Groups
    EXPIRED

Something to cover the bottom of my bay window?

Hi,

I live in a flat and have a big bay window. The curtains I have are terrible, they're abit seethrough. Because of this I tend to keep the curtains shut when it gets dark and have a habit of leaving them closed when I'm in during the day.

I wondered if there is anything I can buy to block out the lower half of the windows? Maybe like those chinese screens people use to get dressed behind? That would be great as then I can have the curtains open but not feel like people can peer through the curtains and I won't be bothered about leaving the curtains open.

I could get some backing for the curtains but I've been told this will cost at least £50 and as I'm only renting the flat from a private landlord, I can't justify the cost.

Many thanks.

13 Comments

The only thing I can think of is putting up slatted blinds and angling them open but tilted up to allow light into the room still but giving you privacy. However as you are renting and it being a bay window I would think you would need three sets of blinds which would be very expensive, more expensive than lined curtains

Original Poster

Thanks. Hey I just wondeded, maybe I should use a windbreak. Anyone know of any with legs that stand up on their own?

You can get glass frosting spray at homebase.

Original Poster

Excellent idea, good thinking! Is it easy to get that stuff off?

generaloneill;6704227

You can get glass frosting spray at homebase.

Now you are onto something there! Just looked up this, instead of spray, glass frosting window films ]http//ww…4Mw

]http//ww…tml

]http//**…df9

last link there is ebay, HUKD filter it out.

Or even good old net curtains.

Original Poster

Interesting. I think it may be safer and cheaper to buy that spray and buy some perspex sheets. I could cut the shapes of the bottom of the windows in the perspex , spray then with the snow stuff then tape them to the window frame. Only trouble is I won't be able to open the windows. But that isn't such a big deal as I have a window in the corridoor I can open and it's a fairly airy place.

generaloneill;6704355

Or even good old net curtains.

The OP just wanted to block out the bottom of the window though, can you get net curtains to do that? I think your great idea of the frosted paint by masking off the rest of the area and painting upto said area, or instead using adhesive frosted window film are the best ideas

sotomonkey;6704389

Interesting. I think it may be safer and cheaper to buy that spray and … Interesting. I think it may be safer and cheaper to buy that spray and buy some perspex sheets. I could cut the shapes of the bottom of the windows in the perspex , spray then with the snow stuff then tape them to the window frame. Only trouble is I won't be able to open the windows. But that isn't such a big deal as I have a window in the corridoor I can open and it's a fairly airy place.

Or just use glass frosted window film adhesives as I suggested above, thats got to be the simple idea, buying a roll of that, cutting to size, peeling off when you move out.

Original Poster

Yeah that is a good idea but I'm worried it won't come off.

Perspex isn't cheap either.

sotomonkey;6704452

Yeah that is a good idea but I'm worried it won't come off.

Check out the ebay link I provided, it states its easily removable when you want it to be :thumbsup: All it is is self adhesive vinyl on glass, no harm.

I've used static cling window film and it's really good. Sticks well and peels off when needed.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Samsung Galaxy S666
      2. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2636
      3. Family Spotify account21
      4. Legal advice22

See more discussions