Sony Vaio Laptop Graphics fault, will Sony repair? bought 2nd hand but its a fault they extended warranty for 4 years?

Found 1st Jun 2011
I posted this originally in the nvidia forums a few months ago but didnt get any replys. The OP had the same problem as me, here is the thread rather then me trying to explain all the technical details, here it is.

forums.nvidia.com/ind…875

Sony extended the warranty for the graphics fault to 4 years I believe that should have been covered sort of?

Hi, I also have the same problem as the OP, I live in the UK. I wondering if I would be able to get the free repair and if they do it in the UK? I bought the laptop second hand, Model Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21Z, Graphics Nvidia Geforce 8600M. I think that Ive had the laptop for around 2 years. Its mainly been sitting in a drawer as I cant use it.

For alot of the time Ive had it its had one problem or another. Like, I didnt use it for months because I had the KSOD (blacK Screen Of Death) and I only resovled this with a new harddrive as nothing else would work that I tried & that was suggested on technical forums.

I upgraded Vista to Windows 7 and my laptop was working for a month or two and then I ended up getting the OPs problem and the pictures of the screen he posted look the same.

I see that there is a sony support link posted but it seems to be the US website and they have a US contact number. Do you think that I might be able to get my laptop repaired? I got all the documents and box still but as I didnt buy it brand new I have not got a receipt for it.

Thanks for any help. If I were to sell the laptop as it is on ebay or somewhere how much would I get? this lapttop has caused me alot of problems and Im just lucky that it wasnt my only computer.
Community Updates
MiscLaptopSony
8 Comments
only one way to find out! but honestly i used to work for sony and uve next to no chance id say, ill wish you good luck but there customer support is useless and i dont think they would even bat an eyelid at you if you bought it second hand

if you ring your local sony centre they will be able to give you the vaio link number (you might actually be able to get this online) but its a premium rate and there utterly useless

personally id cut my loses and try move it on, or if you really want it repaired go private... but then i dont know the exact circumstances of this type of extended warranty so there might be hope
I have a tosh with a screen that occasionally dies. For ages I resorted to hard booting to get it all back but recently plugged a screen in and when the screen died the next time I had proof that it was just the screen and not some other fault cos the other monitor was fine.

Its a common fault with laptops so unless your troubleshooting has already taken you in another direction I would suggest you plug a second screen it to be more sure of what is causing the problem.
Well if this is the graphics card fault then yes Sony covers it....From my experience.... their customer service is useless...crap...****...****....etc....

I think you need to call a 09 number which will cost you about £1.50 a minute then they want to go through some basic tests with you...and after that they will pick-up eventually if you agree for their terms and conditions...

In case if they found it is not the graphics card problem then they will charge you £700 to fix it even if it is a small problem like putting a cable together (Yes that's what they quoted me) I asked them to send it back they asked for £150 towards courier costs. I have not agreed to pay for that and The customer services guy said "we will send you a form for recycling the laptop, Please sign it and send it back" I have not even agreed for that...

After writing nearly about 30 mails to the customer services I managed to get the laptop back from them after paying £47 Once i got the laptop I opened to check what's the problem... the cable from motherboard to monitor is disconnected...so I just put it back and sold in ebay...

TO END THE STORY WITH I NEVER RECOMMEND ANY ONE TO BUY A SONY LAPTOP...People think they are paying premium price for quality..
Edited by: "ashok" 1st Jun 2011
Any way there is a known issue with this laptop that all the batteries for this models are died within 6-9 months... If you want to buy another battery from Sony they charge you £120-140...
I bought a second-hand sony vaio cs which had a problem with cooling system.The issue was also covered by the additional Sony warranty. I contacted them via support.vaio.sony.eu/com…_GB and they fixed it for me free of charge.

I bought a second-hand sony vaio cs which had a problem with cooling … I bought a second-hand sony vaio cs which had a problem with cooling system.The issue was also covered by the additional Sony warranty. I contacted them via http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/index.aspx?l=en_GB and they fixed it for me free of charge.

okay, that sounds promising, I'll check that link out tomorrow. Did they ask you to provide prood of purchasing it?

It sounds from some of the comments that Sony can be a bit hit or miss with there support. But most of the laptops that had that Nvidia graphics cards had problems so hopefully I'll be covered. I'll update it here how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.
jg213

okay, that sounds promising, I'll check that link out tomorrow. Did they … okay, that sounds promising, I'll check that link out tomorrow. Did they ask you to provide prood of purchasing it?

No, did not ask for anything
okay, I've been busy trying to prepare for exams etc so didnt get in touch with Sony until today. What a mission it is just to contact them. I wasnt phoning that 0906 number, but I finally found abit where you could email them.

Hopefully they get back to me in a reasonable amount of time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions