Soundproofing an electric piano upstairs

Posted 28th Dec 2019
We bought our daughter an electric piano for Christmas, as an upgrade from her previous keyboard. Problem is because it is a fair bit heavier, comes with it's own wooden stand, and is more of a 'piano' action, we can hear the keys downstairs. Or more importantly, there's a chance the noises are going through to our neighbours adjoining house.

Has anyone got any idea what I can do to isolate the noise coming through the floor? It's already on thick carpet and underlay, but the wooden stand compresses that. I did wonder whether 'speaker spikes' might help, but I don't even know if they worked on speakers let alone with this issue.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

22 Comments
This might sound silly but could some tennis balls cut in half and placed under the stand help? You could also try one of those hard foam gym mats cut to size and placed underneath.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 29th Dec 2019
Haircut_10029/12/2019 00:07

This might sound silly but could some tennis balls cut in half and placed …This might sound silly but could some tennis balls cut in half and placed under the stand help? You could also try one of those hard foam gym mats cut to size and placed underneath.

Or just don’t buy your kids loud instruments for Christmas, that’s what you buy other people’s kids
Edited by: "Arto" 29th Dec 2019
Arto29/12/2019 00:15

Or just don’t buy your kids load instruments for Christmas, that’s what you …Or just don’t buy your kids load instruments for Christmas, that’s what you buy other people’s kids

Load instruments are the heaviest kind of sound.
Haircut_10029/12/2019 00:07

This might sound silly but could some tennis balls cut in half and placed …This might sound silly but could some tennis balls cut in half and placed under the stand help? You could also try one of those hard foam gym mats cut to size and placed underneath.

I think tennis balls might make it a bit too unstable, but foam mat sounds like an idea, thanks.
slimy3129/12/2019 00:22

I think tennis balls might make it a bit too unstable, but foam mat sounds …I think tennis balls might make it a bit too unstable, but foam mat sounds like an idea, thanks.

I heard egg boxes work
Arto29/12/2019 00:15

Or just don’t buy your kids loud instruments for Christmas, that’s what you …Or just don’t buy your kids loud instruments for Christmas, that’s what you buy other people’s kids

If it was only just 'loud' we'd make sure she used headphones (which she does). We didn't really consider the actual keyboard action being the cause of the sound.
slimy3129/12/2019 00:25

If it was only just 'loud' we'd make sure she used headphones (which … If it was only just 'loud' we'd make sure she used headphones (which she does). We didn't really consider the actual keyboard action being the cause of the sound.

Could try some sticky back rubber between the keyboard and the stand?
Arto29/12/2019 00:23

I heard egg boxes work

They'd very quickly turn back into cardboard, the whole unit weighs maybe 30 KG's?
slimy3129/12/2019 00:26

They'd very quickly turn back into cardboard, the whole unit weighs maybe …They'd very quickly turn back into cardboard, the whole unit weighs maybe 30 KG's?

Use a couple of towels
Arto29/12/2019 00:26

Could try some sticky back rubber between the keyboard and the stand?

Hmm, that might work as well. It's quite a secure fit between keyboard and stand, but that itself might be the issue. I would have to find longer screws but that won't be a problem.
slimy3129/12/2019 00:29

Hmm, that might work as well. It's quite a secure fit between keyboard and …Hmm, that might work as well. It's quite a secure fit between keyboard and stand, but that itself might be the issue. I would have to find longer screws but that won't be a problem.

Can’t hurt to try
You can buy foam sound proof sheets. If you’re worried about noise going through to the neighbor you could use some of this on the wall behind the keyboard. It’s designed to absorb the noise and looks like foam egg boxes ! It won’t work under the keyboard though. The best soundproofing under would be to use sound absorbing insulation under the floor boards but that would be a drastic solution. But I think the gym mat idea should work well.
Didn't you think about this problem before buying it?
chimp14uk29/12/2019 00:50

Didn't you think about this problem before buying it?

Almost as helpful as my comment.
Stop complaining about hearing keys. My mother put up with my discordant guitar for years. well, kinda. Buy her a drum kit, then you will know the difference.
Frankie7729/12/2019 01:02

Stop complaining about hearing keys. My mother put up with my discordant …Stop complaining about hearing keys. My mother put up with my discordant guitar for years. well, kinda. Buy her a drum kit, then you will know the difference.

Can your mother play the drums?
No.
Just search for Things like ‘soundproof matting’ or ‘acoustic wallpaper’ on Amazon - there’s lots of options you can apply to the walls to lessen the sound for your neighbours and lots of options for the floor to help lessen it for you.

39527512-xXheM.jpg
39527512-SyiES.jpg
Frankie7729/12/2019 01:02

Stop complaining about hearing keys. My mother put up with my discordant …Stop complaining about hearing keys. My mother put up with my discordant guitar for years. well, kinda.

Oddly enough my guitar playing in the next room doesn't come through to the other rooms as much as the piano does, despite it being a louder instrument. I'm probably describing it poorly, it's probably more of a vibration than a sound, hence the theory of decoupling the stand from the floor (and the foam matting probably being the solution). To be honest, it's very likely I'm overthinking its impact on the neighbours, it's doubtful the vibrations could get through brick anyway. We just need to resolve the noises coming through the floorboards.

The whole thing came as a bit of a surprise to us as this is a replacement for an existing keyboard and we couldn't hear the previous one.
At least you can play party games with the neighbours into the new year until you sort it out (Youtube video at 20:25) :
dummy keyboard 20:25
Make a hammock and suspend it from the ceiling.
Earplugs
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions