Sony CDX-GT550UI Problems (Car stereo)

Found 6th Mar 2016
Hi there,

My partner has her little Corsa she uses for work and I installed the CDX-GT550UI going back to 2012, it's worked fine without any problems since day one. However, last month (been too busy to deal with it until now) it's stopped working. It would light up then power off with the buttons unresponsive. I can remove the face plate and reset the unit to repeat the process again and again.

I'm not expert with electronic wiring but all seems in check, nothing loose or burnt out, even the unit fuse is perfectly fine. Plus the car has had a new battery since. But now the only button that works is the eject, which acts like the source button, selecting cd/aux/usb etc, Should I release the button the unit powers off. Should I continue to hold the button the stereo works, although the volume seems to fade from 0 to about 15 which isn't loud or quite. Suddenly the volume button works if the eject is held, sadly the push side of things remains unresponsive (you can push the volume dial to enter more settings such as balance, aux volume override etc)

But I'm at my end with this and I cannot find a half decent thread on google which suggests more then reset/check wiring and fuse so I'm hoping someone will know about this issue on this model or another sony, and even better someone who installs head units for a living.
Community Updates
14 Comments
Check the contacts on the removable faceplate. Maybe try giving them a clean.
Also check that it's a tight fit. They can loosen over time and the faceplate might not be making contact with the HU
Have you tried removing the snatch plate and cleaning the contacts with iso on the plate and unit ?
kester76

Have you tried removing the snatch plate and cleaning the contacts with … Have you tried removing the snatch plate and cleaning the contacts with iso on the plate and unit ?

Sorry to sound a bit slow but which part is the ISO?

Also tried cleaning the plates, both the face plate and head unit aswell.
lee878787

Sorry to sound a bit slow but which part is the ISO?Also tried cleaning … Sorry to sound a bit slow but which part is the ISO?Also tried cleaning the plates, both the face plate and head unit aswell.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=isopropyl+alcohol
Isopropyl alcohol
If the isopropyl works then maybe give it a squirt of contact cleaner every so often.
ohh I've used cleaning stuff yeah but no joy
lee878787

ohh I've used cleaning stuff yeah but no joy

What did you clean it with ? You might of done more damage than good if you used the wrong product
Edited by: "kester76" 6th Mar 2016
just some cleaning alcohol previously used on some old pc parts. Wouldn't of used anything I didn't fully trust.
lee878787

just some cleaning alcohol previously used on some old pc parts. Wouldn't … just some cleaning alcohol previously used on some old pc parts. Wouldn't of used anything I didn't fully trust.

Did you use cotton buds to clean the contacts on the main unit ?
The fault you're describing is what would happen if you lost a connection to the button matrix.
kester76

Did you use cotton buds to clean the contacts on the main unit ?The fault … Did you use cotton buds to clean the contacts on the main unit ?The fault you're describing is what would happen if you lost a connection to the button matrix.

I used tissue if I'm honest, would the unit turn off if it is what you believe?
lee878787

I used tissue if I'm honest, would the unit turn off if it is what you … I used tissue if I'm honest, would the unit turn off if it is what you believe?

Sounds like you pushing in the eject button is forcing the panel to seat better and make a contact. As soon as you remove the pressure it's losing contact and defaulting to if you had removed the faceplate.
I would probably clean it again and maybe check the faceplate for damage or gunk. Does the faceplate seat snug or is there some play in it ?
kester76

Sounds like you pushing in the eject button is forcing the panel to seat … Sounds like you pushing in the eject button is forcing the panel to seat better and make a contact. As soon as you remove the pressure it's losing contact and defaulting to if you had removed the faceplate.I would probably clean it again and maybe check the faceplate for damage or gunk. Does the faceplate seat snug or is there some play in it ?

I suppose that make sense, I'm still confused why only 1 button would work. I tried applying pressure without pressing the eject and there was no response, I've since taken it into the house and dismantled it to see if there's anything burnt out or lose. Seems fine which is very frustrating.

It also sits very snug, you can move it left to right ever so slightly but that's always been the case and only very minimal.
lee878787

I suppose that make sense, I'm still confused why only 1 button would … I suppose that make sense, I'm still confused why only 1 button would work. I tried applying pressure without pressing the eject and there was no response, I've since taken it into the house and dismantled it to see if there's anything burnt out or lose. Seems fine which is very frustrating. It also sits very snug, you can move it left to right ever so slightly but that's always been the case and only very minimal.

I've read in your original post that you removed the faceplate and pressed the reset button for 10 seconds whilst power was on. Normally this should sort it from what I've read. Other posts I've read have been stuck microswitches and people have pressed the source button until demo displayed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants