Expired

sounds like rats in the void between the ceiling and the upstairs floor!

Found 19th Mar 2013
The past couple of days, it sounds like we have rats in the void between the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs floor. The cat is at alert and a little hole (about half the size of a pencil) has formed in the middle of the living room ceiling. I don't know where to start with this one. We had works to extend the kitchen a couple of years ago and I think they most have got in through the disturbed drains. I did find a rat in the kitchen soon after and went to war with traps and sealing any holes, it seemed to have done the trick.

This time they are in a place that is not accessible. The noise can be horrendous when they are moving about. Any ideas anyone?
Community Updates
20 Comments
If you can identify where the noise is roughly, you will probably need to lift a few upstairs floorboards and put some poison in. No easy way to sort it unfortunately.
Lift a floor board and bait it is the best option. You can buy mouse repellant devices you plug in but I've no experience of them and if they work. Is there a light fitting where they are running? If so you could take the fitting down and see if you could try puting a bait bar through the gap.
sounds like mice they can squeeze through a hole the size of a pencil.Don't know the biology of it but collapsible jaws etc.you can get traps probably b & q or your local hardware shop and bait them,we use raspberry jam seems to work better than chocolate!You will have to take up your upstairs carpet to see if it's unscrewable floorboards or compressed rubbish like ours is.Made a square hole away from possible wire runs and put traps down and re boarded that section. We've got them in the loft too! bait them same way and we can control them.
Told it's because of the high water table forcing rodents into inhabited properties.
Best of luck oO
lancsman

sounds like mice they can squeeze through a hole the size of a … sounds like mice they can squeeze through a hole the size of a pencil.Don't know the biology of it but collapsible jaws etc.you can get traps probably b & q or your local hardware shop and bait them,we use raspberry jam seems to work better than chocolate!You will have to take up your upstairs carpet to see if it's unscrewable floorboards or compressed rubbish like ours is.Made a square hole away from possible wire runs and put traps down and re boarded that section. We've got them in the loft too! bait them same way and we can control them.Told it's because of the high water table forcing rodents into inhabited properties.Best of luck oO

Only down side to traps is you have to remove them and rearm after they go off, but they are ideal for accessable loft spaces. With bait it's more of an install and forget kind of situation as they wont take it all and usually it lasts ages. I've never used rasberry jam on traps (I may try next time), always used peanut butter as they go for it like wildfire.
Edited by: "Astec123" 19th Mar 2013
It might be better to use traps because you can remove the corpse/s. If it's between two floors, you don't want dead bodies getting smelly, maggoty, leaking through the plasterboard and filling the house with flies.
Sounds too loud to be mice (although I read the void amplifies the sound). The hole is not anywhere they can get in or out, looks like they cut the hole as a potential escape, but it has not worked out for them.

Will probably lift some boards in the bathroom and lay some traps, as we will be redoing the floor in the next couple of months. The lino will have to come up early
Edited by: "bigdaf1" 19th Mar 2013
are you sure its not squirrels,in west london we seem to have major problems with them at the moment
Yep, could be squirrels. I had them in the loft, they were really loud, lots of scratching etc.

Found the entrance hole that they'd chewed through the plastic pipe & blocked it up. Not had them back since (touchwood)
we had rats in the roof. hate them. the dogs killed one outside in garden and it was huge then we baited the fk out in the roof and never heard anything after. found that they had chewed through an airing brick to get in on ground floor and somehow get up in the roof. could hear then gnawing through bricks at times.
The smell of a dead rat is horrible. They take forever to decompose or whatever unlike mice which take few weeks. If u do kill it with poison just make sure u find it n throw it out ASAP
Get a keyboard and press CTRL + A + DEL.

Or...

Call out the pest control.
Thanks peeps for your answers, I have a plan, lift floorboards, lay a couple of traps. Catch a few. They will move on once they know that the place is not safe for them. (rats are smart!)
A few weeks on and the traps didn't catch any, they just moved their run to between another set of joists. Plan B executed:

A. Pull down ceiling (plaster, plaster board and all). One boards length for the entire width of the living room. It was due to have some work on it anyway. Seal any holes between the joists (cement/concrete) on the entire length, especially where the bath drain is. No access to the ceiling.
B. Pull out kitchen cabinet and gain access to where they are getting into the house (up the soil pipe running behind the wall). Pack and fill void there with cement mix/concrete/gravel.

So far one night in, all is quiet after that work done. Fingers crossed, it is sorted now. Total cost: £350 (labour and materials)
I have same problem (old house c 1750) and it seems they are getting into the void in my integrated front porch and ave found a way into the main house where the electric cables come in from the RCD located in the porch. I can see a small piece of dislodged loft insulation where they have squeezed past...

I Have also had them in my study which is an old outhouse converted, so plenty of voids in, but one thing the buggers do is dig hole to get into a soakaway and climb it to gutter level or go under foundations and up into any hole into the cavity wall space - ways in you just don't realise when looking for their access points to block.

A good blocking material is scrunched up chicken wire - it takes too long for the them to cut through - bit like barbed wire on battlefront!

The decaying smell can last up to 3 months+ if they die in situ, so don't bait. Best to Trap or entice them out to open with bird food and pop them off with an air rifle. If trapping - tie the trap to something because they will drag it or even trip it and remove it away so you can't find it again!! I have lost several like this and never ever found them!

Shooting Tip - make targets at the area they are likely to come to get the food and set your sights on the gun! Aim for the head. Their immense muscular reflex action can mean they can flip a massive 3 feet+ when hit and squeal like pics, so you want to get them good or they will disappear into undergrowth wounded. The Fox will be happy later though hopefully!

Edited by: "spirogiro" 29th Mar 2015
In the end, brought down ceiling panels (plasterboard) the length of the living room, filled all the holes in the wall between the kitchen and living room (end of old house/beginning of the extension) with concrete mixed with broken glass to stop them chewing through, basically sealed all the holes they could go through. And then put up a new ceiling. Total cost? about £500

Its been quiet for two years plus. The next to do is the kitchen ceiling as they are confined between the kitchen ceiling and the outside. When we get the chance, the kitchen ceiling is coming down and then we will seal between pipes (central heating, plumbing etc) and any entry points from outside then put up a new kitchen ceiling
Question: I have rats in the extension roof, built in 2007. Rats can be heard at night in the kitchen and bedroom area. All holes and as much of the cavity walls in the extension have been filled so that they cannot travel up the cavity walls. The man hole cover has been examined, resealed and Thames Water have also had a look to see if there are any cracks in the pipework, they found nothing. I am now looking at removing the roof. Any advice? SOS
Check under the eaves/soffits as rats and mice can actually walk up walls vertically!

Also, as mentioned in my earlier post, they often tunnel to the structure they are entering and thus no visible break-in signs evident. Do you have soft ground near/adjacent to the extension?
Check also the voids around central heating pipes and water/drainage/soil pipes in the vicinity. We found they were coming down into the kitchen following two routes 1. Down the boxed in central heating pipes to under the floor boards and 2. Down the boxed in soil pipe and through a hole at the floor and then under the kitchen floor cabinets.

we stuffed the void areas around the pipes with wire wool and then filled remaining gaps with expanding foam
I noticed this evening at 8pm. Scratching noise on the ceiling frm my dining room. Sounds like scraping noise frm upstairs but it not. Then sounded like it's under the floorboards upstairs coming dwn to the dwnstairs ceiling. Can anyone help ? Any ideas what it could be ???
Hislam_10

I noticed this evening at 8pm. Scratching noise on the ceiling frm my … I noticed this evening at 8pm. Scratching noise on the ceiling frm my dining room. Sounds like scraping noise frm upstairs but it not. Then sounded like it's under the floorboards upstairs coming dwn to the dwnstairs ceiling. Can anyone help ? Any ideas what it could be ???

Read all of the above - sounds like a rodent of some type...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants