Sony TV replacement remote control

Posted 29th Dec 2019
The TV remote isn’t working properly most keys just do not work I ordered replacement one from Amazon and it just doesn’t work at all it does say you do not need to do anything once remote arrives just put batteries in and will start working but this isn’t the case I’ve contacted the seller who replied saying I can exchange it but I’m thinking it’s just not going to work even with another one or some kind of tuning or something might need doing? Does anyone know? Any help/advice will be appreciated thanks in adv
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Did you make sure it was compatible with the model of your tv?
Arto29/12/2019 12:23

Did you make sure it was compatible with the model of your tv?

Yes and it does actually say for any Sony tv!
Check eBay to see if anyone is selling a used one.
tryle29/12/2019 12:29

Yes and it does actually say for any Sony tv!

It is the older Sony tv bought 7 years ago
HappyShopper29/12/2019 12:30

Check eBay to see if anyone is selling a used one.

I’m after a New one that’s why got from Amazon I did look on EBay too and read the description etc for a few thought pay bit more and get new one from Amazon
tryle29/12/2019 12:30

Like he said the IR is different between the new and old models I think
The model number of your Sony TV & a link to what you bought might help someone answer your question better.
tryle29/12/2019 12:30

Just to make sure you have not overlooked the obvious:-
There is a clear line of sight between the remote and the TV?
Just saying cos I know that at Xmas in particular it can be so easy to obliterate the view.

Failing that, a 7yr old telly just might have developed a fault with its remote receiver???
Hi tryle. Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm always getting asked to fix remotes for 'family' Tv's etc. so know your pain! Hehe.

Do you feel confident in opening your 'old' remote? They can be carefully prized apart (usually after a few little screws have been removed) and then inspected. Nine times out of ten, it's food/oil/grease build-up on the membrane that presses on the circuit board. This causes a break in signal - hence button does nothing. A good wash of the membrane (if it's a rubberised one) and wipe over of the circuit board (preferably with some alcohol cleaning solution) and they are good to go once more.

A a quick "temp" measure, I can recommend the ridiculously cheap Poundland multi-remote. I always have one on standby to give as a stop-gap whilst I "tinker" with the original.
I struggled finding a remote for my Sony amp. There should be a serial/model number of the remote on the remote somewhere , put that into eBay and you should find a seller. My replacement came from China and can’t fault it works and looks like the original
Loads of Android phones nowadays have a remote app on them that you could use. A cheap universal remote should work, or let people know the make and model and we might be able to help further.
JohnnyRoller29/12/2019 15:20

Loads of Android phones nowadays have a remote app on them that you could …Loads of Android phones nowadays have a remote app on them that you could use. A cheap universal remote should work, or let people know the make and model and we might be able to help further.

If it’s not a smart tv it won’t work
Arto29/12/2019 15:23

If it’s not a smart tv it won’t work

yes it will, if you have a phone with the infrared sensor (huawei phones as an example). They work on any TV.
Phsycronix29/12/2019 12:52

Hi tryle. Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm always getting asked to …Hi tryle. Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm always getting asked to fix remotes for 'family' Tv's etc. so know your pain! Hehe.Do you feel confident in opening your 'old' remote? They can be carefully prized apart (usually after a few little screws have been removed) and then inspected. Nine times out of ten, it's food/oil/grease build-up on the membrane that presses on the circuit board. This causes a break in signal - hence button does nothing. A good wash of the membrane (if it's a rubberised one) and wipe over of the circuit board (preferably with some alcohol cleaning solution) and they are good to go once more.A a quick "temp" measure, I can recommend the ridiculously cheap Poundland multi-remote. I always have one on standby to give as a stop-gap whilst I "tinker" with the original.

Op, exactly as Phsycronix has said. Remove a few screws holding the front and rear case together (also check the battery compartment for a screw), gently prise the case apart using a thin blunt piece of plastic or small flatblade screwdriver. I use Laptop / mobile phone tools or jewellers precision screwdrivers.

Once opened, clean the rubber membrane and circuit board with alcohol wipes if you have any? If not, baby wipes should do.
Edited by: "psychedelicrenegade" 29th Dec 2019
As above, dismantle control use isopropyl alcohol to gently clean the membrane and the contacts on the circuit board.

Incidentally, you can test if the buttons work on the new remote by pointing it at the camera of your mobile phone as the sensor should pick up light from the infra red emitter.

My guess is the control you bought is not fully compatible, so only some buttons work your TV.
Edited by: "melted" 29th Dec 2019
some compatible tv remotes have buttons 1 2 3 4 near the top, try pressing 1 then a command, try this with all 4, it may be off the correct frequency.
Edited by: "leitchyleck" 30th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions