Someone hit my car...do i go through insurers or privately settle this?

Found 19th Feb 2013
Someone hit my car this morning, it was parked off street and was early morning. Luckily my mum was going to work and noted the number plate, it was by someone who lives further down on my road. I went to the person's house in the evening and the neighbour who saw me told me the car belongs to this lady (and that she hits alot of cars), I knocked at the door saw the husband, explained my situation and even he knew why I was at the door. He said let's talk tomorrow and gave me his number. Now my question is, should i go through insurance or not, im weary about going through the insurers as they might increase my insurance cost next year even though I was not at fault (they mess these things up easily), if I get it sorted outside, do I just need to get an invoice for damage costs at a local garage or something?
Community Updates
MiscCarInsurance
43 Comments
How much damage has been done? if the guy is willing to settle the cost of what I assume is very minor damage then why you would involve insurers is beyond me.
Dont forget to claim that you were having a lie down on the back seat and now have whiplash injuries! oO

So she drove off without telling anyone or leaving a note? Inform police!
oldmanhouse

After you get the money:-)
Original Poster
jonny619447

How much damage has been done? if the guy is willing to settle the cost … How much damage has been done? if the guy is willing to settle the cost of what I assume is very minor damage then why you would involve insurers is beyond me.

There is quite abit of indentation damage done to the driver's side front panel, I will get it assessed by a local garage tomorrow for the cost, i've never been in an accident or had damage done to my car previously so wasnt sure if i'd need to go through insurers.
Original Poster
oldmanhouse

Yes she drove off. The neighbour I spoke with was laughing when he heard that shes hit another car, she's even hit that neighbours car before. Seems like shes abit of a wreckless driver!
Some insurers say that regardless of whether you intend to claim, you should still notify them of any incidents.
Like said if its very minor damage easiest just to make cash settlement,
But if its something quite nasty i would definitely go through the insurance as it could get quite costly
It sounds a bit dodgy not even telling you about it so im not sure you can trust what there telling you.
You can always tell the insurance there has been a incident and they note it but dont make it formal so that would cover you slightly if later on you decided to tell them
what car is it and the age.
the front wings can work out quite costly with the paints an stuff
Original Poster
VW golf, silver, 06 plate
it sounds like you might need a new front wing fitted ,
and if so on your car i reckon your looking at minimum £300+ for a garage to do it someone who works for a garage may be able to give you a more accurate amount
Banned
That driver could just as easily have hit an inattentive kid.

Needs banned.

Get her done for failing to report an accident.
Did the other people who were hit previously get paid out?
Banned
It's not £300 it's £1000
I would report it to the police just to cover yourself - you don't want them phoning saying you are trying to get money out of an old lady.
Take the car to a garage and get a written estimate, if they are happy to pay for the damage as detailed in the estimate then great.
if not inform their insurance - you don't have to inform your own - and you will also be able to give the police ref. number because you will have already informed them at the beginning.
Police won't be interested in a report so don't bother there, I would try to get it repaired and be done with it, insurers do actually require you to tell them whether you claimed or not, but I wouldn't tell them because they will put your premium up. Just wait until tomorrow and see what happens.
Original Poster
DAMNOME

I would report it to the police just to cover yourself - you don't want … I would report it to the police just to cover yourself - you don't want them phoning saying you are trying to get money out of an old lady.Take the car to a garage and get a written estimate, if they are happy to pay for the damage as detailed in the estimate then great.if not inform their insurance - you don't have to inform your own - and you will also be able to give the police ref. number because you will have already informed them at the beginning.

Thanks alot for the information guys, this is very useful. I will certainly report it to the police as well now to cover myself in the process.
Banned
Plus you should get her done for driving off without reporting it
superspeedy

Thanks alot for the information guys, this is very useful. I will … Thanks alot for the information guys, this is very useful. I will certainly report it to the police as well now to cover myself in the process.

Remember if the police contact the person who hit your car, they could get shirty and refuse to pay, or even deny it happening. Which I have seen before and the insurance won't pay out, which will leave you out of pocket trying to claim as you will have to tell your insurance company.
squillion

Plus you should get her done for driving off without reporting it

It's not a bit and run, just a dent!!
steve01980

Some insurers say that regardless of whether you intend to claim, you … Some insurers say that regardless of whether you intend to claim, you should still notify them of any incidents.

From my experience of notifying them of any little incident, it can seriously bite you on the ass.

Banned
Repeat offender.

Any one of those could have been a pram
jonny619447

From my experience of notifying them of any little incident, it can … From my experience of notifying them of any little incident, it can seriously bite you on the ass.

Which is why working with the other party is 10 times better than doing the official report and claim.
squillion

Repeat offender.Any one of those could have been a pram

The world we live in, where the press governs us and insurance companies deal with offenders.
Banned
the car belongs to this lady (and that she hits alot of cars),
I seem to attract cars hitting me, infact one got hit 3 times in 6 month. Over the years I've had some settle privately, and some through the insurance, maybe I'm unlucky, but every time I've settled privately there has always been niggles and I've had no comeback. Tell the insurance. You owe this person nothing, she didn't have the courtesy to inform you, do you think she will make an effort to be fair if you go private?

Also as squillion said next time it could be a person rather than a car, she needs the warning, if it takes her insurance premium going up to teach her to be more careful, then at least that achieved.
Original Poster
She was driving one of these Lexus RX, Silver, 3.0 , but a 51 plate

http://www.autoweb.co.uk/dealer_sites/car_pix/used-lexus-rx-013383890972867.jpg

Edited by: "superspeedy" 19th Feb 2013
skellysgirl

I seem to attract cars hitting me, infact one got hit 3 times in 6 month. … I seem to attract cars hitting me, infact one got hit 3 times in 6 month. Over the years I've had some settle privately, and some through the insurance, maybe I'm unlucky, but every time I've settled privately there has always been niggles and I've had no comeback. Tell the insurance. You owe this person nothing, she didn't have the courtesy to inform you, do you think she will make an effort to be fair if you go private?Also as squillion said next time it could be a person rather than a car, she needs the warning, if it takes her insurance premium going up to teach her to be more careful, then at least that achieved.

From experience, good luck trying to prove it, insurers don't work like honest people, they do what they can to avoid paying unless blame is obvious (admitted) - you are right in what you are saying though, but the easiest route is private.
Original Poster
I will see what happens tomorrow. A good friend of mine owns the local garage near me, so he said he will take a look tomorrow and draft me an estimated cost.
This woman was prepared to say nothing to you and if she hadn't been seen then would have happily got away with it, leaving you to fork out for the repair yourself. Depending on how much its going to cost I would be more likely to go through her insurance.
Banned
I'd get the rozzers in
If you don't report it and the other person messes you around, your insurance company will not assist you. You should report it without delay. A new wing fitted will cost around the £700-£1000 mark as suggested by squillion and not £300. The police won't assist as the accident needs to be reported within 24 hours if details are not exchanged. If you know who it is, they'll ask you to let your insurance company deal with it
Having been in this situation myself, I'd definitely report it to both the police and insurance, you have an independent witness which makes your case much stronger.

Since its their fault your insurance won't rise next year nor will you lose any no claims bonus, the only way to get these people off the road is to get the accidents on their record not cover it up by settling off the record and why should you do them a favour by keeping their insurance premium down when they were happy to try and get away with it leaving you a bill?

If you haven't already, go get some photos of any damage on their vehicle as you may need them later
" Lets talk tomorrow "

Big mistake right there......
Cakeisalie

Having been in this situation myself, I'd definitely report it to both … Having been in this situation myself, I'd definitely report it to both the police and insurance, you have an independent witness which makes your case much stronger. Since its their fault your insurance won't rise next year nor will you lose any no claims bonus, the only way to get these people off the road is to get the accidents on their record not cover it up by settling off the record and why should you do them a favour by keeping their insurance premium down when they were happy to try and get away with it leaving you a bill? If you haven't already, go get some photos of any damage on their vehicle as you may need them later

The last time someone drove into the back of my car, I was sitting in the car while it was happening, I got out and told her to stop reversing into my car, and claiming through the insurance got me nowhere, the police even knocked on my door about a month later saying a complaint had been made about my attitude towards the woman. Useless.
Cakeisalie

Having been in this situation myself, I'd definitely report it to both … Having been in this situation myself, I'd definitely report it to both the police and insurance, you have an independent witness which makes your case much stronger. Since its their fault your insurance won't rise next year nor will you lose any no claims bonus, the only way to get these people off the road is to get the accidents on their record not cover it up by settling off the record and why should you do them a favour by keeping their insurance premium down when they were happy to try and get away with it leaving you a bill? If you haven't already, go get some photos of any damage on their vehicle as you may need them later

Your insurance will rise when you declare the accident on your next policy, I had a small non-fault accident, the guy ignored my calls until the insurance got involved, then his dad settled with me privately. My quote went up and my sisters insurance went up by £17 because I'm a named driver, they say drivers who have been involved in an accident, regardless of fault, are more likely to claim in the future. I'd hold off on contacting them for a few days, I did and my insurer didn't question it. I also informed the police as the other party fled from the scene and only stopped when they saw me in pursuit.
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 19th Feb 2013
Batter the beach and her husband, smash up their car and walk away. Don't claim a penny. You're above all that.
if its minor damage and you won't actually get it repaired, get a quote and offer to settle for that amount(pocket the money), if it needs repairing then go through insurers.
ceres

Whether you claim on your insurance or not, you're legally obliged to … Whether you claim on your insurance or not, you're legally obliged to inform them of the accident. Insurance is a special kind of contract which is 'uberimmae fidei' - in utmost good faith. It means you must disclose anything which might be material to their assessment of your level of risk. An accident, no fault or not, is material information. If you don't you may find yourself uninsured when you need it.As the other party damaged someone else's property and drove off, they've committed an offence so you should inform the Police too.

Insurance is legalised crime as far as I am concerned, all they are missing is their swag bag. This is something I wouldn't tell them.
Repeat offender and let's talk tomorrow I'm thinking she may have been drunk?!?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions