Someone is trying to log in to my Steam/EA account.

Posted 5th Nov
so, why?
I've changed my passwords on my more important accounts/email/paypal etc

but why would anyone try those sites in particular?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
To sell access to your account via Ebay, forums, etc at a few pounds a go.

Edit - to be more specific, it's any account that is worth something to someone. Sites that have access to games, points to exchange for food/drink, streaming sites, etc. They use apps to check previously hacked databases for the e-mail / password combination against many different sites in one go.
Edited by: "drasim" 5th Nov
Set up Steam Guard 2fa.
I dont really have anything in EA or Steam, Garys mod and portal stuff. I had an email from Steam Guard that told me "The login attempt included your correct account name and password." and an IP address that points to China.
I'm changing passwords on other sites now, a right PITA.
It's not me.
Yeah I had that a few years ago so I decided to research into it all. It's mostly teenagers that do it or are interested in the accounts.
Game based accounts are very popular, but accounts that have access to latest games are usually highlighted as such and worth more. Example - go on Ebay and search "Borderlands 3 account"
Both me and the OH had our emails hacked a few weeks back but whoever did it was after bigger things. They kept resetting passwords on Amazon and caught them deleting the reset email from Amazon in front of my very eyes. They had tried to place an order for an X-box and some games to go to an Amazon delivery box in London - luckily we take our card details off Amazon after placing orders so they didn't get anywhere. Also got an email from Amazon Mexico saying I'd opened an account with them. Went on chat with Amazon to sort and they were very 'matter of fact' about it. Within 24 hours it had sunk in with them and they emailed me to say account had been compromised. Change passwords on the emails and that sorted it but now use a different email on Amazon ,etc.
Don't have QWERTY as your password
same thing happened to me eventually i stopped getting the emails
I get them every few months from steam, 2fa foils them anyway.
yorkie1205/11/2019 08:31

Both me and the OH had our emails hacked a few weeks back but whoever did …Both me and the OH had our emails hacked a few weeks back but whoever did it was after bigger things. They kept resetting passwords on Amazon and caught them deleting the reset email from Amazon in front of my very eyes. They had tried to place an order for an X-box and some games to go to an Amazon delivery box in London - luckily we take our card details off Amazon after placing orders so they didn't get anywhere. Also got an email from Amazon Mexico saying I'd opened an account with them. Went on chat with Amazon to sort and they were very 'matter of fact' about it. Within 24 hours it had sunk in with them and they emailed me to say account had been compromised. Change passwords on the emails and that sorted it but now use a different email on Amazon ,etc.

Set up Amazon 2fa.

Next!
Change steam email as well as 2FA
I lost my Steam account ages ago.
Can only get back in if I can give them receipt numbers, log into accounts I haven't used in years etc.
Edited by: "xenole" 7th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants