Southern Electric costs per unit??? (PRE-PAYMENT METER)

Found 11th Jul 2012
Hi All,

Been trying to find out exactly how much im paying per unit on my gas and electric - as id like to start comparing it against other providers on U-Switch.

Im with Southern Electric and we have a meter where you have to pay onto a key and card to credit both the gas and electric.
Does anyone please know the cost per unit for each of the Gas and Electric??????

Ive been told u get charged much more per unit if you have a pre-payment meter so im looking to get it taken out then also change provider if there are cheaper providers out there.

15 Comments

BG will change your meter for free all other charge, you will need to go through a credit check though

SSE will charge you about £50 to change the meter I think, perhaps a small amount more.

Other providers may do it for free but reserve the right to charge you if you leave them within a year.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

nick that used to be the case, but not now. Im with southern for my key meter but i have a normal meter for gas. I think, but am not sure that some providers will change them over but charge you for it.

My bill states i am on a standard ppm and pay 15.960 for each kilowatt hour. If you press the button on the front off the meter it will show this. you have to press a few times though.

The customer service no is 0800 616 009 if you want any further help
Edited by: "leecroot" 11th Jul 2012

leecroot

nick that used to be the case, but not now. Im with southern for my key … nick that used to be the case, but not now. Im with southern for my key meter but i have a normal meter for gas. I think, but am not sure that some providers will change them over but charge you for it. My bill states i am on a standard ppm and pay 15.960 for each kilowatt hour. If you press the button on the front off the meter it will show this. you have to press a few times though.The customer service no is 0800 616 009 if you want any further help

Wow, you're being shafted on that... we pay 9.? pence per kWh. OK it's not a pre-payment meter (been there done that), we used to pay around the same as that about 3 years ago, we switched to billed payment (monthly direct debit) and went from paying approx £20 per week to around £40 per month, so halved our electric bill just by getting rid of pre-payment and on another tarrif (with same company too).. was around 7.8p per unit if I remember correctly... we now pay approx 9.6 per unit and our DD is about £46 a month but more than covers our usage so we end up in credit.. with npower now.

Good luck with it, it is easy to change most of the time.. just every now and then when switching there's been a c*ckup on their side, but usually resolved very quickly.
Edited by: "paddy.stone" 11th Jul 2012

Electricity prices vary by region, so without knowing where the OP lives, nobody can help.

Banned

paddy.stone

Wow, you're being shafted on that... we pay 9.? pence per kWh. OK it's … Wow, you're being shafted on that... we pay 9.? pence per kWh. OK it's not a pre-payment meter (been there done that), we used to pay around the same as that about 3 years ago, we switched to billed payment (monthly direct debit) and went from paying approx £20 per week to around £40 per month, so halved our electric bill just by getting rid of pre-payment and on another tarrif (with same company too).. was around 7.8p per unit if I remember correctly... we now pay approx 9.6 per unit and our DD is about £46 a month but more than covers our usage so we end up in credit.. with npower now.Good luck with it, it is easy to change most of the time.. just every now and then when switching there's been a c*ckup on their side, but usually resolved very quickly.

yep - 16p per unit is the most I have ever seen. Mine is 8.9p with OVO (southern region) and gas is 3.2p

csiman

yep - 16p per unit is the most I have ever seen. Mine is 8.9p with OVO … yep - 16p per unit is the most I have ever seen. Mine is 8.9p with OVO (southern region) and gas is 3.2p

Thanks for the reply. ill be on the phone to them in the morning.

Banned

leecroot

Thanks for the reply. ill be on the phone to them in the morning.

they dont adjust their prices on an individual basis but may have a better scheme

better off switching and getting cashback too

www.uswitch.com
Edited by: "csiman" 12th Jul 2012

csiman

they dont adjust their prices on an individual basis but may have a … they dont adjust their prices on an individual basis but may have a better schemebetter off switching and getting cashback toohttp://www.uswitch.com

Ill be checking as they have told me in the past that there is no difference to the cost per unit. I asked them to take the meter out and was told that there was no need as the price would be the same. Thats for the advice.

Original Poster

Hi Guys - Hope this thread is still live...

Ive rang my provider today -

With regards to my location its South Yorkshire.
I was told the rate for GAS is 8.5p per k/w for the first 600 units then its 3.8p per k/w for any used afterwards.
And the ELECTRIC is 14.37p per k/w

BUT to have the meters removed they said it would cost me £50 EACH so £100 in total.

So i would like to know based on the rates im paying and also based on the fact i would need to save £100 to break even to cover the £100 cost of having the meters out - is there a better provider / option other than what im currently on ??????

Banned

nick1981

Hi Guys - Hope this thread is still live...Ive rang my provider today - … Hi Guys - Hope this thread is still live...Ive rang my provider today - With regards to my location its South Yorkshire.I was told the rate for GAS is 8.5p per k/w for the first 600 units then its 3.8p per k/w for any used afterwards.And the ELECTRIC is 14.37p per k/wBUT to have the meters removed they said it would cost me £50 EACH so £100 in total.So i would like to know based on the rates im paying and also based on the fact i would need to save £100 to break even to cover the £100 cost of having the meters out - is there a better provider / option other than what im currently on ??????

your electric charge is extortionate and gas isnt cheap either

better off switching and getting cashback too

uswitch.com
Edited by: "csiman" 13th Jul 2012

I have a prepaymeter from southern electric but want to change over to a different supplier. would the new supplier remove it or would i have to get southern electric to do it and how much would it cost

debsandjay1967

I have a prepaymeter from southern electric but want to change over to a … I have a prepaymeter from southern electric but want to change over to a different supplier. would the new supplier remove it or would i have to get southern electric to do it and how much would it cost

Either can do it, not sure about prices, call them both to see who can do it cheapest.

We are on a pre payment meter too, just checked on the meter how much we are paying per k/w and its 20.41!

We want to change out electricity asap, and want to get off a key meter, and go onto paying direct debit every month, can another provider take your meter out free of charge? as southern are quoting £52 for the removal of the box.

Uswitch, comes up with no plans for me, how can i find out the cheapest place for my electricty, it doesnt take into account i want to come off pre-payment on on to direct debit

I want to keep my same gas provider, just change electricity.

Please help

Edited by: "lynzielou" 27th Jan 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text