Expired

Someone scratched my car, now I am sad.

Found 10th Mar 2016
I've got a 2015 Zafira Tourer, In silver..

I went into Tesco was in for about 40 minutes doing a shop..

I returned to my car to find someone had banged their door against mine and left 3 small scratch lines.. gutted, who ever did it was gone maybe they didn't do it intentionally maybe they didn't notice?

That was until I noticed both passenger side door handles, with an intentional Key scratch under each handle! so whoever scratched my car wasn't content with damaging my door, they felt the need to purposely add 2 more scratches!

It's the first time we have ever owned a brand new car, and as such its our pride and joy and we take care of it so well.. I can't understand the mindset of someone wanting to do this other than envy.

I did ask Tesco about CCTV but they said it didn't cover the car park, and there was no car when I arrived and none when I left.

put some pics below if interested, doesn't look so bad in photos.

anyone know how much scratches like these cost to fix or is it not worth it?
Community Updates
AskCar
61 Comments
My mom had her car scratched a couple of weeks ago, looked worse than that tbh. She paid around £150 i think she said. Vauxhall quoted her over double what she paid.
That looks like it might cut out with T-cut. Have you had a go? Might be worse than it looks in the pic.
Don't take my favourite parking spot in future, I had to teach you a lesson
So sorry to hear about this happening to your car! I also have had my car hit by others opening their doors against my car - so annoying and expensive!
deleted261453
Round door handles can be made by people wearing rings.
My wife's door handle is riddled in em.
T-cut with a bit of elbow grease works wonders.
Someone could have been wearing rings and checking to see if you car was open

Gutted for you though, our car got wrote off a few months back when a drunk driver hit it whilst it was parked up outside my home at 1am.
Wife was heartbroke it was her pride and joy

Edited by: "deleted261453" 10th Mar 2016
Are you sure those scratches in the handle wells weren't there before? Very common to scratch those areas with your rings when opening the doors.

Or perhaps some potential thief as tried all the handles hoping that a door might be unlocked?.

Anyway they'll probably and hopefully tcut out.

Wait until you get cats jumping all over your bonnet, You have to be careful not to spoke them or your bonnet gets even more scratched :(. They love the warmth.
Somebody put a massive dent on our door, they were opening their door and the wind caught it. They left a note on our windscreen, never saw it till we were at home the next day. So lucky the note didn't blow away. There are some good people out there.
Edited by: "Wyley100" 11th Mar 2016
Colour Magic, the one with the free chip stick.
Rub the stick over the area against the grain of the scratch. Warm the area with a hairdryer and polish the wax in. Repeat over and over. The scratches will (almost) vanish.

Someone pushed a supermarket trolley down the side of my wife's car and after 2 hours of doing this, you can't see the scratches unless you go looking for them.
deleted261453
OldEnglish

That looks like it might cut out with T-cut. Have you had a go? Might be … That looks like it might cut out with T-cut. Have you had a go? Might be worse than it looks in the pic.

geebeegooner

Round door handles can be made by people wearing rings.My wife's door … Round door handles can be made by people wearing rings.My wife's door handle is riddled in em.T-cut with a bit of elbow grease works wonders. Someone could have been wearing rings and checking to see if you car was openGutted for you though, our car got wrote off a few months back when a drunk driver hit it whilst it was parked up outside my home at 1am.Wife was heartbroke it was her pride and joy

Long story short, my friend and neighbours saw it just after it happened.
He drove off, my mate who is solicitor found him down the road where his vehicle could no longer drive.
He took pic of him inside the van.
He got arrested, charged and lost his licence.
He was in a works van that he'd only worked for 2 weeks and lost his job.
Tough lesson but our car could have saved someone life I suppose.

Anyway back on topic, hopefully T-cut will work as we've had similar looking scratches and after a couple of attempts you can't see them.
Good luck.
OldEnglish

That looks like it might cut out with T-cut. Have you had a go? Might be … That looks like it might cut out with T-cut. Have you had a go? Might be worse than it looks in the pic.

geebeegooner

Round door handles can be made by people wearing rings.My wife's door … Round door handles can be made by people wearing rings.My wife's door handle is riddled in em.T-cut with a bit of elbow grease works wonders. Someone could have been wearing rings and checking to see if you car was openGutted for you though, our car got wrote off a few months back when a drunk driver hit it whilst it was parked up outside my home at 1am.Wife was heartbroke it was her pride and joy

Have a look on facebook for some detailing groups and they might be able to offer some advice. I would recommend looking for better products other than T-Cut
+1 for t-cut works wonders.
I know the feeling. A year ago I got up on a Saturday morning to run some errands and walked around my car to see a huge dent on my rear passenger door and over the rear tyre. Someone had hit my car and fled the scene without as much as a note being left behind and of course nobody saw what had happened. I cried in anger as I've always been so careful and to have this happen with no fault of my own. It cost me almost £700 out of my own pocket just to avoid claiming on my insurance. I know it doesn't change things but at least in your case it may have been unknowingly and accidently done...but it could have been much worse.
I think you need a new car
are you sure the scratches aren't off a sticky out twig on the side of the road. my daughter's brand new car is full of them as she tends to drive too close to the curb on country lanes. also I took out scratch and dint insurance with honestjohn didn't cost much and have already used it. absolutely faultless too from start to finish
Not worth 25k now, Its second hand and full of scratches lol.

Sorry :(, Their are better products than tcut but that's the most common.
Don't use t-cut, it's very abrasive, do some research and find a softer rubbing compound. I think something called G3 may be better.
pugit666

Don't use t-cut, it's very abrasive, do some research and find a softer … Don't use t-cut, it's very abrasive, do some research and find a softer rubbing compound. I think something called G3 may be better.

Glad you told me this, i've been using as a lubricant for years. I wondered what the rash was. oO
deleted57959

Mine seems petty now comapred to some, first world problems eh! lol.. but … Mine seems petty now comapred to some, first world problems eh! lol.. but its a 25K car and I for one think thats a hell of a lot of money, some people just dont seem to care.. my brother in law is pretty well off he has a couple of plder sports cars like a Toyota Supra and Porsche in his garage, his mrs has a big SUV too but he also drives an Audi A7 Sportsback, at 50K i wouldnt take it over 30MPH lol, but its absolutely full of stone chips and light scratch marks, and when i mention it, he doesnt care says he swaps it every few years for a newer one and trades the old one in! more money than sense i tell him lol.

I couldn't justify spending 25k on a car to take to the supermarket or leave parked up in the street, i often wondered why people park nice motors in the corner of the supermarket car park & walk half a mile in the rain to get their shopping.
I've just got an old diesel that looks pretty rough, but the engine is looked after & it's never let me down in all the years i've owned it & i would be happy to drive it anywhere, even though it's 15 years old now. The wife's got a newer motor, but tbh it never gets used for this very reason.
OldEnglish

Glad you told me this, i've been using as a lubricant for years. I … Glad you told me this, i've been using as a lubricant for years. I wondered what the rash was. oO

You wife did say that age had made you a smaller man and wanted a fuller tool box.
Well the Craigslist advert implied it anyway.
If only she knew.
Don't use T cut on deep scratches. It opens the scratch up, as If it were a wound on skin, and it'll look 10 times worse.
Edited by: "SJHan" 10th Mar 2016
Oneday77

You wife did say that age had made you a smaller man and wanted a fuller … You wife did say that age had made you a smaller man and wanted a fuller tool box. Well the Craigslist advert implied it anyway.If only she knew.

I know,but it's really shinny now.
I got a lease car just over a year ago.
Parked up in Tesco Carpark, with plenty of room between me and the next car.
Silly me, the moron in the 7 series with huge doors still managed to ding my door.

No note, no apology, no nothing.

My advice is don't do anything right now. Give it a year, then get the car properly details\mopped. You'll pick up more scratches etc and they will all disappear in one.
OldEnglish

I know,but it's really shinny now.

You should put a shin pad on as a splint then
I doubt it was done with envy, silver coloured cars are now noughties trend...probably someone with a grudge of post millennium silver

Pity that the particular Tesco you frequent does not have CCTV on the Car Park so you could identify the silver hating varmint who did this atrocity.

Oneday77

You should put a shin pad on as a splint then

I might need to use a Cricket pad, but thank's for the advice. X)
cicobuff

I doubt it was done with envy, silver coloured cars are now noughties … I doubt it was done with envy, silver coloured cars are now noughties trend...probably someone with a grudge of post millennium silver :DPity that the particular Tesco you frequent does not have CCTV on the Car Park so you could identify the silver hating varmint who did this atrocity.

If he keeps it 10 years it will be all the rage again. I remember when you used to have to pay more for nice metallic paint.
Banned
Its just a car get over it
deleted57959

I only picked silver, because it doesn't show dirt :).. well thats my … I only picked silver, because it doesn't show dirt :).. well thats my experience, i guess it shows scratches just as well as others.

True ...could have also considered brown.....

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/09/article-2321783-0E0CF57B00000578-68_634x356.jpg
Banned
I cant make it put! All I can see in each photo is a car wheel!
If it's a £25k car, why would you consider messing about and not get it repaired professionally? Will cost nothing compared the value of the car

It must be terrifying when you have a new car and see trollies blowing sounds car parks in the wind. Saw one smash into a car really fast not long ago.
Banned
moneysavingkitten

If it's a £25k car, why would you consider messing about and not get it … If it's a £25k car, why would you consider messing about and not get it repaired professionally? Will cost nothing compared the value of the car :SIt must be terrifying when you have a new car and see trollies blowing sounds car parks in the wind. Saw one smash into a car really fast not long ago.

Had they cut you up previously/ X)
Brand new car I would get it fixed professionally rather than trying it yourself if it bothers you. I've got a few marks on my car but it's nowt special and doesn't bother me. I've probably got the one of the worst cars on my estate lol,everyone else has flashy modern cars.
Should of bought one of these instead, Much nicer to drive and nicer interior.

http://cdn.wp.driving.co.uk/get/2015/04/972416_FordGeneva2015_S-MAX_02.jpg
365pizza

Had they cut you up previously/ X)

I am not the wind Sometimes I have wind, but not enough to move a trolly!
When I'm in the Maserati I only shop at Waitrose, loads of free spaces on the outer parts of the car park, then people can see me walking back across the car park to get in it too.
airfix

When I'm in the Maserati I only shop at Waitrose, loads of free spaces on … When I'm in the Maserati I only shop at Waitrose, loads of free spaces on the outer parts of the car park, then people can see me walking back across the car park to get in it too.

I do the same with my Ferrari

http://s21.postimg.org/bfj0hsp3r/323663.jpg
one_way

Its just a car get over it

I bet you say that to all the women.

http://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2010/09/22/9300d737-a642-11e2-a3f0-029118418759/thumbnail/620x350/fe22b6adc828feef80f9b5ec2914bc88/bikini-car-wash-real.jpg
As somebody once said, the first cut is the deepest. By the end of the year it will be that riddled in scuffs and dings, you'll wonder what you were thinking.
When we got our first car from new, I was out polishing it a couple of times a week.
Then the wife passed her test. I swear to God it was in a Panzer.
First one should polish out but hard to tell from a pic but the other 2 (or 1 if its just 2 different shots) definitely looks like it won't.

General rule is that if you run your finger nail over it lightly and can feel a ridge, it won't polish out.

If it's just the clear coat (which looks like it is on the first pic) then it will rub out or certainly polish up to be a lot better than what it was. If it's beyond the clear coat, which the door handles are, it will need a proper job.

You can get touch up kits for your exact paint code if you go to a main dealer, much better than a generic 'magic pen' or suchlike but to be honest, trying either will probably end up looking worse.

Personally, I'd give the scuff a go with a good polish and not T-Cut as like others have said, it is very abrasive and modern car paint isn't very tough. Try something like G3 or Scratch-X may be more readily available as somewhere like Halfords should stock that and it's still a good polish.

With the doors though, I'd just leave them. Again, as others have said, these will most likely be from rings or holding keys in your hand whilst opening the door - I've got a 17 year old car as a track car and if you look at the door handles on that, you'd think a lion has owned and driven it all it's life! I doubt someone did them deliberately but if they did, you are very lucky that is all they did!
moneysavingkitten

If it's a £25k car, why would you consider messing about and not get it … If it's a £25k car, why would you consider messing about and not get it repaired professionally? Will cost nothing compared the value of the car :SIt must be terrifying when you have a new car and see trollies blowing sounds car parks in the wind. Saw one smash into a car really fast not long ago.

This^ was it yesterday OP
It was insanely windy
not that I was in the vicinity or anything

good luck with silk cut or whatever it is
but at the end of the day it is just a car
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions