Sony - PlayStation 5 Showcase 16th September 9PM BST - See you in November

Posted 12th Sep
Update 1
Digital Edition £359.99 / Disc Version £449.99 - Launching November 19th 2020!

All the pre-order info and who has stock and when
Community Updates
Lead deal editor
Credit @BuzzDuraband for the text below (taken from the dupe)

It really has to be tonight, doesn't it? ">

We've had months and months of speculation, possible 'leaks' and disappointment and always walked away disheartened (just tell us a price!), but finally tonight could be the night, we could finally be presented with the figures for Sony's upcoming PlayStation 5 console, and if we're lucky, the release date.

Sony's PlayStation Showcase will kick off tonight at 9pm (BST) and can be viewed via their YouTube channel which can be accessed [here].

Let me know below what you expect the PlayStation 5 pricing to come in at ">

33822.jpg

Also expected tonight during the showcase is more from Spider-man: Miles Morales, Horizon: Forbidden West, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and possibly the Demons Souls remake, and if we're really lucky, maybe some Silent Hill? ">

I'd like to guess that it's also safe to assume that Cory likes a bit of a showcase, so God of War 2 (5?) could well be making an appearance.

33822.jpg
Here's what we know so far about the PlayStation 5 and it's spec sheet;

• CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
  • GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
  • Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
  • Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
  • Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
  • IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
  • Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
  • External Storage: USB HDD Support
  • Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

33822-lzimy.jpg33822-D0A0H.jpg
Misc
Top comments
jimhuf16/09/2020 10:53

Comment deleted

same old faff every gen! the one x was more powerful than the ps4 pro yet the pro outsold it easily will be business as usual
How did we ever reach a point where, on a thread about a showcase event pitched at PS5 GAMES, everyone is still bleating on about FPS, teraflops, 4K vs 1080p etc etc etc? Boring, boring, boring.

I could have sworn that, when I were a lad, people spent time actually playing games on their consoles rather than boring the socks of everyone by comparing and contrasting processors and other what amounts to motherboard components.
@Yoshimitsu - try not to take things personally. You get insulted by people talking down XBox, and then do the same about PlayStation (even if it was in defence of Xbox... in a PlayStation thread for some reason).

I am fully invested in XBox gaming, with another 2 years of Ultimate. I have no intention of buying a gaming PC. I have a PS4 Pro which has only been used this year for Fall Guys. I should be Microsoft's perfect target audience. But they've given me no reason to shell out for a new console.

I won't buy a PS5 anytime soon either, but if I was going to buy a console, that would be the one. That's not good for Microsoft that I should think that. As long as Sony's production hasn't been hit too badly, they should walk to victory for console sales.

And Microsoft won't care. They'll be quite happy with their monthly Ultimate income, happy that they have a great, powerful console, happy that PC and Cloud Gamers are subscribing.

Developers who are MS exclusive will be happy too, as their games will be exposed to a wide audience across different mediums. Exclusive PS developers will be happy at the large, dedicated audience.

No-one loses by deciding one side or the other is better. What is good for one person won't be for the next. The fact that the customer is given choice is great, and we are the winners.

Impassioned defences are as unnecessary as trolling. Buy what you want, be happy.
Take my money give me ps5
666 Comments
I can't see Sony beating Xbox price wise but I could be wrong
This is exactly what Sony need to do now:

- Show off Ps5 boost mode on AAA Ps4 games (FF7 Remake, Last of us Part 2, God of War etc).

- Announce FF16 and timed exclusive.

- Announce Bloodbourne Ps5 remaster, and maybe other remasters.

- Announce God of War sequel.

- Announce huge upgrade to PS Now (more games from Ps1 and Ps2 era) and include it with PS Plus.

- Announce exclusive Fortnite items for Ps5 (remember Sony bought a chunk of shares from Epic not too long ago)

- Announce price as £399 (to undercut Series X) and Digital at £299 (so its not too much more than the Series S, but I have a feeling it will be £349).

- Announce November release date (Hoping for the 10th, but likely the 20th).
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 12th Sep
CaptainZero12/09/2020 15:55

This is exactly what Sony need to do now:- Show off Ps5 boost mode on AAA …This is exactly what Sony need to do now:- Show off Ps5 boost mode on AAA Ps4 games (FF7 Remake, Last of us Part 2, God of War etc).- Announce Bloodbourne Ps5 remaster.- Announce God of War sequel.- Announce huge upgrade to PS Now (more games from Ps1 and Ps2 era) and include it with PS Plus.- Announce price as £399 (to undercut Series X) and Digital at £299 (so its not too much more than the Series S, but I have a feeling it will be £349).

They wouldn’t undercut
zee297612/09/2020 15:58

They wouldn’t undercut

They probably won't, but ask yourself - why wouldn't they? They're in the perfect position to do it.
They don't need to undercut. They just need to match the price. As for the series s, Sony is not in competition with that. The digital version of the ps5 is full powered machine, so it won't be competing with the price of the series s.

At this event they definatley need to announce the price and release date.
Edited by: "Deedie" 12th Sep
CaptainZero12/09/2020 15:59

They probably won't, but ask yourself - why wouldn't they? They're in the …They probably won't, but ask yourself - why wouldn't they? They're in the perfect position to do it.

They have a huge loyal fanbase they don’t need to undercut so the best thing they could do is price match but even then I think they would sell £50-100 more than xbox and people would still buy it
zee297612/09/2020 16:08

They have a huge loyal fanbase they don’t need to undercut so the best t …They have a huge loyal fanbase they don’t need to undercut so the best thing they could do is price match but even then I think they would sell £50-100 more than xbox and people would still buy it

There's no way it will be more than the Series X, but I think they might slightly undercut now. Even if its £10
zee297612/09/2020 16:12

Comment deleted

Errmm.. What??

Ps4 at release - £349
Xbox One at release - £449

Ps4 Pro at release - £349 (whilst lowering standard Ps4 to £249)
Xbox One X at release - £449
backwards compatibility with all ps1/2 games would have me buying one
_Tris_12/09/2020 16:06

It's people like you that make Sony confident that they don't have to price match! (I'm just like you but please don't tell Sony lol)
My son can’t wait! Christmas present loading...
zee297612/09/2020 16:08

They have a huge loyal fanbase they don’t need to undercut so the best t …They have a huge loyal fanbase they don’t need to undercut so the best thing they could do is price match but even then I think they would sell £50-100 more than xbox and people would still buy it

True PS4 has 50% market share, Xbox has just less than Switch. Microsoft are already faced with a 2 to 1 disadvantage, i suspect the RTX3000 launch is going to hit MS a lot more than Sony. MS are again going to have to pursue a strategy of heavy discounting consoles to try and keep up.
projextxuk_reviews12/09/2020 15:42

I can't see Sony beating Xbox price wise but I could be wrong

Because of cost or because they don't want to?

The PS5 will be cheaper to produce than the Series X so they should be able to do it, if they want to.

The SSD might be better and therefore more expensive but they've cheaped out on capacity to bring that cost down. Likewise the die size will be a lot smaller than the Series X as it has the weaker GPU.
Starts 9pm on Wednesday. Wonder how early into the morning we’ll be waiting for pre orders to go up! Bleary eyes Thursday that’s for sure
Hipppppooooo12/09/2020 18:56

Starts 9pm on Wednesday. Wonder how early into the morning we’ll be w …Starts 9pm on Wednesday. Wonder how early into the morning we’ll be waiting for pre orders to go up! Bleary eyes Thursday that’s for sure

Bleary eyes from trying to pre-order but the sites keep crashing due to traffic 😄
CaptainZero12/09/2020 15:59

They probably won't, but ask yourself - why wouldn't they? They're in the …They probably won't, but ask yourself - why wouldn't they? They're in the perfect position to do it.

Why would they under cut when they outsell xbox no problem and the series s is an inferior model hardly better than last gen, ps5 cheaper model is still the real deal.
I was sold even at 500 as long as ratchet and clank is included
oli_1_uk12/09/2020 20:41

Bleary eyes from trying to pre-order but the sites keep crashing due to …Bleary eyes from trying to pre-order but the sites keep crashing due to traffic 😄

If they announce pricing marked competitively vs the Series X/S on Wednesday eve you might as well go to bed and forget about it as it will break the internet
joeydeacon12/09/2020 20:50

If they announce pricing marked competitively vs the Series X/S on …If they announce pricing marked competitively vs the Series X/S on Wednesday eve you might as well go to bed and forget about it as it will break the internet

That's the smart thing to do, I'll try for a bit but if no luck try in the morning
Mark_Hickman12/09/2020 20:49

Why would they under cut when they outsell xbox no problem and the series …Why would they under cut when they outsell xbox no problem and the series s is an inferior model hardly better than last gen, ps5 cheaper model is still the real deal.I was sold even at 500 as long as ratchet and clank is included

Series S is actually surprisingly good value. It runs games in the same quality as the Series X just with less resolution - up to 1440p - meaning if you only have a 1080p TV, or a 1440p monitor, that might be the better choice.
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 12th Sep
Anything under £450 and I'm happy. Show that Miles gameplay and announce FF16

This is exactly what Sony need to do now:- Show off Ps5 boost mode on AAA …This is exactly what Sony need to do now:- Show off Ps5 boost mode on AAA Ps4 games (FF7 Remake, Last of us Part 2, God of War etc).- Announce FF16 and timed exclusive.- Announce Bloodbourne Ps5 remaster, and maybe other remasters.- Announce God of War sequel.- Announce huge upgrade to PS Now (more games from Ps1 and Ps2 era) and include it with PS Plus.- Announce exclusive Fortnite items for Ps5 (remember Sony bought a chunk of shares from Epic not too long ago)- Announce price as £399 (to undercut Series X) and Digital at £299 (so its not too much more than the Series S, but I have a feeling it will be £349).- Announce November release date (Hoping for the 10th, but likely the 20th).

Price matching the Series X would be the better option. Undercutting affects profit margins heavily at launch stage (literally hundreds of millions if they get, say, 10 million launch console sales by undercutting £50) especially if people are willing to pay the matched price.

A lot of third parties have followed the Series X/S launch date, there could be a chance for Sony to launch maybe a week before Microsoft and get a sales headstart and use their exclusive prowess (Spider-Man Miles Morales) to entice customers away from the Series X at launch.
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 13th Sep
MrMaccieKFC13/09/2020 14:23

Price matching the Series X would be the better option. Undercutting …Price matching the Series X would be the better option. Undercutting affects profit margins heavily at launch stage (literally hundreds of millions if they get, say, 10 million launch console sales)especially if people are willing to pay the matched price.A lot of third parties have followed the Series X/S launch date, there could be a chance for Sony to launch maybe a week before Microsoft and get a sales headstart and use their exclusive prowess (Spider-Man Miles Morales) to entice customers away from the Series X at launch.

I guess it just depends which way they decide to go with it. Match the Series X and maybe lose a few sales to the Series X or undercut them a little and guarantee the most sales (but lose more initially - they will make it back and then some with PS Plus etc).
CaptainZero13/09/2020 14:25

I guess it just depends which way they decide to go with it. Match the …I guess it just depends which way they decide to go with it. Match the Series X and maybe lose a few sales to the Series X or undercut them a little and guarantee the most sales (but lose more initially - they will make it back and then some with PS Plus etc).

Sony has established the PlayStation with a massive install base this current gen, the PS4 smashing the competition apart, and into their ecosystem. Emphasising the importance of staying into the ecosystem with PS5 is imperative and it will happen this Wednesday again. PlayStation 5 news has been breaking social media records compared to Xbox news.

Sony could go the traditional undercut and make it up with accessories and PSPlus/PSNow, PSPlus gets them literally hundreds of millions of pounds worldwide in revenue, but how much would Sony want to rip into profit margins when the likelihood of players staying within an ecosystem could get them more without needing to undercut Microsoft? Before the PS4 there was no set ecosystem for PlayStation, yes there was PSN on PS3 but that was easily passable at the advent of digital (especially when online was free on PS3). Now in this digital world we have ecosystems and services which are not as easily discarded as a random PSN account. We have games, trophies, social media aspects like friends and communities within PSN, PSPlus, PSNow, services within games.

I would be very surprised if Sony does undercut Microsoft with PlayStation being the most profitable division of Sony, especially with the technology they’ve included in the PS5 regarding the SSD.
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 13th Sep
MrMaccieKFC13/09/2020 14:38

Sony has established the PlayStation with a massive install base this …Sony has established the PlayStation with a massive install base this current gen, the PS4 smashing the competition apart, and into their ecosystem. Emphasising the importance of staying into the ecosystem with PS5 is imperative and it will happen this Wednesday again. PlayStation 5 news has been breaking social media records compared to Xbox news. Sony could go the traditional undercut and make it up with accessories and PSPlus/PSNow, PSPlus gets them literally hundreds of millions of pounds worldwide in revenue, but how much would Sony want to rip into profit margins when the likelihood of players staying within an ecosystem could get them more without needing to undercut Microsoft? Before the PS4 there was no set ecosystem for PlayStation, yes there was PSN on PS3 but that was easily passable at the advent of digital, now in this digital world we have ecosystems and services which are not as easily discarded as a random PSN account. We have games, trophies, social media aspects like friends and communities within PSN, PSPlus, PSNow, services within games. I would be very surprised if Sony does undercut Microsoft with PlayStation being the most profitable division of Sony, especially with the technology they’ve included in the PS5 regarding the SSD.

Don't get me wrong I think they will match the Series X as it makes the most sense but it would be interesting to see if they do undercut Microsoft.

I genuinely believe the Series S will sell better than the Series X aswell.
CaptainZero13/09/2020 14:44

Don't get me wrong I think they will match the Series X as it makes the …Don't get me wrong I think they will match the Series X as it makes the most sense but it would be interesting to see if they do undercut Microsoft.I genuinely believe the Series S will sell better than the Series X aswell.

Yeah I strongly think the S will get better sales than the X, the game pass ultimate and EA Access proposition is a great one along with casuals playing fortnite and other ftp online games. Then a few years later a lot of rage would likely ensue as developers end up doing basic 1080p ports to the thing, seeing how severely underpowered it is compared to the Series X.

This is exactly what Sony need to do now:- Show off Ps5 boost mode on AAA …This is exactly what Sony need to do now:- Show off Ps5 boost mode on AAA Ps4 games (FF7 Remake, Last of us Part 2, God of War etc).- Announce FF16 and timed exclusive.- Announce Bloodbourne Ps5 remaster, and maybe other remasters.- Announce God of War sequel.- Announce huge upgrade to PS Now (more games from Ps1 and Ps2 era) and include it with PS Plus.- Announce exclusive Fortnite items for Ps5 (remember Sony bought a chunk of shares from Epic not too long ago)- Announce price as £399 (to undercut Series X) and Digital at £299 (so its not too much more than the Series S, but I have a feeling it will be £349).- Announce November release date (Hoping for the 10th, but likely the 20th).

They simply can’t afford to undercut MS.
Think it's looking like 20th Nov, at least in Japan. I'll be shocked if its significantly more expensive than the XBOX.
Onyeoma4012/09/2020 17:21

My son can’t wait! Christmas present loading...

... Not unless Covid has something to do with it!
Only 2 days to go
koskesh14/09/2020 01:20

They simply can’t afford to undercut MS.

What makes you think this?
CaptainZero14/09/2020 17:23

What makes you think this?

they are all selling these consoles at a loss already,hoping to profit from selling games/services and Sony doesn’t have deep pockets like Microsoft,also rumour going on about Sony originally planning to sell the disc drive edition PS5 for USD 600,and now with Series X price confirmed USD 500,they have to cut USD100 to compete.no way they can under cut that.also the digital PS5 is not a weak,watered down version like Series S,it’s just lacking an disc drive so they can’t sell it as low as Series S,let alone cheaper.
Edited by: "koskesh" 14th Sep
koskesh14/09/2020 17:43

they are all selling these consoles at a loss already,hoping to profit …they are all selling these consoles at a loss already,hoping to profit from selling games/services and Sony doesn’t have deep pockets like Microsoft,also rumour going on about Sony originally planning to sell the disc drive edition PS5 for USD 600,and now with Series X price confirmed USD 500,they have to cut USD100 to compete.no way they can under cut that.also the digital PS5 is not a weak,watered down version like Series S,it’s just lacking an disc drive so they can’t sell it as low as Series S,let alone cheaper.

But there have also been rumours that state that it doesn’t cost much to make the PS5... so Sony can cut prices.

Rumours are rumours for a reason... let’s avoid the rumours for now and we will know in 2 days for sure
So we have a live YouTube stream link
The PS5 console product no longer appears in the Amazon search. I’ve a feeling it will be the case that a date is announced for when the main retailers are taking PS5 pre orders - similar to what is happening with Xbox. Which would mean we won’t get our pre orders in tonight
Edited by: "Hipppppooooo" 16th Sep
I'm guessing 449 for the disc version and 379 for the digital only version
12345432116/09/2020 10:18

They might have a hard time emphasising that their digital only version is exactly the same as their disc drive version, minus the drive. Unlike Microsoft’s digital only console that’s considerably different to the disc drive version.

And the pricing there might seem “unjustified” to the mainstream. Will be interesting to see what happens, not just in terms of pricing, but marketing.
12345432116/09/2020 10:18

I’ve got a bad feeling that the disc version will be a bit more like £489. Reckon it’ll be $499 in the US and they’ll use whatever shocking currency converter that Apple have been using the last few years. Hopefully I’m wrong though. Either way it’s a Day 1 preorder for me
I was going to buy a ps5 this year as I skiped ps4. But 30fps gaming isn't for me. But if the digital one is cheap I may change my mind.
#PS5Showcase already trending on twitter. The supply is gonna be rough this Xmas
Post a comment
@
    Text