Sony Reveals NEW details of next gen PlayStation / PlayStation 5 / PS5 - Will include backwards compatibility

Posted 16th Apr
So, with the 'all digital' Xbox set to be officially announced by team Xbox tonight

PlayStation console's architect, Mark Cerny has released some info and it's sounding good so far...

Looks like it won't be released this year, so expect some heavy discounts around Black Friday / Christmas for the current gen!

Here's the quick run down:

- The console will feature a new AMD CPU, which Cerny explained will allow for 3D audio with no extra hardware.

- The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments.

- Backwards compatible with the PlayStation 4 - with games released on both platforms until the new console has been fully established on the market

- A SSD Drive? Probably not that surprising if i'm honest but it's good to see if that's the case

e.g fast-travelling between locations in Insomniac's Spider-Man on a PS4 Pro took 15 seconds, but using a next-gen PlayStation devkit, the same action took just 0.8 seconds.

- The next-gen console will support 8K graphics (Future-proof?!)

3215798.jpg

Full Story here - Source Wired
Community Updates
Misc
13 Comments
I've just been reading this rather interesting write up(I won't paste the entire content in) from a third party small developer from EUand found this rather interesting...

-ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,

And I naturally got super excited at this bit...

Battlefield bad company 3

It's from Dec. 2018, everything else seems to be spot on though, so who knows.
BuzzDuraband12 m ago

I've just been reading this rather interesting write up (I won't paste the …I've just been reading this rather interesting write up (I won't paste the entire content in) from a third party small developer from EUand found this rather interesting...-ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,And I naturally got super excited at this bit...Battlefield bad company 3<3It's from Dec. 2018, everything else seems to be spot on though, so who knows.

Damn, sounds exciting already assuming most of that is true
I want PS3 backwards comparability.
david_wavid1 h, 1 m ago

I want PS3 backwards comparability.

I want nes compatibility lol
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 16th Apr
All good news but nothing earth shattering. Backward compatability and SSD were a given, and not supporting 8k would have been a mistake. Good that VR peripherals are also backward compatible - MS are notorious at not working like that. Of course the price point is the most important issue, and neither this or the Xbox Two (both versions - with and without disc drive) will be cheap.
BuzzDuraband16/04/2019 16:33

I've just been reading this rather interesting write up (I won't paste the …I've just been reading this rather interesting write up (I won't paste the entire content in) from a third party small developer from EUand found this rather interesting...-ps plus & ps plus premium ( premium-beta early access,create private servers,And I naturally got super excited at this bit...Battlefield bad company 3<3It's from Dec. 2018, everything else seems to be spot on though, so who knows.

Devs don't get told things like price. That's far too closely guarded. They're either lying in who they are, or making that bit up.

If the info is true then it backs up what I suspect - and that is that this console doesn't have an SSD.

Instead it has a solid state storage area as well as a normal hard drive. You aren't going to get a 1TB or 2TB SSD that out performs any existing SSD available today into a mass market console at a mass market price.

Especially given the hard drive is usually where they try and save the most money - I mean we still have 5,400 RPM drives and even with the huge SSD price drops they're still double a traditional drive. And SSDs don't have much further to drop in the short term - they're nearing the cost of production.

Furthermore, Cerny says he put an SSD that cost more than a Pro into a Pro and it didn't yield the time benefits that the PS5 is.

Therefore it sounds like custom flash, with a user-changeable drive.
It's really down to price for this console to be worth it. If it's anywhere near £500, I'll wait it out.
Consoles for me now are losing their appeal, the graphics are no longer an point of concern, its all about refresh rates at the moment, but really 1080p60 is fine for me, so its going to come down to the games.. and if a Bloodborne 2 or DS 4 is on the list as a lunch title then I am in.. well for the right price.

I am done with the Xbox haven't turned it on in the last 12 months.. now back to Sekiro
Was going to hold off on getting the PS5 until about a year in (to let other people use and test the console, so Sony can iron out any teething problems via updates so it becomes a more streamlined experience once I join in), but now that Backwards Compatibility with PS4 (and being able to transfer my PS4 stuff over to the PS5) is practically confirmed by Mark Cerny, DAY 1. If Freesync support is available this time with the Ryzen 3rd gen Zen 2 and Navi configuration then that would be the icing on the proverbial cake.
plebbygiraffe16th Apr

Furthermore, Cerny says he put an SSD that cost more than a Pro into a Pro …Furthermore, Cerny says he put an SSD that cost more than a Pro into a Pro and it didn't yield the time benefits that the PS5 is.Therefore it sounds like custom flash, with a user-changeable drive.

The difference is the PS4 OS and architecture is not suited to (and was not developed for) the full benefits of an SSD so not the best comparison. This time with technological developments since OG PS4 the PS5 will be developed and benefit from SSD speeds, but with cost in mind that is likely the PS5 will have the SSD cached in pairing with games loaded and stored to a HDD so it would seem like the games benefit from SSD speeds.
kos1c16/04/2019 23:38

It's really down to price for this console to be worth it. If it's …It's really down to price for this console to be worth it. If it's anywhere near £500, I'll wait it out.

From what I've read online over the past week, it's likely that the PS5 will be sold at a loss at launch to avoid any 'PS3 launch price backlash'.
MrMaccieKFC19/04/2019 12:43

From what I've read online over the past week, it's likely that the PS5 …From what I've read online over the past week, it's likely that the PS5 will be sold at a loss at launch to avoid any 'PS3 launch price backlash'.

Haven't Sony and MS historically sold consoles at a loss anyway?
eayragt4 h, 52 m ago

Haven't Sony and MS historically sold consoles at a loss anyway?

Yes, however the PS4 seemed to be profitable from the start.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions