original Poster
Richard_Richard2 m ago

A friend of mine did as master10 suggested but that only worked for him as …A friend of mine did as master10 suggested but that only worked for him as it was a minor bumper dent that economically wrote his car off, and he knew a guy that could fix it on the cheap.Yours is more significant damage and with no cheap fix it'll likely be scrapped.I'd say driving a care with a door that doesn't open is an mot failure surely, think about a crash scenario and your only escape from a burning wreck is the passenger side.

Yeh that's what I'm worried about but there are many cars with no doors for the backseats so I was hoping a working passenger door wasn't a requirement. No idea to be honest, first time anyone has ever hit me too so I'm rather more clueless than usual!
Original Poster
master105 m ago

Well it depends how much they want to sell it back for. Its upto you …Well it depends how much they want to sell it back for. Its upto you whether its worth doing after that. But even as you stated £650 to repair a car worth £500 is not really bang-for-buck.

The issue is that for me it's worth many times that. I can't get a replacement as good for that money or anywhere near it.
Edited by: "delusion" 14th Mar
delusion7 m ago

Yeh that's what I'm worried about but there are many cars with no doors …Yeh that's what I'm worried about but there are many cars with no doors for the backseats so I was hoping a working passenger door wasn't a requirement. No idea to be honest, first time anyone has ever hit me too so I'm rather more clueless than usual!

There has recently been a change in insurance on 3 doors vs 5 doors, according to the Ford guy we bought our car from, don't know the ins and outs.

But yes I'm fairly sure if you had 2 doors and one doesn't open that would be a fail.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…740

Looks like they won't even test the car at mot if either front door doesn't open.
Original Poster
Richard_Richard2 m ago

There has recently been a change in insurance on 3 doors vs 5 doors, …There has recently been a change in insurance on 3 doors vs 5 doors, according to the Ford guy we bought our car from, don't know the ins and outs.But yes I'm fairly sure if you had 2 doors and one doesn't open that would be a fail.http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3290740Looks like they won't even test the car at mot if either front door doesn't open.

Damn, well that options a no then. Thank you for the info
Man that sucks but what I want to know is how has the car only done 25k miles but its 20 years old? I assume you dont drive it much? I mean I did over 25k in the last year!
It sounds like the cost of repair is more than it value. I' not saying an inurer wouldn't fix it but it' unlikely.
If you are offered a cash sum based on repair costs it will not include VAT. I don' know why and it seems unfair. This can be paid direct from the other parties insurer, allowing you to carry on with the existing car insurance. You may be able to get the car fixed by a friend etc on the cheep.
If your car is written off not all insurers offer a buy back scheme, some send the vehicles to auction.
As much as we can give you possible scenarios, it really is down to your insurer to give you some options, if you'r making a claim through them.
Original Poster
darthvader666uk9 m ago

Man that sucks but what I want to know is how has the car only done 25k …Man that sucks but what I want to know is how has the car only done 25k miles but its 20 years old? I assume you dont drive it much? I mean I did over 25k in the last year!

I've only owned it for 4 years, my first car. It was my mums car but she had to retire due to illness early on and it had hardly been used since. 14k miles when I got it!
Edited by: "delusion" 14th Mar
Original Poster
hubcms4 m ago

It sounds like the cost of repair is more than it value. I' not saying an …It sounds like the cost of repair is more than it value. I' not saying an inurer wouldn't fix it but it' unlikely.If you are offered a cash sum based on repair costs it will not include VAT. I don' know why and it seems unfair. This can be paid direct from the other parties insurer, allowing you to carry on with the existing car insurance. You may be able to get the car fixed by a friend etc on the cheep.If your car is written off not all insurers offer a buy back scheme, some send the vehicles to auction.As much as we can give you possible scenarios, it really is down to your insurer to give you some options, if you'r making a claim through them.

Thanks, sounds like I'll lose out no matter what then! Am trying to find someone that can bodge it too just in case, got my fingers crossed.
Original Poster
derekduggan6 m ago

This video is well worth a watch.CAT C and D write offs explainedHope the …This video is well worth a watch.CAT C and D write offs explainedHope the information helps someone

Thanks looks useful, I'm at work so can't watch it until tonight.
Sadly it's only worth £500, Sure it might be reliable etc but it's scrap to an insurance company. If you do claim on insurance then you'll have the option to buy it back off them but I doubt that will make economical sense and they may not re insure it if they write it off etc. If you do claim on insurance then make sure you claim your excess back off the third party, You may have to ask your insurance company to do that for you or you could claim directly from the third parties insurance. If they admit liability then it shouldn't take too long to sort out.
delusion11 m ago

I've only owned it for 4 years, my first car. It was my mums car but she …I've only owned it for 4 years, my first car. It was my mums car but she had to retire due to illness early on and it had hardly been used since. 14k miles when I got it!

wow, thats actually amazing (the car of course). it must be almost all original parts
Original Poster
darthvader666uk4 m ago

wow, thats actually amazing (the car of course). it must be almost all …wow, thats actually amazing (the car of course). it must be almost all original parts

The only thing I replaced was the car battery and the tape player
Both passenger and drivers doors have to open fully from inside and outside to pass an MOT
Original Poster
.MUFC.13 m ago

Sadly it's only worth £500, Sure it might be reliable etc but it's scrap …Sadly it's only worth £500, Sure it might be reliable etc but it's scrap to an insurance company. If you do claim on insurance then you'll have the option to buy it back off them but I doubt that will make economical sense and they may not re insure it if they write it off etc. If you do claim on insurance then make sure you claim your excess back off the third party, You may have to ask your insurance company to do that for you or you could claim directly from the third parties insurance. If they admit liability then it shouldn't take too long to sort out.

I know what you are saying is likely bang on. I'm gutted though! Hoping I can find some other way and keep it, sounds like I have to do my best to avoid the insurance route.
derekduggan31 m ago

This video is well worth a watch.CAT C and D write offs explainedHope the …This video is well worth a watch.CAT C and D write offs explainedHope the information helps someone

Not really. Cat C and D dont exist any more.
Its now either a structural write off or non structural. Cat S and cat N.
delusion14 m ago

The only thing I replaced was the car battery and the tape player

And a new passenger door now also
Call Auxillis, they'll take up the claim for u and claim all the costs back from the third party. You'll also be provided with a hire car if liability has been admitted by the 3rd party.
Breakers yard for another door on the cheap perhaps?
Don't confuse market value ( value of the physical car, mileage, condition and age) with what it's worth to you. If it needed a repair, without an accident involved ( for example you skidded on ice and hit a gate post) would you spend £150 getting it repaired?

If the insurers give you £500,scrap the car and sell it to you for £100 you get the car plus £400. You then spend the £150 extra and get the repairs done. You have your car back, low mileage and reliable though you are £150 out of pocket. It's a harsh world but insurance is an evil con and the only winners are the insurance companies.
Edited by: "mrty" 14th Mar
Original Poster
mrty4 m ago

Don't confuse market value ( value of the physical car, mileage, condition …Don't confuse market value ( value of the physical car, mileage, condition and age) with what it's worth to you. If it needed a repair, without an accident involved ( for example you skidded on ice and hit a gate post) would you spend £150 getting it repaired?If the insurers give you £500,scrap the car and sell it to you for £100 you get the car plus £400. You then spend the £150 extra and get the repairs done. You have your car back, low mileage and reliable though you are £150 out of pocket. It's a harsh world but insurance is an evil con and the only winners are the insurance companies.

If it was my fault I'd spend the full £650, I want the car and don't think any other at this low end of the market could match it. If I can claim 500 and buy black for 100 I would probably take it at this point, buf no idea if that's actually possible.
Original Poster
delboye3051 m ago

Call Auxillis, they'll take up the claim for u and claim all the costs …Call Auxillis, they'll take up the claim for u and claim all the costs back from the third party. You'll also be provided with a hire car if liability has been admitted by the 3rd party.

Thanks I'll look into this
This happened to me, I was in a supermarket car park, engine running in a queue waiting for cars to exit the car park. An old chap got into his parked car and decided to reverse out of his space into me, damaging front wing - no damage to his. He admitted fault (there and throughout insurance), car got repaired for free etc.

However, my insurance premium went up £100 the next year, so I changed from Zurich at the time back to Aviva and got the same price as I usually paid.
Original Poster
OneGloveOnTheFence34 m ago

Breakers yard for another door on the cheap perhaps?

If I even half knew what I was doing that would be an option if the lady was willing to resolve outside of insurance, or can I source the parts and show that with those available the cost to fix through insurance would now be less than writing off?
I thought that as the accident was not your fault you could insist that you and your car are put back to its original condition?
Perhaps educate her on how much her own insurance will go up if claiming through them.

I'd be wanting the car fixed too if it was me, age of a car is irrelevant if it's in good condition with low miles.

Maybe tell her you can get it done for £350 and see what she says.

£650 seems expensive for the job, look for a mobile mechanic in your area on yell.com or clickmechanic.com and see what they say.

Swapping a door isn't really a long and hard job, you can probably find one yourself for £30-£40 on ebay.

What year and colour is it?
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog18 m ago

I thought that as the accident was not your fault you could insist that …I thought that as the accident was not your fault you could insist that you and your car are put back to its original condition?

I wish this was the case but consensus seems to be that it doesn't work like that unfortunately. If it comes to it I'll definitely try anyway.

dataload12 m ago

Perhaps educate her on how much her own insurance will go up if claiming …Perhaps educate her on how much her own insurance will go up if claiming through them.I'd be wanting the car fixed too if it was me, age of a car is irrelevant if it's in good condition with low miles.Maybe tell her you can get it done for £350 and see what she says.£650 seems expensive for the job, look for a mobile mechanic in your area on yell.com or clickmechanic.com and see what they say.Swapping a door isn't really a long and hard job, you can probably find one yourself for £30-£40 on ebay.What year and colour is it?

1998 white Nissan Micra 1.3 gtx. Thanks I'll get another quote. Its not the door as such, it was dented but not destroyed, it's the front panel to the side of the hood that's not fixable and preventing the door opening. I think the quote was due to new part plus cost to spray it and fit etc.
delusion12 m ago

I wish this was the case but consensus seems to be that it doesn't work …I wish this was the case but consensus seems to be that it doesn't work like that unfortunately. If it comes to it I'll definitely try anyway. 1998 white Nissan Micra 1.3 gtx. Thanks I'll get another quote. Its not the door as such, it was dented but not destroyed, it's the front panel to the side of the hood that's not fixable and preventing the door opening. I think the quote was due to new part plus cost to spray it and fit etc.

This? Obviously needs painting but it's £49 delivered just to give you an idea of price.

33438011-gqcia.jpg
Original Poster
dataload2 m ago

This? Obviously needs painting but it's £49 delivered just to give you an …This? Obviously needs painting but it's £49 delivered just to give you an idea of price.[Image]

Ah thanks, and that would fit? Where do I find it?
sometimes the innocent suffer when these accidents happen, i once had a moped , that i used to get around work and such , and the exhaust dropped off, again told the price be 200_400, but then i just find generic one off eBay for few quid and my uncle will fix it, but why this was happening it was stolen and i wasn't sure about the whole process as it was first time, so when the police called there Said there found it and need a quick decision to recover it, i thought there meant bring it back but nope there's meant the car impound with it costly cost, there said don't worry insurance will sort it, called them up and once again i was too truthful to them, and there asked if steering lock was on, Which i said no, as it useless as there just dead easy to snap off, and so forth from there, insurance claim said no and i had a bike in impound with costly costs, that i couldn't afford,so felt like i was robbed twice.
delusion44 m ago

Ah thanks, and that would fit? Where do I find it?

EBay item number 253370343634

Send them your reg and they'll confirm if it's the right part for you.
Should be able to get a replacement door from a scrap yard to replace it for a lot less than £650.
Bigfootpete43 m ago

Should be able to get a replacement door from a scrap yard to replace it …Should be able to get a replacement door from a scrap yard to replace it for a lot less than £650.

The door is fine it wont open because the wing is deformed apparently. Not sure if they are bolt on or spot welded on a Micra, if bolt on an easy job, if spot welded then a garage job.

Is it this shape Micra OP? 33438930-IrIpp.jpg

If so its about half a dozen 10mm bolts so an easy job, ask on local facebook groups for any shadetree mechanics to give you a quote probably get it done for a few beers by a hobby mechanic, if you can get one in matching colour then I'd say £100 all in with the part and labour £150 tops, may be worth considering and pointing out to the bob (blind old ***** < choose appropriate b word ie bat, biddy, bleeder) that paying this would be less than her increased premium and excess costs.
Original Poster
harlzter29 m ago

The door is fine it wont open because the wing is deformed apparently. …The door is fine it wont open because the wing is deformed apparently. Not sure if they are bolt on or spot welded on a Micra, if bolt on an easy job, if spot welded then a garage job.Is it this shape Micra OP? [Image] If so its about half a dozen 10mm bolts so an easy job, ask on local facebook groups for any shadetree mechanics to give you a quote probably get it done for a few beers by a hobby mechanic, if you can get one in matching colour then I'd say £100 all in with the part and labour £150 tops, may be worth considering and pointing out to the bob (blind old ***** < choose appropriate b word ie bat, biddy, bleeder) that paying this would be less than her increased premium and excess costs.

Cheers yeh that looks similar, just had a colleague look at it and he might be able to fit it cheap if I find the part.

Hope so.

Thank you all for the replies, its really helped.
Just worth mentioning that if the car is written off you will loose the rest of the insurance as effectively it has paid out on a total loss. As such see if the other insurer will pay you directl as just a cash settlement, as this may entitle you to some refund, keep it on the existing car, or transfer to another one.
My circumstances were my car was an insurance write off. I was paid £650 From the other insurer direct, new rear pattern bumper £35 and an hours work all looked tidy again. Ok slight dent to the rear arch but hardly noticable and kept my insurance going.
delusion11 h, 32 m ago

I wish this was the case but consensus seems to be that it doesn't work …I wish this was the case but consensus seems to be that it doesn't work like that unfortunately. If it comes to it I'll definitely try anyway. 1998 white Nissan Micra 1.3 gtx. Thanks I'll get another quote. Its not the door as such, it was dented but not destroyed, it's the front panel to the side of the hood that's not fixable and preventing the door opening. I think the quote was due to new part plus cost to spray it and fit etc.

A couple of years ago someone hit my car, the car was worth around £1000, and they caused £1300 worth of damage, I put a claim in, it got fixed and their insurance company paid.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions