Son's first Gaming PC - looking for help!

Found 31st Aug 2017
Hi folks - I've used advice from the wise users of HotUKDeals to buy half of the tech stuff in my house.

Time has come to get my son his first gaming PC. It seem's he's outgrown minecraft on my ps4 and want's his own PC.

It's a long time since I built a rig - but I'm capable of doing it at a push, however it's a mountain of research to get up to speed on the cpu/motherboard/case/lights/cooling etc. Hunting around - it looks like the components will outprice the benefit of building my own.

Looking to spend max £350. All it needs to do for now is run minecraft, but I want some wriggle room for next couple of years. He's only young so won't be on Destiny 2 for a while... but something that will last a while at least.

I'm tempted to get this: amazon.co.uk/GAM…h=1

Probably without a video card and pick up a MSI GeForce GT 710 2 GB Graphics Card for £35 and add it in myself.

Already have monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse. Lots of flashing lights and bright colours, which I know he'll love too.

Please - any other ideas? Any thoughts on that system? Just don't seem to be any deals getting linked for low-end desktop/tower systems.

Please help me folks!!!!!

MajorCheese
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Original Poster
Should I re-post this as a 'deal'? That's where I tend to read all the best advice, often with pros posting rival deals... which are the ones I end up buying.
Original Poster
Well i tried to post as a deal and it was deleted.
It depends on how much your looking to spend. I'm currently pricing 1 up for my son while on holiday.

As a basis it's approx £500 for board cpu an ram
Don't do it. He will end up as a zombie locked away in his room and you will never see him again. You will hear him though as he hammers on the keyboard and shouts at/with all his online gaming friends.

Whatever you buy now will be upgraded in a couple of months as he must have the best mechanical keyboard or some super mouse or the monitor is not fast enough (or big enough or wide enough or enough of them).

Or is that just my son?
paul123edwards26 m ago

Don't do it. He will end up as a zombie locked away in his room and you …Don't do it. He will end up as a zombie locked away in his room and you will never see him again. You will hear him though as he hammers on the keyboard and shouts at/with all his online gaming friends.Whatever you buy now will be upgraded in a couple of months as he must have the best mechanical keyboard or some super mouse or the monitor is not fast enough (or big enough or wide enough or enough of them).Or is that just my son?

Well that just took a turn...
Edited by: "Funky_DealFinder" 31st Aug 2017
Hi can’t game on a 730 he needs a cheap RYZEN and maybe a rx560 for that price hope it helps
Original Poster
I do realise the risk of him ending up locked in his room. But I was a gamer myself so can't really expect less.

Puddles - it's very basic gaming at this stage - I was hoping for a basic rig that I could then upgrade the graphics card at a later date. Is a Ryzen that much better? It's only basic Minecraft at this stage really.

Seen another system of ebay for £300 all in and it's an i5 core cpu and 8gm ram. Sounds ok - but again a crap card. Costs just keep going up though.

Cunny - £500 is too much atm. I was hoping for under £200 when I got into this....
Why not admit defeat on the PC front and get him a Raspberry Pi and install Retropie. Then you can introduce him to some classics whilst you save for a better PC.
Cunny8 h, 17 m ago

It depends on how much your looking to spend. I'm currently pricing 1 up …It depends on how much your looking to spend. I'm currently pricing 1 up for my son while on holiday.As a basis it's approx £500 for board cpu an ram

£500? Are you building skynet or are you missing components from your list? £500 board CPU and RAM gets you an i7 and 16GB of DDR4, way too much for OP needs. Overall budget for OP can be under £500, easily.
So least we have a budget to work to
paul123edwards7 h, 14 m ago

Don't do it. He will end up as a zombie locked away in his room and you …Don't do it. He will end up as a zombie locked away in his room and you will never see him again. You will hear him though as he hammers on the keyboard and shouts at/with all his online gaming friends.Whatever you buy now will be upgraded in a couple of months as he must have the best mechanical keyboard or some super mouse or the monitor is not fast enough (or big enough or wide enough or enough of them).Or is that just my son?

This happened with my brother, an £800 build and cheap monitor became a predator monitor, a GTX1080, M.2....the list goes on. Tread with caution
I like using uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ niceway to choose components and there is a checkbox that will make sure once you start choosing components that the subsequent components are all compatible with each other.

It is easy to get carried away with a build, I do spend a bit more so it lasts, but the advantage with a PC isthat all components can be upgraded bit by bit in the future.

Look at what games you intend to play in the future and check their recommended specs and use that as a starting point.

There are some good offers out there at the moment, nice 250GB Samsung SSD, gtx 1060 or 1070. A last gen Intel i5 away you go. (ok a few other bits required as well). Involve them in the build,it is all part of the fun.
Not just get him Minecraft and an Xbox one. Well within your budget.
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice folks. After trying to price up my own build I just couldn't get it to come in budget. Went for an ebay 2nd hand unit. intel i7 2nd gen, average graphics card, good hard drive and additional 120gb ssd. Full windows 10, and a snazzy case with flashing green lights (that's quite important). Seemed a good deal for £300 and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Fingers crossed it lives up to description.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants