Sony’s PS4 Virtual Reality Headset is named Project Morpheus,

Found 19th Mar 2014
Sony has announced Project Morpheus, its virtual reality headset for PlayStation 4. It's a prototype for now, but Sony intends to develop it further for a commercial launch.

Morpheus is a visor style head-mounted display that works with the PlayStation Camera to deliver a virtual reality experience. Inertial sensors are built into the head mount unit and the Camera, which the headset requires to work, tracks head orientation and movement so as the player's head rotates the image of the virtual world rotates in real-time.

It also works with the PS Move motion controller. Morpheus reproduces the player's hands and sword, for example, within the game so the player feels like they are physically fighting enemies.

3D audio comes from the front, behind, left and right, recreating stereoscopic sounds heard from below and above.

At the Game Developers Conference this week Sony is showing off the tech with a demo of CCP's space dogfighting game Eve Valkyrie, which is also in development for rival VR headset Oculus Rift, Eidos Montreal's Thief and a couple of its own tech demos: The Castle, which uses the Move controller, and The Deep, which lets you observe waters from inside a shark proof cage.

Below are the current specifications of the prototype. Sony stressed they are subject to change:
◾Component: Processor unit, head-mounted unit
◾Display Method: LCD
◾Panel Size: 5 inches
◾Panel Resolution: 1920×RGB×1080 (960×RGB×1080 per eye)
◾Field of View: 90 degrees
◾Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope
◾Connection interface: HDMI + USB
◾Function: 3D audio, Social Screen

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said: "At SCE we view innovation as an opportunity to build on our mission to push the boundaries of play.

"Project Morpheus is the latest example of innovation from SCE, and we're looking forward to its continued development and the games that will be created as development kits get into the hands of content creators."

eurogamer.net/art…n-4
Community Updates
19 Comments
I really want to have ago of these devices (this and the oculus rift), im unsure at the moment if they will be the next big thing or not, will depend entirely on the experience, im still unsure if i would want such a device and if it will be a gimmick. I hear Microsoft also have a similar device in the pipeline as well.
I think this would make me vomit.
miikeyblue

I think this would make me vomit.

I think this will make me dribble. Imagine xhamster live cams! Nom nom.
gmdlogan

I think this will make me dribble. Imagine xhamster live cams! Nom nom.

I didn't consider this. I want one.
ZedEx

I really want to have ago of these devices (this and the oculus rift), im … I really want to have ago of these devices (this and the oculus rift), im unsure at the moment if they will be the next big thing or not, will depend entirely on the experience, im still unsure if i would want such a device and if it will be a gimmick. I hear Microsoft also have a similar device in the pipeline as well.

I know someone (a girl not interested in tech in the slightest!!!) who has used Sony's version. She said it was incredible and like being in the game. That's as much as I got from her before she was off talking about other crap again...
price point is going to be the most important thing with this. if its priced right, then they will sell a lot of these.

this is a potential game changer, if done properly
Deedie

price point is going to be the most important thing with this. if its … price point is going to be the most important thing with this. if its priced right, then they will sell a lot of these.this is a potential game changer, if done properly

It will have to be less than the console in order to make an impact, I feel.
KillFelix

It will have to be less than the console in order to make an impact, I … It will have to be less than the console in order to make an impact, I feel.

probably between £200-£300 I think. I would buy it at that price
http://images.eurogamer.net/2014/livetext/1663335/image.jpeg

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/adam/24332098033cfb4817a51c91eadee1c4/yeahliveblog_0482.jpg

http://cdn3.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/events/GDC%202014/Sony%20innovation%20event/headset%20on%20stage-580-90.jpg
the prototype looks very advanced in development. will be interesting to see how long they take to release this, and also what the final design will look like
Deedie

the prototype looks very advanced in development. will be interesting to … the prototype looks very advanced in development. will be interesting to see how long they take to release this, and also what the final design will look like

Likely very similar I think. looking at the older prototypes they showed off (The Dalek-type ones) I think they've honed it down to a near-final design now.
Blatant Oculus Rift knockoff that Sony will try to take all the credit for. Not impressed at all with this one.
the_mongoose_man

Blatant Oculus Rift knockoff that Sony will try to take all the credit … Blatant Oculus Rift knockoff that Sony will try to take all the credit for. Not impressed at all with this one.

lol, by the looks of this prototype, sony are way ahead of OR

when did development start on OR, sony have been developing this since 2010.
Edited by: "Deedie" 19th Mar 2014
the_mongoose_man

Blatant Oculus Rift knockoff that Sony will try to take all the credit … Blatant Oculus Rift knockoff that Sony will try to take all the credit for. Not impressed at all with this one.

Because Oculus Rift is the first ever VR headset...

Not to mention that this Sony headset has been in development since 2010, Oculus Rift has been going since 2012.
A rather strange and even a little funny peculiarity of yesterday’s presentation of the new Project Morpheus Virtual Reality Headset is that stereoscopic 3D, which is one of the most relevant parts of virtual reality, was never mentioned. Even the official press release completely skips that point.

Considering that, it’s not surprising that some thought to ask Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida directly, and he confirmed that the headset will be 3D by default:

Yes, by default it’s 3D like real.

Yoshida-san also gave quite a few more pieces of information on the hardware on Twitter and in the comments to his Official PlayStation Blog post.

We learn that the PlayStation camera will be required to use it, but the Move will be optional:

PlayStation Camera is required, PS Move is optional, depending on the title.

For conventional type game, you can use DualShock 4 no problem.

Watching movies won’t be the focus of the experience, but support is possible:

That’s not our focus but we can create a big virtual screen to watch a movie.

If you want to use your top-notch headset instead of the default speakers you’ll be able to:

The prototype comes with a headphone and will work with your headphone, too.

Yoshida-san also explained that games need to be programmed specifically for Morpheus, so we won’t be able to use our current titles unless the developers retool them:

Games have to be programmed for Morpheus, but a game like Outlast would be awesome : )

If you’re wondering about wearing glasses, or about the safety of your vision, Yoshida-san gave reassuring answers:

I wore glasses and have no problem using this prototype head mount unit : )

It feels very natural when you use it, but we are working with medical experts.

Finally, he also mentioned that he thinks the headset will also work for people that unfortunately have only one eye.

As usual Yoshida-san proves to be a gold mine of information, but of course we still don’t know when the unit will be released and for how much, and I’m quite sure many are wondering about that. We’ll have to wait and see, and we’ll keep you updated on any relevant info that will surface.

dualshockers.com/201…et/
Deedie

lol, by the looks of this prototype, sony are way ahead of ORwhen did … lol, by the looks of this prototype, sony are way ahead of ORwhen did development start on OR, sony have been developing this since 2010.

We'll see when it comes out. Oculus Rift has way more support and when I tested it, is was amazing. I'm intrigued, but not really impressed. My theory is if they have been developing since 2010 then they weren't keen to mention it, who knows. All I know is that Oculus got there first, and when this is released, Oculus will have developed even further. Plus there's the problem to tell if the PS4 can even handle it, because without a high steady frame rate it just feels like a being drunk simulator haha
Deedie

lol, by the looks of this prototype, sony are way ahead of OR

You're basing this on it's slick design and neon lights? Or on it's performance?

I love the idea of VR in the front room. (It certainly beats looking at the wife and kids.) Hope to see some good implementation for it. Games where you're in a seat/cockpit are ideal, but lots of other games could be improved by this immersion.
Am I ths only one that thinks of Call of Duty, Fifa14 (goalkeeper or ref) or maybe even the upcoming dying light could make use of this device?
i want to play destiny with this
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants