Someone to fix red ring of death near Cambridge?

My Xbox initially buggered up before I went to uni, now on returning for the summer it seems to have the RROD, brilliant....

Is there anyone on the forum near me who can fix it?

Cheers

15 Comments

Banned

isnt this covered by 3 year thingie ma jig

I got mine fixed from ]here.
They are in Birmingham, but you can send the console in. No Fix No Fee, and guaranteed for 6 months.

Original Poster

Thanks for the link. I really wanted someone local, I have googled and haven't found a company, so wondered if anyone could do it themselves. Out of interest, how much did you pay?

The drive is flashed, so Microsoft won't touch it.

It was £50. Mine was flashed too, they didn't care.
Cheaper than going to the hassle of buying a new arcade and flashing it etc.

Lol, this possibly wont appeal to you... but there are youtube videos on how to fix it yourself. Obviously theres a chance you'll duck it up totally..

Original Poster

I might give it a go. There seems to be a temporary fix which involves wrapping it in towels, letting it reset itself and then it works for about 2 days!

titley;5387698

I might give it a go. There seems to be a temporary fix which involves … I might give it a go. There seems to be a temporary fix which involves wrapping it in towels, letting it reset itself and then it works for about 2 days!

Lol, DO NOT DO THE TOWEL TRICK! It works for about 5 minutes, and seriously screws up other internal components.

titley;5387698

I might give it a go. There seems to be a temporary fix which involves … I might give it a go. There seems to be a temporary fix which involves wrapping it in towels, letting it reset itself and then it works for about 2 days!

there was another video which involved a coin. I forget exactly how it worked.

Jed Maxwell;5388745

there was another video which involved a coin. I forget exactly how it … there was another video which involved a coin. I forget exactly how it worked.

What, Goin down to the arcade and putting a coin in the machines for it to work :whistling:

Original Poster

Seems that people on ebay will do it for £20 - anyone used someone like this?

Or buy a reliable console in the first place seems the best advice....

dean3988;5388765

What, Goin down to the arcade and putting a coin in the machines for it … What, Goin down to the arcade and putting a coin in the machines for it to work :whistling:

yea. you run along and do that for me will you.

ebay - x clamps. it'll cost about £3.50 if you have a torx set and patience.

a friend has just got the 3 red lights rrod. It is untampered and within 3 years warranty. Do they fix for free? And how long do they take to repair?

Our xbox recently got the rrod and hubbie was ready to buy new one as it was more than 2 years old (his solution to most things that go wrong; surprised he's still married to me!!). However checked on microsoft site and they are extending the warranty to cover this problem. Sent an email with label to arrange collection with UPS, who turned up within 30 minutes of ordering collection online:thumbsup: and one week later Microsoft sent us a brand new machine:):) Fantastic service that I think deserves a big round of applause, given how awful most companies are when anything goes wrong with their products!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763948
    2. What an absolute disgrace2150
    3. GOT Leaks again416
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846084

See more discussions