Soundbar upgrade cycle

Found 19th Jul
Contemplating buying a mid-range soundbar but just wondering how long does a soundbar generally last? Is it a one time purchase? Do they need to be upgraded every few years? Am I expecting them to stop working after a years?

EDIT:

Sorry I realise that the stop working part bit was stupid lol what I really meant was do soundbars become old quickly in terms of audio features. Like how often is there a new must-have audio innovation that becomes standard?

Reason I’m asking is because I’m a bit reluctant to spend a lot on something that will need to be upgraded often.

Hope this isn’t as stupid as the original question...
Community Updates
Top comments
No offence, but what a stupid question.
10 Comments
No offence, but what a stupid question.
You should be able to get sound out of them by connecting a cable for many years, but some functionality like manufacturer-specific wireless audio may be unusable with new hardware within a year or two.
Soundbars are generally a 2.1 stereo setup with some pesudo spatial audio. They're supposed to replace 5.1 surround packages but most are are pretty limited in what they can do. Some high end packages are specced to do Dolby Atmos but these are around the £1000 mark.

Upgrade wise depends on how much you spend but most amps are swapped out every 5-7 years for different features and the speakers/cables kept but this is not the case with a soundbar. I don't rate them myself but I'll happily make room for the speaker whilst most would baulk at the idea of having their room filled with additional tech.
Nothing lasts forever.
The answer is quite simple, it will last as long as it last for.
SOUTHWALES15 m ago

Nothing lasts forever.

34422715-UloSu.jpgAlbatross mate for life.
Sorry I realise that the stop working part bit was stupid lol what I really meant was do soundbars become technologically old quickly in terms of audio features. Like how often is there a new must-have audio innovation that becomes standard?

Reason I’m asking is because I’m a bit reluctant to spend a lot on something that will need to be upgraded often
Edited by: "hassan1994" 19th Jul
Soundbars are pretty simple really. The easiest setup is optical to your TV and the option of Bluettooth so you can play music from your phone or tablet. Most should have that. Wifi is a different story but the optical and BTconnections will be fine for many a year.
hassan19942 h, 35 m ago

Sorry I realise that the stop working part bit was stupid lol what I …Sorry I realise that the stop working part bit was stupid lol what I really meant was do soundbars become technologically old quickly in terms of audio features. Like how often is there a new must-have audio innovation that becomes standard?Reason I’m asking is because I’m a bit reluctant to spend a lot on something that will need to be upgraded often

That depends on how you define 'must have'.

They roll out new audio features every few years, but major changes to listening habits like surround sound are very rare. Once every couple of decades maybe?

You can buy a pair of high quality speakers from the 1960s and they'll work fine with a modern amp with bluetooth connectivity and so on. Depending on the inputs your soundbar has it may not be quite so usable in fifty years, but even if it only has HDMI I'd expect it to be easily usable for a couple of decades for basic sound output. I've no idea what their design life is in terms of durability though.
EndlessWaves13 h, 32 m ago

That depends on how you define 'must have'. They roll out new audio …That depends on how you define 'must have'. They roll out new audio features every few years, but major changes to listening habits like surround sound are very rare. Once every couple of decades maybe?You can buy a pair of high quality speakers from the 1960s and they'll work fine with a modern amp with bluetooth connectivity and so on. Depending on the inputs your soundbar has it may not be quite so usable in fifty years, but even if it only has HDMI I'd expect it to be easily usable for a couple of decades for basic sound output. I've no idea what their design life is in terms of durability though.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants