Groups

Sony NEX 3

I was thinking of getting the nex3 but wanted to get the opinions of any owners here.
    I have a sony wx1 now. The photo quality is not brilliant but its wonderful in low light. Have no issues with its performance too. I am not a very heavy user and will mainly use it for holidays and days out.
    Will this be a definite upgrade?

29 Comments

yes, it runs a much better sensor the same size as the other sony DSLR's excluding the a850 and upwards, it basically the same camera as the NEX5 tbh jsut the build quality isnt quite as nice

you should notice a substantial difference in image quality, there great things to use, how much you looking at buying it for?

Original Poster

The cheapest i could find was around 300 quid. I heard there wasn't much difference between nex 3 and 5 but there are a lot of different models in the nex 3 like k, d, ar etc. Anyone know what the difference between them is?

k is the 18-55 lens
    d is the dual kit 16mm and 18-55
    a is the 16mm lens

the dual kit is by a mile the best value as buying lenses on there own is very expensive, you could always look to buy the dual kit and sell one of the lenses (most often the 16mm prime) a lot of people do this i thin kso the market could be pretty saturated, but buyign the lens on its own is like 200 quid or sumthing, so selling it you can end up with a really great value one lens kit!

Original Poster

Thank you so much Also are there any others i ought to look at around the same price?
    I love sonys but would like to try others..

I have the nex5 and it's a stunning piece of kit the hd vids are out of this world I can't fault this camera not sure how different the nex 3 is ,check avf theres some used ones for sale on the classifieds

the porter

I have the nx5 and it's a stunning piece of kit the hd vids are out of … I have the nx5 and it's a stunning piece of kit the hd vids are out of this world I can't fault this camera not sure how different the nex 3 is

build quality (larger grip on nex5, aso built of metal not plastic), the placement of the shutter release button, and 1080p as appose to 720p video are the differences, i think you might be able to firmware hack the latter though im not sure...

actual sensor, glass, functions, screen are the same yet i much prefer the NEX5....

i dont own one i just have a cheap point and shoot but id love too

i dont know much about other manufacturers sorry i just used to work in a sony centre up until recently so know the sony gear

Original Poster

the porter

I have the nx5 and it's a stunning piece of kit the hd vids are out of … I have the nx5 and it's a stunning piece of kit the hd vids are out of this world I can't fault this camera not sure how different the nex 3 is

I've read in a couple of places that both are basically the same internally. Not sure though.
    If you don't mind could you upload a few original size pics please? Preferably with one night shot.

Original Poster

joeprosho

build quality (larger grip on nex5, aso built of metal not plastic), the … build quality (larger grip on nex5, aso built of metal not plastic), the placement of the shutter release button, and 1080p as appose to 720p video are the differences, i think you might be able to firmware hack the latter though im not sure...actual sensor, glass, functions, screen are the same yet i much prefer the NEX5....i dont own one i just have a cheap point and shoot but id love tooi dont know much about other manufacturers sorry i just used to work in a sony centre up until recently so know the sony gear

So is it worth the extra 100-200 quid?

kyashwanth36

So is it worth the extra 100-200 quid?

do u have an extra 100-200 quid going spare?

i dont think its mean to be too long till the NEX7 is out tbh.. but cannot say for certain, ill have to have a bit of a google and see...

that could see prices fall a bit more tbh and not sure what there changing, one good thing sony have released the rights for third party manufacturers sigma and tamron to produce lenses which should lead to some nice competitively price lenses

Will sort some out tomorrow as I'm off to work shortly avforums.com/for…tml

Original Poster

I was looking for a decent micro four thirds around 350. If its really worth it. i'm ok to paying the extraa 50 for it. But if there is a nex 7 coming, i'll wait for the 3 to go cheaper

nex-7 all seems a bit randomly hushed, was talk of it a year ago, talk of release this spring.. but nothing seems to have come into fruition so i dont really know the status on that at all...

could always offer JasonL 400 or sumthing, ive actually spoken to him over on AV before lol, im a big fan of buyign second hand save loads of money, you could get that, sell the 16mm lens for £150 and have a NEX5 with kit lens for £250 with a case

EDIT: you would probs get £120-130 looking at ebay

The snout is around £50 on it's own official Sony I would of bought his if I hadn't just bought 1 of here for £325

the snout slang for the mount converter?? if so this is an unreal bargain lol

The snout is the case

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tL0CITIEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

the porter

The snout is the case

is it the two part leather one, or the zip case that fits the 16mm only, or the DSLR style case?

ive never come across this before

joeprosho

is it the two part leather one, or the zip case that fits the 16mm only, … is it the two part leather one, or the zip case that fits the 16mm only, or the DSLR style case? ive never come across this before

ahh the 18-55 part of the two piece leather, the full case there, that piece and the bit that goes around the body retail at £95 together, bit more difficult to get hold of the 18-55 longer case too!

Original Poster

Does the snout come with the camera?

no

its £50 at rrp, and the bti it clips onto is £45

Original Poster

Do the two lenses come as standard on any nex 5 model or just the d? The dual lens seems good value if i manage to flog it on ebay as i wont be using it much.

just the d, same applies k = 18-55 a=16mm

lol ur tempted by JasonL right? it is great value

like i say, sell the 16mm and ur in business! and hopefully by the time you get tempted to try out sum different types of lenses sigma and tamron will have made sum cheaper ones!

Original Poster

hehe yeah but i have never bought directly from forum posts. Thanks for the help joe and the porter. Much appreciated.
    I'm going to save up for the nex 5D.
    have a good night

no worries you too, i always buy on forums, posting on a laptop i got off AV forums right now and never had an issue.. except for on sum £5 cards lol

keep an eye open for bestbuy and play doing deals on the nex5 as they have been about the best in the past

Original Poster

hi joe, missed the clearance deal on jessops The nex 3 was for 200 and a couple of nex 5 for 300

Any chance other retailers will go down to the same price?
    Edited by: "kyashwanth36" 26th Apr 2011

kyashwanth36

hi joe, missed the clearance deal on jessops The nex 3 was for 200 and … hi joe, missed the clearance deal on jessops The nex 3 was for 200 and a couple of nex 5 for 300 :(Any chance other retailers will go down to the same price?

eesh i always miss those jessops clearance deals too, SLR's always pop up on there but there are only ever a handful so you gotta be quick out the blocks.. i think we will see the nex 5 with 18-55 lens down to £350 at some point again but you just gotta jump on them

kyashwanth36

hi joe, missed the clearance deal on jessops The nex 3 was for 200 and … hi joe, missed the clearance deal on jessops The nex 3 was for 200 and a couple of nex 5 for 300 :(Any chance other retailers will go down to the same price?

I doubt it, at least not until the cameras are replaced. The Jessops Clearance prices can be pretty crazy.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211

See more discussions