Found 10th May
Any tips on sorting out short term insurance? Looking at getting a new car but unlikely I'll get mines sold before that. I would need to transfer my existing insurance policy over to the new vehicle but would still need to be insured in the other car until sold. Any suggestions? Surley can't be the only person to purchase a new car before getting rid of the other one!?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

Of course you can extend your insurance if needed on the other car, i did a couple of weeks ago. Worth checking with your insurer, when we swapped the wife's car last time, her policy allowed her 7 days insurance on her old car.
Failing that, park it on a driveway until you've sold it.

OldEnglish

Of course you can extend your insurance if needed on the other car, i did … Of course you can extend your insurance if needed on the other car, i did a couple of weeks ago. Worth checking with your insurer, when we swapped the wife's car last time, her policy allowed her 7 days insurance on her old car.Failing that, park it on a driveway until you've sold it.

How does that work, as I thought you could only use one set of no claims on one car unless its a multicar policy.

Do a change of vehicle on the existing policy to the new car, then ask them for the price on temporary cover on the old car. If the price is bad or they don't offer it, look online for temporary cover or sorn it off road until sold.

When I bought my new car I paid for a months temp cover with admiral for my old one. Cost me about £30 for basic third party fire & theft just so I could keep it insured and on the drive. That was a 2014 Golf worth about 10k (im 18 with 0 years ncb) so shouldnt cost to much for a month while you sell

you can usually transfer your existing insurance on to your new car and ask them how much for temporary insurance on the existing car until you sell it. I've done it before with a couple of companies it's not usually too expensive and saves the hassle of looking for quotes for a couple of weeks cover.

rhinopaul

How does that work, as I thought you could only use one set of no claims … How does that work, as I thought you could only use one set of no claims on one car unless its a multicar policy.

Not sure. Hastings direct will automatically cover the old car for 7 days when changing policys over, or at least they did do.

most insurers will temporarily add a different car to your current policy for somewhere between 1-30 days. Elephant, Aviva and Axa have all offered it to me for a fairly reasonable cost ( ~£50 a month) so switch your policy to the new car and add the old one as a temporary car

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I am with RAC and haven't gone though the specific options mentioned in this thread to them as I phoned them before posting this yesterday but the guy at that time said to me they don't do short term cover. he said my insurance would transfer to the new car on day of purchase and I would have to look into a short term cover from another company as they don't offer that's

Original Poster

AlfieW123

When I bought my new car I paid for a months temp cover with admiral for … When I bought my new car I paid for a months temp cover with admiral for my old one. Cost me about £30 for basic third party fire & theft just so I could keep it insured and on the drive. That was a 2014 Golf worth about 10k (im 18 with 0 years ncb) so shouldnt cost to much for a month while you sell

How do I get insured. I'm 26 with 4years ncb and can barely get insurance on a Cars at 1.5k

Is your standard. Was it a sports model at all?

little_green

How do I get insured. I'm 26 with 4years ncb and can barely get insurance … How do I get insured. I'm 26 with 4years ncb and can barely get insurance on a Cars at 1.5kIs your standard. Was it a sports model at all?

Ring up admiral, and say you want temporary cover for your old car while you sell it. They will ask how long for and then all the usual details, should only take about 10 mins. When I did mine I said a month and once I sold it they refunded me the 2 weeks insurance I didnt use.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Jacket recommendations.11
    2. New look christmas receipt11
    3. Swimming goggles for 3 year old33
    4. Nintendo switch browser22

See more discussions