Expired

soundproofing a wall

Found 16th Nov 2014
Hello, just wondering if anybody has any ideas for soundproofing a wall cheaply? My 16 year old son has a bedroom next to mine and we have only a thin plasterboard wall between us. Just a bit fed up really when he's on his X-Box and computer, talking and playing games with his friends - it really sounds as if he is in the same room as me and he usually ends up shouting along with his friends when playing the games and getting over-excited.

I'm in the process of starting on doing up his room - repainting, new carpet and furniture etc and realise that the wardrobe and chest of drawers along that wall will absorb some of the noise, but don't think that will be enough. The walls are bare plaster at the moment and I am going to put up blown vinyl paper and paint it. Apart from the large expense of adding a thicker plasterboard wall, is there something else I could do myself (without getting a professional in) that would be much cheaper - is there something I can stick straight to the wall prior to papering it? I don't really want to resort to removing his tv and X-Box as have told him that I don't want it all in the sitting room (I have 3 other children that use the computer in the sitting room to do their homework, so don't want an X-Box in there). Any ideas please would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
Egg boxes work wonders. I know it sounds a bit weird but I've heard of people using them for home music studios and they are cheap, you might be able to buy the large trays somewhere, it's the indented sides that holds the eggs you want only.
neoprene is supposed to work, i heard of studios using offcuts from wetsuit manufacturers.
Get him some headphones.
I used this -

gowallpaper.co.uk/saa…HAQ

It works well, and personally I think it was worth it. (adjoining wall papered)
Original Poster
DVS_Dee

Get him some headphones.

He has got some headphones, but when he's playing the games (football, war games etc) he tends to shout quite a lot!
Original Poster
rehydrated

I used this - … I used this - http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/saarpor-latex-sound-proof-wall-liner.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAs6GjBRCy2My09an6uNIBEiQANfY4zOAKxBvH5vrfS0N62kP43b7wHQPZv9tGbZSG6KhIRYUaAoiR8P8HAQIt works well, and personally I think it was worth it. (adjoining wall papered)

Hello, I've had a look at this, but it says not to hang vinyl wallpapers on top as they reflect the noise. I have bought the white (you can paint on top) rolls of blown 'vinyl' (think it is called that, will have to check) - the type that is good for bad walls (Super Fresco), so now it looks like I can't use this paper. Did you use normal wallpaper to cover your wall? Thank you.
Hi,
Erm, I would need to check what "latex paper" it was, as I think there is a couple for sale on the site. (one "reflects" noise going out, one stops from coming in).

It was hung on top of lining paper, and then the "recommended lining paper" that they suggest you use was put on top of that and painted. (lining paper, latex paper, lining paper, paint) - matching the lining paper we had used in the room and painted already so the room looks white and you can't tell that the "soundproof wall" is different.

Have a check on the site, and see what paper would suit you best. (we also used the "recommended paste/adhesive" for the latex paper).

It will cost a few hundred, so maybe not the cheapest, but imo it is good, and will be up for as long as we stay here.
The plaster board wall must of been made with a wood frame that means it's got a cavity, how about drilling various small holes just enough for the nozzle of a can of expanding foam, and fill the cavity
You can get foam backed plasterboard for insulation which will work as soundproofing but this said given the construction of modern housing the sound will still carry through floors and ceilings to much the same volume.
Maybe ask you son to cool the sound level after a certain time particularly when your in your bedroom may be the best and cheapest solution.
Maybe OP is worried the son will hear them,
Have a look at efoam.co.uk
you get sound proofing which is 3 inches think and looks like a giant foam egg carton, it's just called directional foam sound proofing you can buy it from b&q and eBay it's pretty cheap
ding

The plaster board wall must of been made with a wood frame that means … The plaster board wall must of been made with a wood frame that means it's got a cavity, how about drilling various small holes just enough for the nozzle of a can of expanding foam, and fill the cavity

We did this and it has worked quite well.Used a screwdriver to make holes,sprayed in the foam then put baby wipes in the holes to stop the foam coming back out.
When we were sure it was dry we removed the wipes and polyfilled the holes.Just make sure you remove faceplates of light and electrical sockets because the foam might creep through and you will have to cut it away.
You will need to judge how much to put in each hole as too much and it starts forcing the gyproc away from the wall.You will know by the cracking noises We heard that on one wall so knew not to put as much foam in.lol.
ding

The plaster board wall must of been made with a wood frame that means … The plaster board wall must of been made with a wood frame that means it's got a cavity, how about drilling various small holes just enough for the nozzle of a can of expanding foam, and fill the cavity

This.
It's a bit of effort, but if you're bothered enough about the problem, filling the cavity with sand (in bags or similar) will give great sound-proofing. Obviously, you'll need to take the weight into account if upstairs.
Good luck.
We did this.
Removed plaster board.
Filled stud partition with rockwool insulation.
Boarded with 1cm thick plywood sheets.
Plastered and painted.
Extremely effective result.
Banned
Seriously ? Sound proofing?

How about telling him to shut the f*** up or face the consequences.

You are the parent, he is a child.
You could try this soundproof plasterboard - adds a bit to the wall depth, but not too much:

condell-ltd.com/Pro…Aug
I soundproofed my living room by double overboarding the ceiling and walls with staggered soundbloc boards.

Edited by: "coloradorockies" 17th Nov 2014
Bigfootpete

You could try this soundproof plasterboard - adds a bit to the wall … You could try this soundproof plasterboard - adds a bit to the wall depth, but not too much:http://www.condell-ltd.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=16364&gclid=CMXtmvDLgcICFQrjwgod9roAug

Musician

Seriously ? Sound proofing?How about telling him to shut the f*** up or … Seriously ? Sound proofing?How about telling him to shut the f*** up or face the consequences.You are the parent, he is a child.

He's 16.
You ever tried reasoning with a hormonal, excited and adrenalin fueled (from playing the games) 16 year old?
World of pain fella... WORLD of pain!
Edited by: "Holte_ender" 17th Nov 2014
Banned
Bigfootpete

You could try this soundproof plasterboard - adds a bit to the wall … You could try this soundproof plasterboard - adds a bit to the wall depth, but not too much:http://www.condell-ltd.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=16364&gclid=CMXtmvDLgcICFQrjwgod9roAug

Musician

Seriously ? Sound proofing?How about telling him to shut the f*** up or … Seriously ? Sound proofing?How about telling him to shut the f*** up or face the consequences.You are the parent, he is a child.

Funnily enough yes, I had one that is now 21.

He's over his world of pain now he knows who's boss in this house
Musician

Funnily enough yes, I had one that is now 21.He's over his world of pain … Funnily enough yes, I had one that is now 21.He's over his world of pain now he knows who's boss in this house

yeah - cos he suddenly realised where beer tokens come from.....:p
Holte_ender

He's 16.You ever tried reasoning with a hormonal, excited and adrenalin … He's 16.You ever tried reasoning with a hormonal, excited and adrenalin fueled (from playing the games) 16 year old?World of pain fella... WORLD of pain!

What's that got to do with my reply?
Bigfootpete

What's that got to do with my reply?

nothing - just unfortunately embedded in the quote - relax pal.
not read all the replies but im assuming this is when you go to bed and he is in his bedroom?
i would imagine a new tv downstairs maybe in the dining room would be better? they can play downstairs when round, and you are in bed. explain that if wants to play with friends in room whilst you are up then that fine, but when you go to bed, please play downstairs and keep noise down..
New tv got to be cheaper then sound proofing a room right?
Original Poster
t3rm3y

not read all the replies but im assuming this is when you go to bed and … not read all the replies but im assuming this is when you go to bed and he is in his bedroom?i would imagine a new tv downstairs maybe in the dining room would be better? they can play downstairs when round, and you are in bed. explain that if wants to play with friends in room whilst you are up then that fine, but when you go to bed, please play downstairs and keep noise down..New tv got to be cheaper then sound proofing a room right?

Because his room is being done, the X-Box and his tv are set up in the utility room (where the washing machine and tumble drier are) next to the kitchen. However, he doesn't have his friends over to play, he plays on-line with them. The problem is, is that I'd like to keep it all in the utility room, but I can still him (not as loud though) through the floorboards, also his sisters' room is above the utility room, so they are complaining about him as well. If I had bought the X-Box, I would probably take it away, however, my son actually bought it all with his own money, so a slight problem there! He's at college, but is due to start a part-time evening job at a pizza shop this week, so maybe by the time he has got home, etc, he will be too tired to stay up like he usually does. Besides that, I think that it might be a case of soundproofing just the one wall - it's quite a small room and the company that sell the sound proof liner mentioned in an earlier post, sell another type that is £24.99 a roll, so would need two rolls of it plus the adhesive, so would cost me about £75, which hopefully should help things a bit - still open to other ideas though as looking to do it as cheap as possible. Thank you.
Banned
Sophiasky

Because his room is being done, the X-Box and his tv are set up in the … Because his room is being done, the X-Box and his tv are set up in the utility room (where the washing machine and tumble drier are) next to the kitchen. However, he doesn't have his friends over to play, he plays on-line with them. The problem is, is that I'd like to keep it all in the utility room, but I can still him (not as loud though) through the floorboards, also his sisters' room is above the utility room, so they are complaining about him as well. If I had bought the X-Box, I would probably take it away, however, my son actually bought it all with his own money, so a slight problem there! He's at college, but is due to start a part-time evening job at a pizza shop this week, so maybe by the time he has got home, etc, he will be too tired to stay up like he usually does. Besides that, I think that it might be a case of soundproofing just the one wall - it's quite a small room and the company that sell the sound proof liner mentioned in an earlier post, sell another type that is £24.99 a roll, so would need two rolls of it plus the adhesive, so would cost me about £75, which hopefully should help things a bit - still open to other ideas though as looking to do it as cheap as possible. Thank you.

Holte_ender

yeah - cos he suddenly realised where beer tokens come from.....:p

Kind of ....

http://media.giphy.com/media/TQh3nVXVx9Xlm/giphy.gif

Sorry OP ! for my rambling, I guess if he's working in a pizza place soon, you could try lining the room with deep pan bases ?
Edited by: "Musician" 17th Nov 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions