Expired

SORN on uninsured car.

Found 3rd Mar 2014
Can anyone help me with a query on SORNing my old car.

I've picked up my new car today and will be keeping my old car to tidy up and sell privately over the next few weeks..

I've transferred the insurance onto the new car and as far as I can tell I need to SORN my old car. And it will be kept on a private drive.

There is still about 5 months tax remaining on it.

Questions are:

Will I get a warning letter about it needing to be SORNed before any fine?

Is it common that most second hand cars sold now are SORNed?

Does it being SORNed make it more difficult to sell?

Will I get a refund for the remaining tax, or is that a separate form to fill in?

How can a potential buyer test drive the car if it's SORNed?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've read conflicting advice on several forums. Has anyone sold a SORNed car recently?
Community Updates
AskCar
21 Comments
hotukdeals.com/tag…008

Well explained in that thread with the required links to the website etc, should help you out a little
I take it that you are already driving the new car and that the old one is now on your private drive and no longer parked on a public road? That being the case I would answer your questions as follows;
1) Probably, but why wait? You should just sorn it right now. You can do it online, it takes about a minute, and the sorn is effective right away.
2) Only if they are no longer being used/ no longer insured or taxed.
3) No, why should it, apart from the test drive issue?
4) You have to apply for refund of road tax by filling in the appropriate form which you can get at the post office, but you are only refunded whole months so by applying now your refund will start with the whole month of April.
5) Officially they can't. A potential buyer can start it and inspect it but they can't drive it onto a public road. You could borrow trade plates if you know someone in the motor trade who has plates and would be willing for you to do this. Other way round it is to have it transported by trailer to private ground, test driven, then back to your driveway by trailer again....(_;)

The other option is to take out temporary insurance for perhaps 2 or 3 months and then it would be legal to drive as it is still taxed (and presumably MOT'd?). Obviously this may not be cost-effective, depending on your insurance status.
Good luck selling!
Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. SORN it is then.

This change seems to make selling a car very difficult now. I know I wouldn't buy a car I couldn't give a good test drive to. And trailering to private land is unlikely.

I might look at arranging a month of insurance. Anyone know of companies that do sorry term cover?
Original Poster
Ouch, insure4aday want £245 for 28. SORN it is.
Mod
You can get a road tax refund if you want. All depends how quickly you think it'll sell and how much value it'll add to the price.

You can get a refund of any full months remaining (so nothing for March)
gov.uk/gov…pdf
try your current insurer to cover your old car my insurer charged me £16 to insure my old car for a week
This is why I haven't sold a car privately for years, it's a right pain in the ****
Why do you need to sorn it at all? If its got current tax and mot, but no insurance, just park it off road. As long as a potential buyer has adequate insurance, test driving won't be a problem. Or is it just the road tax refund you want back?
craigstephens

Why do you need to sorn it at all? If its got current tax and mot, but no … Why do you need to sorn it at all? If its got current tax and mot, but no insurance, just park it off road. As long as a potential buyer has adequate insurance, test driving won't be a problem. Or is it just the road tax refund you want back?

+1 to this. Stipulate that the tax is not included in the sale (unless you want it to be) & then just remove the tax disc at point of sale.
Mod

craigstephens

Why do you need to sorn it at all? If its got current tax and mot, but no … Why do you need to sorn it at all? If its got current tax and mot, but no insurance, just park it off road. As long as a potential buyer has adequate insurance, test driving won't be a problem. Or is it just the road tax refund you want back?

craigstephens

Why do you need to sorn it at all? If its got current tax and mot, but … Why do you need to sorn it at all? If its got current tax and mot, but no insurance, just park it off road. As long as a potential buyer has adequate insurance, test driving won't be a problem. Or is it just the road tax refund you want back?

Have a look at the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE).

It is now a legal requirement to have insurance on a vehicle unless it is SORN.
BeerDrinker

Have a look at the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE).It is now a … Have a look at the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE).It is now a legal requirement to have insurance on a vehicle unless it is SORN.

Didn't realise this, what a waste of money! As if insurers don't get enough out of us without people having to insure something that will never be claimed against!
When trying to sell it the tax adds to the value unless you make it wort the buyers while, otherwise they've got to come along buy the car then go off insure it wait for a cover note etc to be able to tax it etc, unless they have trade plates or a transporter, or they will drive it away untaxed, in which case when you sell it get them to sign a copy of the purchase receipt with the date and time of collection of the car, because dvla will still have it registered in your name until the log book is received for change of ownership, and if any cameras pick up the untaxed vehicle it's still your responsibility. I always date and time receipts even if cars are taxed just to cover myself from parking/bus lane fines etc, dvla are a pain to deal with.
craigstephens

If the OP doesn't SORN it then he could potentially get a hefty fine, that's why! It's a legal requirement to have insurance or to SORN, irrespective of whether it's taxed or not.
Bobbajob

Thanks for all the advice. SORN it is then. This change seems to make … Thanks for all the advice. SORN it is then. This change seems to make selling a car very difficult now. I know I wouldn't buy a car I couldn't give a good test drive to. And trailering to private land is unlikely. I might look at arranging a month of insurance. Anyone know of companies that do sorry term cover?

If you want to look at short-term insurance then your current company may add it as a multi-car policy, costs a lot less than taking out short-term insurance.
traceym

When trying to sell it the tax adds to the value unless you make it wort … When trying to sell it the tax adds to the value unless you make it wort the buyers while, otherwise they've got to come along buy the car then go off insure it wait for a cover note etc to be able to tax it etc, unless they have trade plates or a transporter, or they will drive it away untaxed, in which case when you sell it get them to sign a copy of the purchase receipt with the date and time of collection of the car, because dvla will still have it registered in your name until the log book is received for change of ownership, and if any cameras pick up the untaxed vehicle it's still your responsibility. I always date and time receipts even if cars are taxed just to cover myself from parking/bus lane fines etc, dvla are a pain to deal with.

Buyer doesn't have to wait for cover note any more - just insure then go to post office a couple of hours later and buy tax disc, as post office now checks electronically that vehicle is insured and MOT'd. database updates 3 times daily.

Buyer will need to take the new keepers slip (given to them by the OP when they buy the car) to the PO when buying the tax disc.
BeerDrinker

You can get a road tax refund if you want. All depends how quickly you … You can get a road tax refund if you want. All depends how quickly you think it'll sell and how much value it'll add to the price.You can get a refund of any full months remaining (so nothing for March)https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/222566/dg_065248.pdf

If the OP sorns the vehicle the tax becomes invalid anyway and the vehicle is effectively untaxed. He still has to apply for a refund though, as the refund is not issued automatically.
Original Poster
I will give my insurance company a call tonight, and see what they can do, otherwise I will SORN it.

It's a minefield now when it comes to selling cars.

And thanks for all the comments.
Edited by: "Bobbajob" 4th Mar 2014
Original Poster
I've re-insured the car with Tesco Insurance for 30 days at a cost of £41.34.

I've just got to get my finger out now and get it sold.

Once again, thanks for all your advice above. It's much appreciated.
Bobbajob

I've re-insured the car with Tesco Insurance for 30 days at a cost of … I've re-insured the car with Tesco Insurance for 30 days at a cost of £41.34.I've just got to get my finger out now and get it sold.Once again, thanks for all your advice above. It's much appreciated.

I insured mine in a temp basis with Tesco whilst swapping plates and selling old one.

My new car was advertised without tax but seller purchased the new tax(at a cost to me) which was easiest,that way I could just collect and drive away.

Get your car advertised everywhere for maximum advertising,I advertised my old one on:

Gumtree
Ebay
Autotrader

My new one was on ebay and autotrader

Good luck
Protect your no claims. Drive it somewhere deserted and lite it up, tell insurer it was nicked. Wait for the cheque. Only kidding that would be highly illegal.
Original Poster
Ouch, insure4aday want £245 for 28. SORN it is.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions