Expired

Someone who knows about DVLA/ driving bans/ points...

Found 2nd Nov 2012
This is a long story which i would finally like to the answer too...

passed my test November 2008
caught speeding august 2009
given 6 points and an £80 fine in court in February 2010

now technically because i was given 6 points within 2 years i should of had my license revoked and had a full retest. BUT i was given my original license and counterpart back there and then with the points hand written and no disqualification period or letter of revocation.

at the time i thought this was normal and applied for my provisional and retook and passed my test a few months back. (since being at university and not needing a license at the time, i was not in a rush to get it back) Once i passed i handed in my original counterpart and got another back in the post with a new license. (my driving instructor questioned why i still had my originals)

so i now have two 'full' and apparently valid driving licenses....

so the question is have i been a complete idiot and did i really need to take my test again or is this normal procedure or an administration error?!
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
Me, no offence but i'd go for 'idiot'. You had a licence why take it again, the only fail you have done is that unless lost or stolen you are supposed to return any previous license to DVLA.

I also maybe wrong, but if i had a valid licence i wouldn't be taking it again!!!
Lol, should have only gone for retest on dvla request.
thats are fair point, no offence taken! But what if the license was given back to me in error and i had started driving again.. would i not be in an even worse situation?!
and i also wonder why i was issued with a new provisional and full license if this original is valid, surely someone would have noticed!
Ah its the dvla, they only notice dollar signs.
Just think yourself lucky you didn't have to do extended retest and pay 80quid.
geforce

thats are fair point, no offence taken! But what if the license was given … thats are fair point, no offence taken! But what if the license was given back to me in error and i had started driving again.. would i not be in an even worse situation?!

It was not your error, and to be honest it depends what situation you was in. If you then got back in your car and piled through a zebra crossing out side a school at home time and skittled the kids all over the place then i'm sure people may question your driving skills, but if you just carried on with your top class driving for the next 5 to 6 years just up date your licence if need be, photo licence pictures have to be updated every 10 years, but i don't think anyone will really care!!!
haha oh dear. oO think i may phone them up tomorrow and get to the bottom of this. someone has clearly made a mistake somewhere...
You can check the current status of the licence online as well

gov.uk/vie…nce
newbie1001

You can check the current status of the licence online as … You can check the current status of the licence online as wellhttps://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence#before-you-start

ahh thanks for that, ive just checked,

its got my current (recently passed) license details, as well as details on the offence reading:

Offence SP30 - Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public roadDate of … Offence SP30 - Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public roadDate of offence 03/08/2009Convicting court XXXXXXDate of conviction 09/02/2010Fine (GBP) 80.00Penalty points 6Other disqualification details Test pass revoked (repassed)Rehabilitation course completed Not right nowRemains on record until XXXXXXand my driver entitlements for cars reading entitled to drive XX from 18/11/2008 to 17/02/2061

still doesn't really answer why i still have my originals though!
If i wished to hire a car from hertz or similar i know they ask for a minimum of 1 year experience, would i be right in thinking the information held suggests i could go ahead and hire seeing as i passed my 'original test; in 2008?
You should surrender your old licence to DVLA with a covering letter. Your old licence is no longer valid and therefore you should not use it to hire a car as you would not be eligible for their insurance. The minimum 1 year experience is for continuous driving experience on your current VALID driving licence. Your old licence was revoked and therefore continuity expired with disqualification.
How did you use the dvla service to check your licence? been trying to do that for months. How do you get a gateway username and password?
J4GG4

How did you use the dvla service to check your licence? been trying to do … How did you use the dvla service to check your licence? been trying to do that for months. How do you get a gateway username and password?

You have this if you applied for a photo driving licence online. Does not work if you have a paper licence.
The Therapist

You have this if you applied for a photo driving licence online. Does not … You have this if you applied for a photo driving licence online. Does not work if you have a paper licence.

Thank you but i am not 90 years old.. I have a photo licence lol.
J4GG4

Thank you but i am not 90 years old.. I have a photo licence lol.

LOL
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions