Spam email from Royal Mail.

Found 4th Dec 2013
If you get an email from Royal Mail saying lost/ missing package and saying they are holding a package for you DO NOT open the attachment as it contains a malicious file. Luckily I rang Royal Mail up to check before opening the attachment.

19 Comments

Why would you ring them?
You could always check to see who it was from, or you know, use common sense?

Banned

Title needs amending. It is misleading.

If royal mail have a parcel for you they put a card in your door saying its too big to deliver come pick it up, why on earth would they email you?

hover over the link if you have to and it will be some ridiculous url... not hard to work out if spam or real

I've had this from other couriers aswell, UPS IIRC.

mrbargain

I've had this from other couriers aswell, UPS IIRC.

You had it from other accounts claiming to be courriers

http://i.imgur.com/r98BJOt.gif

our postman doesnt always leave a card,but thanks for the warning

It is a virus. I had had three of these this week. My email server reported them as containing viruses.

teh arn

You had it from other accounts claiming to be courriers

Yes, correct, that's what I meant. It was SPAM which I ignored.

Original Poster

It looked authentic and came from royalmail.com. It claims the parcel is held by customs

dillipop27

It looked authentic and came from royalmail.com. It claims the parcel is … It looked authentic and came from royalmail.com. It claims the parcel is held by customs

Did it not cross your mind how they got your email address?

I and a lot of you are computer savvy and we know it's dodgy. To be fair, not everyone is. There will be new people going on the internet all the time who "not up to scratch" with it all. So,.......... good to warn.
The one I got yesterday said it comes from
sfpqkyjrde@biz.rr.com

The one today says.
(noreply@royalmail.com

I am actually waiting for an overdue parcel from HK... I think i'll click it (_;)

Original Poster

I am actually waiting for an overdue parcel as well.

They have my email address as I have signed up to their website.

I am well aware of the spam emails from couriers and avoid them like the plague but this one had a ring of truth about it, came from noreply@royalmail.com and I very nearly opened the attachment. Fortunately I rang Royal Mail customer services which has a message on their phoneline about the spam email.

If I have helped one person by giving the warning I will be happy.

If you signed up to RM's website then there is readily available info on the website

• We will never send an email asking for credit card numbers or other personal or confidential information.
• We will never ask customers to enter information on a page that isn’t part of the Royal Mail website.
• We will never include attachments unless the email was solicited by customer and sent from a recognised member of Royal Mail staff.

If you didn't sign up to RM then you would have to wonder how they got your email address.

http://i.imgur.com/PbRQQb1.png

RM have lost a shed load of mine.

I've had a few of these emails from UPS and another courier I can't remember now, strangely enough it's always when I'm expecting a delivery, though the emails went to spam and Royal Mail was actually delivering the packages so used common sense not to open the attached file

Received it too.. There is a warning on Royal mail website about it.

royalmail.com/per…ail
Edited by: "winchman" 5th Dec 2013

My college teacher got this 2 weeks ago just after he finished lecturing about phishing and spam emails hahaha
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants