Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work

Found 23rd Aug 2017
Info here

If you don't accept their new T&Cs, your existing devices may ceased to function.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
13 Comments
Sonus, cool in 2007....not in 2017!
groenleader2 m ago

Sonus, cool in 2007....not in 2017!

Sonos 2007+
They will all do this soon enough. This is the reason I decided not to have one of these (this kind of device).
Yep every company that makes a device with a computer chip will do this by 2020, this data is big business
Data is the New Farming.
Same with smart TVs.
They will need to comply with laws regarding data collection and if the laws need changing to prevent any intrusions then the law makers need to start doing so, although many might not be aware of such a policy unless people start telling them.

The best policy to have with such a company though is simply not to buy any of their new products and force them into a back down and for those that already own them, start knocking on the doors of your MP's and regulators and scream injustice.

People have power but all too often they are too lazy or apathetic to exercise it.
Edited by: "reddit" 24th Aug 2017
Original Poster
I wonder if people can get a full refund for products they already bought ... if they don't accept their new T&Cs, since their gadgets stopped functioning.
iDealYou3 m ago

I wonder if people can get a full refund for products they already bought …I wonder if people can get a full refund for products they already bought ... if they don't accept their new T&Cs, since their gadgets stopped functioning.

I'm sure there must be some law against them deliberately rendering your equipment useless.
So sonos can monitor your music habits? Or is it more than that?
EN1GMA25th Aug

So sonos can monitor your music habits? Or is it more than that?

they will monitor how often you fart, then will work out how soon you need new underpants and then sell the data to sports direct
deeky24th Aug

I'm sure there must be some law against them deliberately rendering your …I'm sure there must be some law against them deliberately rendering your equipment useless.

If there is, it's horribly enforced. It happens thing things all the time. TV's, phones, computers, things made of plastic that are built like crap.

Googling built in obsolescence, it looks like France is the only country to have a law against it and the EU have only started looking into it:

en.wikipedia.org/wik…nce

I suppose the 6 year rule might come into play, but it hasn't broken has it? You're refusing to install updates.

Plus it already exists in so many other forms. What do you think would happen if you tried to make Alexa stop spying on you? Or a smart TV? Or gmail?
Edited by: "MSK." 27th Aug 2017
A German group has called Microsoft on their BS tactics with W10 and won in the highest court so I'd like to see other countries attack software companies with anti user practices.

hothardware.com/new…des
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions