Sound-proofing Windows?

Found 17th Oct 2011
Does anyone know of an effective DIY way of sound-proofing windows?

I've looked it up on the internet and found options that cost quite a bit. I'm in rented accommodation but the traffic noise is driving me crazy, particularly in the bedroom.

I can't really do anything permanent, and obviously don't want to pay a lot of money on rented property, so I just wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Many thanks for reading x
Community Updates
MiscWindows
27 Comments
Not sure if it would work but something like tarp over the window leaving a gap trying to create a poor mans double glazing might work?
Brick up the window
If it's private renting then i'll bet there must be loads of other places to rent if it's driving you crazy. Other than secondary double glazing or replacing the windows, there not a great deal you can do about it im afraid.
markq

Brick up the window

Ha! Not sure my landlord would be too pleased with that option!
Control panel > Sound > mute.
master_chief

Control panel > Sound > mute.

lol had to think about that for a mo before I got it
Nailez

Not sure if it would work but something like tarp over the window leaving … Not sure if it would work but something like tarp over the window leaving a gap trying to create a poor mans double glazing might work?

I was thinking if there was anything I could put on the inside of the windows, but was hoping there was a quick-fix see-through option

Noise cancelling earphones or ask council to divert traffic
Laineybobs

I was thinking if there was anything I could put on the inside of the … I was thinking if there was anything I could put on the inside of the windows, but was hoping there was a quick-fix see-through option

Thick sheet of perspex cut to the shape of the window frame.
Foxy102

If it's private renting then i'll bet there must be loads of other places … If it's private renting then i'll bet there must be loads of other places to rent if it's driving you crazy. Other than secondary double glazing or replacing the windows, there not a great deal you can do about it im afraid.

It is private rental. I've been looking for alternative places but nothing so far, so I'm stuck with it for another 6 months at the moment The apartment is a "new-build" and is apparently double-glazed, but it's obviously been done very cheaply.
Maybe I just have to get some ear-plugs? The only thing with that though is I'll sleep through my alarm! (tbh I could do with the extra sleep though, haha)
Laineybobs

I was thinking if there was anything I could put on the inside of the … I was thinking if there was anything I could put on the inside of the windows, but was hoping there was a quick-fix see-through option

you could get see through strong plastic tarplike sheets
If it's new build, re-silicone the edges of the frames.
oddballjamie

If it's new build, re-silicone the edges of the frames.

Yep, was gonna ask if noise seems to be coming through glass or frame. Could add pvcu strips as beading as well
Don't know how good it is at soundproofing, but like the others said, you can get the double glazing plastic stuff.
Someone posted a deal on here for Stormguard window insulation kit from B&Q. It's marked on the shelf at £7.99 but scans for £5. (It does, I bought some yesterday! )
Might be worth a try for a fiver???
^^^^^ Any form of insulation will help dampen the noise as well, so good shout
Carpet tacks on the road 300 yards away will have same effect.
Cost effective? Ear plugs?
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/sancho_1983/Untitled-4.jpg
I had problems with neighbours staying out in the garden until 5am -ass****s so I looked into secondary glazing, which is another window inside the window frame (some examples on youtube). I chose to experiment with a wooden frame next to the existing window and a removable wooden barrier, basically 2 huge pieces of mdf with rockwool sandwiched in the middle. I could then install it/take it down with a few bolts to the wooden frame in the windowsill. The glazing option is a better one - lets in light and isnt a fire hazard!, but not if your renting!?
Did you just steal my joke SanBro?
master_chief

lol Dont worry, the early bird catches the worm
Put your duvet and mattress up against the window, and sleep on the floor, at least it will be quieter
Is it feasible to swap rooms around? ie sleep in another room.
Could you not put up a very thick set of curtains? Google acoustic curtains for ideas.
master_chief

Lol, I was so excited to post it I didn't read the comments
sancho1983

Lol, I was so excited to post it I didn't read the comments

Let's compare family trees.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants