Sony Bravia KDL50W755C Android TV - Anygood?

Found 14th Aug 2015
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting the following TV from JL:

johnlewis.com/son…ack

The big selling point for me is Android TV. Does anybody own this TV? How well does Android TV work?

I am thinking of getting this so I can install Kodi and a few other 3rd party apps. Does the TV allow for installing .apk files from USB?

Thanks!
c
Community Updates
9 Comments
Just purchased this TV, very nice set with a very good picture quality, but viewing angles are limited not a great picture if viewing from a side angle. Android is a new TV technology and in my opinion is just OK at the moment but hopefully with software updates it should improve, not quiet the same as a 50" tablet or smartphone. A nice addition is the football mode which definitely improves the picture whilst watching a match.
Not sure if you can install apk files from USB but you can install kodi from the app store also I did try to download the showbox apk, but without success so far.
Original Poster
reaper1951

Just purchased this TV, very nice set with a very good picture quality, … Just purchased this TV, very nice set with a very good picture quality, but viewing angles are limited not a great picture if viewing from a side angle. Android is a new TV technology and in my opinion is just OK at the moment but hopefully with software updates it should improve, not quiet the same as a 50" tablet or smartphone. A nice addition is the football mode which definitely improves the picture whilst watching a match.

When you say the viewing angles are bad, do you mean at extreme angles or simply from viewing it off centre?

I really like the idea of android TV. Does kodi run well? 3rd party support would be great for showbox. What happens if you attempt to install showbox?
ceanth

When you say the viewing angles are bad, do you mean at extreme angles or … When you say the viewing angles are bad, do you mean at extreme angles or simply from viewing it off centre? I really like the idea of android TV. Does kodi run well? 3rd party support would be great for showbox. What happens if you attempt to install showbox?

Hi, yes the picture is not so good from extreme angles almost from side on, kodi works very well as good as a tablet i would say. As for showbox i have tried to download it using the opera browser, and so far it will not even download, no idea why. On the evidence so far, I would say you wouldn't be too disappointed with this TV i would not go as far as highly recommending it, as i dont want you blaming me if you are not happy. Not tinkered with the picture so far, as i am happy with some of the presets, i am using the sport mode at the moment and i am very happy with quality.​
Original Poster
reaper1951

Hi, yes the picture is not so good from extreme angles almost from side … Hi, yes the picture is not so good from extreme angles almost from side on, kodi works very well as good as a tablet i would say. As for showbox i have tried to download it using the opera browser, and so far it will not even download, no idea why. On the evidence so far, I would say you wouldn't be too disappointed with this TV i would not go as far as highly recommending it, as i dont want you blaming me if you are not happy. Not tinkered with the picture so far, as i am happy with some of the presets, i am using the sport mode at the moment and i am very happy with quality.​

Hi there, any further luck with getting showbox working on this TV? I saw one of these models in Currys this weekend and the viewing angles didn't seem too bad.

I think I have narrowed it down to either the Sony or this Samsung:

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55j5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi/p1943451

Price difference is £70. I guess I get an extra 5inches for that price.
Hi. Have not tried Showbox since, got mine from Argos with 10% discount at the time so cost me £629 but I am going to extend the warranty direct with Sony for 5 years £70 or 4 years inc accidental damage £59. I will say if you like watching football, the football mode definitely improves the picture quality, and have nor noticed any fast action lag or blur. As I said I would not go as far as highly recommending this tv, but if purchased I don't think you would go far wrong. Can't comment on a Samsung as I have never owned one, but they always seem to get very good reviews.
Original Poster
reaper1951

Hi. Have not tried Showbox since, got mine from Argos with 10% discount … Hi. Have not tried Showbox since, got mine from Argos with 10% discount at the time so cost me £629 but I am going to extend the warranty direct with Sony for 5 years £70 or 4 years inc accidental damage £59. I will say if you like watching football, the football mode definitely improves the picture quality, and have nor noticed any fast action lag or blur. As I said I would not go as far as highly recommending this tv, but if purchased I don't think you would go far wrong. Can't comment on a Samsung as I have never owned one, but they always seem to get very good reviews.

Thanks for the update. I actually watch a total of zero football so I guess that feature is wasted on me. I do have a PS3 so perhaps this enhanced mode might work for this purpose?

I am really torn, on the one hand I think Samsung is a safe bet however I really do like the Sony as well. I am going to goto store and check out both. I have seen a Sony TV however the viewing angles didn't seem so bad.

Thanks for all your updates, if you manage to get Showbox working please let me know, I am intending on making a purchase in a weeks time or so.
Banned
reaper1951

Not sure if you can install apk files from USB but you can install kodi … Not sure if you can install apk files from USB but you can install kodi from the app store also I did try to download the showbox apk, but without success so far.

When I try to download Kodi from the app store I can't as it says it can't be found? I've checked YouTube and it seems you can sideload it but looks a bit complicated. Any advice?
Original Poster
SimplyDeals

When I try to download Kodi from the app store I can't as it says it … When I try to download Kodi from the app store I can't as it says it can't be found? I've checked YouTube and it seems you can sideload it but looks a bit complicated. Any advice?

I ended up buying this TV and I was able to find Kodi from the app store. If you need to side load it then I use ES File Explorer, I load the app on both TV and Phone and then select the file I want to send and click send. There is an option to use Bluetooth to send the file, once transferred you just select it in ES File Explorer on the TV and it should install.

If you are having trouble finding the APK file then simply download the app on your phone and use an APK Extractor application (there are plenty of them in the google play store) and create a APK file from Kodi that is installed on your phone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants