Sony AG9 vs LG C9? Which to buy?!

Posted 27th Feb
Hi all,

So I am looking to buy a new TV and have narrowed it down to the Sony AG9 55 inch or the LG C9 55 inch.

I have no idea which one to get. I’m going towards the AG9 more solely down to the speakers being built in and not requiring a sound bar. However I’ve heard the LG has the HDMI 2.1 which means it’s future proof.

Would appreciate anyone’s advice on this as I am stuck on which one to buy!!

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
LG will have more tech on it and more compatibility with apps
LG are the market leaders when it comes to OLED picture wise. Go on the LG site and get the specs and likewise the Sony site. Compare and see if there's anything radically different that you may like. C9 is £1299 at John Lewis with 5 year warranty . AG9 is £1999 . With that price difference it has to be the LG C9
I was in a similar boat last month and went for the E9, has all the great features of the C9 but much better sound (equivalent to a £300 soundbar) - Also has a very nice all glass design

HDMI 2.1 is great if you plan to buy one of the newer consoles as they will support 4k/120 and VRR so you will be able to take advantage of it. Spending over £1000 on a TV with no HDMI 2.1 at this point just seems crazy to me.
Edited by: "Gormond" 27th Feb
LG produce the OLED panels though right? However it’s the processor that makes the difference in regards to how much it lags? From what I saw side by side the Sony quality comes out on top. However I don’t know whether that’s because of the previews they play in order for the consumer to be drawn into. Also @Gormond I agree spending over £1000 with no HDMI 2.1 is crazy but would that make much difference to me coming from someone who doesn’t really play video games?
Yus0727/02/2020 09:53

LG produce the OLED panels though right? However it’s the processor that m …LG produce the OLED panels though right? However it’s the processor that makes the difference in regards to how much it lags? From what I saw side by side the Sony quality comes out on top. However I don’t know whether that’s because of the previews they play in order for the consumer to be drawn into. Also @Gormond I agree spending over £1000 with no HDMI 2.1 is crazy but would that make much difference to me coming from someone who doesn’t really play video games?

Have a look at Rtings, they do nice thorough comparisons - rtings.com/tv/…833

Also on YouTube watch reviews from HDTVTest (in this case its the E9 vs AG9)

Gormond27/02/2020 10:01

Have a look at Rtings, they do nice thorough comparisons - …Have a look at Rtings, they do nice thorough comparisons - https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c9-vs-sony-a9g/802/833Also on YouTube watch reviews from HDTVTest (in this case its the E9 vs AG9)[Video]

Thanks will check it out... the thing that’s putting me more to the Sony also is the built on sound bar. As I’m having it flashed into the chimney breast I won’t need to make a cutout for a sound bar however the lack of hdmi 2.1 is putting me off... do I need the 2.1???! Hmmm
Yus0727/02/2020 10:07

Thanks will check it out... the thing that’s putting me more to the Sony a …Thanks will check it out... the thing that’s putting me more to the Sony also is the built on sound bar. As I’m having it flashed into the chimney breast I won’t need to make a cutout for a sound bar however the lack of hdmi 2.1 is putting me off... do I need the 2.1???! Hmmm

You could get the LG E9 which has superior sound to the Sony AG9 - rtings.com/tv/…0.1

39996027-upXU9.jpg
As there are currently no HDMI 2.1 devices its tough to say what advantage it brings outside of gaming.
LG
Yus0727/02/2020 10:07

Thanks will check it out... the thing that’s putting me more to the Sony a …Thanks will check it out... the thing that’s putting me more to the Sony also is the built on sound bar. As I’m having it flashed into the chimney breast I won’t need to make a cutout for a sound bar however the lack of hdmi 2.1 is putting me off... do I need the 2.1???! Hmmm

HDMI is fully backwards compatible, so you'll never be in a situation where you want to plug in a device and it'll work on one and not on the other.

So it'll come down to whether you'll be buying any devices in future that can benefit from those features introduced in HDMI 2.1 which that particular model of TV also supports (which isn't all of them).

They're all fairly minor, which is why this is HDMI 2.1 and not HDMI 3.0, and the one with the biggest potential impact, variable refresh rate, is only going to be used by games.

So no, I wouldn't worry about it. If the sony has the better picture and sound quality for what you're using it for then HDMI 2.1 isn't going to make enough difference even on those devices that will support it.
That Rtings comparison has the LG ahead of the Sony too and with a £700 price difference it really is a no brainer. £700 goes along way towards a nice sound system too.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 27th Feb
It is all personal preference but I would prefer the OLED65B9PLA over a 55 Sony.
yorkie1227/02/2020 11:01

That Rtings comparison has the LG ahead of the Sony too and with a £700 …That Rtings comparison has the LG ahead of the Sony too and with a £700 price difference it really is a no brainer. £700 goes along way towards a nice sound system too.

That's the E9, not the C9 so a completely different sound system. It also shows comparable results at 70dB and 80dB volume, the Sony only being significantly worse when cranked up to maximum volume which you'd rarely do.
EndlessWaves27/02/2020 11:56

That's the E9, not the C9 so a completely different sound system. It also …That's the E9, not the C9 so a completely different sound system. It also shows comparable results at 70dB and 80dB volume, the Sony only being significantly worse when cranked up to maximum volume which you'd rarely do.

The one in the link to rtings comparison is actually the C9 vs AG9 not the graphs shown. As in 5th post 'have a look at rtings...'
just got an LG E9 the built in sound bar is excellent Dolby Atmos 4.2 and the picture is awesome. Keep an eye on Richer Sounds prices, got my 65" LG OLED E9 for £1950, with voucher code, a few weeks back when the C9 was a similar price !!
LG C9 all day. I love Sony tv’s for general tv watching or movies. but LG is the overall king waaaaaaay faster os, better remote, hdmi 2.1, and better support. I have a Sony XF9005 and it’s lovely but isn’t gonna receive a new android version and it’s only one year old. also it’s so slow from turning it on to changing channels unlike LG which is super fast.
LG TVs also don't get newer OS versions.

The XF90 is two years old. F models were released in March 2018. It's also using a chip that Sony started using in 2016, the Mediatek MT5891. The AG9 uses the newer MT5893 which is generally considered to be a huge improvement in speed terms, although I haven't had a play with it myself.

LG's Web OS does have big adverts on the left of the home screen, and the controls are still unpolished in some instances.
Can't say I've noticed a load of adverts on the ( award winning)Web OS on my 2019 LG TV.
techsidekick27/02/2020 14:50

just got an LG E9 the built in sound bar is excellent Dolby Atmos 4.2 and …just got an LG E9 the built in sound bar is excellent Dolby Atmos 4.2 and the picture is awesome. Keep an eye on Richer Sounds prices, got my 65" LG OLED E9 for £1950, with voucher code, a few weeks back when the C9 was a similar price !!

Yeah Iv just been looking at the E9 and it seems like a better option tbh especially with the built in soundbar. I can’t see it being any different to the C9 apart from the sound bar, am I correct?
EndlessWaves27/02/2020 15:59

LG TVs also don't get newer OS versions.The XF90 is two years old. F …LG TVs also don't get newer OS versions.The XF90 is two years old. F models were released in March 2018. It's also using a chip that Sony started using in 2016, the Mediatek MT5891. The AG9 uses the newer MT5893 which is generally considered to be a huge improvement in speed terms, although I haven't had a play with it myself. LG's Web OS does have big adverts on the left of the home screen, and the controls are still unpolished in some instances.

You know more than me with this so thanks for clarifying. yes web os don't get huge updates to say 4.0 but it's so fulid unlike android TV which is a nightmare on my set it's like it's serverly underpowered which it shouldn't be for the £ it costs. web os is just easy on the eyes and fast if android TV was fulid it would be decent
Yus0727/02/2020 21:43

Yeah Iv just been looking at the E9 and it seems like a better option tbh …Yeah Iv just been looking at the E9 and it seems like a better option tbh especially with the built in soundbar. I can’t see it being any different to the C9 apart from the sound bar, am I correct?

Yeah with the exception of design and the speakers the spec of the C9 and E9 are the same. Although people have said that LG do bin their panels so you have a better chance of getting a good panel with the E9.
EndlessWaves27/02/2020 11:56

That's the E9, not the C9 so a completely different sound system. It also …That's the E9, not the C9 so a completely different sound system. It also shows comparable results at 70dB and 80dB volume, the Sony only being significantly worse when cranked up to maximum volume which you'd rarely do.

The Sony AG9 shows a worse frequency response at both 70dB and 80dB compared to the E9 and is more expensive
Yus0727/02/2020 21:43

Yeah Iv just been looking at the E9 and it seems like a better option tbh …Yeah Iv just been looking at the E9 and it seems like a better option tbh especially with the built in soundbar. I can’t see it being any different to the C9 apart from the sound bar, am I correct?

The screen or panel is the same picture quality, but is on glass which gives it a nice quality look. The panel thickness is amazing as well.
techsidekick29/02/2020 18:29

The screen or panel is the same picture quality, but is on glass which …The screen or panel is the same picture quality, but is on glass which gives it a nice quality look. The panel thickness is amazing as well.

Popped into John Lewis today to compare and I found the sound on the E9 really bad. The Sony AG9 came out on top for me. Although it don’t have HDMI 2.1 do I really need it? Would I notice the difference? I don’t game so I doubt it. And the sound on the AG9 nothing compared to it tbh.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants