Spare a thought for the early starters on Boxing Day

Posted 22nd Dec 2019
twitter.com/AJS…055

Some stores out there are opening 4am to accommodate people chasing sales, and having their retail staff cut short their christmas days with their family and their kids. In truth Boxing Day should be Sunday opening hours.

Anyone agree?
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Agree, let’s close the hospitals and let the emergency services have the day off too I worked in retail many years ago, Christmas opening wasn’t hidden, you were well aware, no one was conscripted to the job, it’s a choice. Most have a rota system, but those with kids whinged and I ended up working every year, finished on Christmas Eve, back Boxing Day at 5am, no one died
frakison22/12/2019 11:08

Agree, let’s close the hospitals and let the emergency services have the d …Agree, let’s close the hospitals and let the emergency services have the day off too I worked in retail many years ago, Christmas opening wasn’t hidden, you were well aware, no one was conscripted to the job, it’s a choice. Most have a rota system, but those with kids whinged and I ended up working every year, finished on Christmas Eve, back Boxing Day at 5am, no one died

Stop speaking logic. We don't do that here.
Reported.
There is absolutely no need for any shop to be open on boxing day
I'd be ringing in sick if they tried making me get up at that time. Also not sure why it says #torybritain on the bottom of the sign. Matalan opening hours has nothing to do with politics
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 22nd Dec 2019
48 Comments
I always used to love working Boxing Day and even Christmas Day as got triple pay people were always in better spirits when shopping as well.
Also not everyone has family to spend it with.
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 22nd Dec 2019
I'd be ringing in sick if they tried making me get up at that time. Also not sure why it says #torybritain on the bottom of the sign. Matalan opening hours has nothing to do with politics
Agree, let’s close the hospitals and let the emergency services have the day off too I worked in retail many years ago, Christmas opening wasn’t hidden, you were well aware, no one was conscripted to the job, it’s a choice. Most have a rota system, but those with kids whinged and I ended up working every year, finished on Christmas Eve, back Boxing Day at 5am, no one died
frakison22/12/2019 11:08

Agree, let’s close the hospitals and let the emergency services have the d …Agree, let’s close the hospitals and let the emergency services have the day off too I worked in retail many years ago, Christmas opening wasn’t hidden, you were well aware, no one was conscripted to the job, it’s a choice. Most have a rota system, but those with kids whinged and I ended up working every year, finished on Christmas Eve, back Boxing Day at 5am, no one died

Stop speaking logic. We don't do that here.
Reported.
MonkeyMan9022/12/2019 11:05

I'd be ringing in sick if they tried making me get up at that time. Also …I'd be ringing in sick if they tried making me get up at that time. Also not sure why it says #torybritain on the bottom of the sign. Matalan opening hours has nothing to do with politics

And that’s why this country is in the mess it’s in to be fair, no work ethic, if anyone did that where I worked you got your hours cut until someone else peed them off more and they needed you
MonkeyMan9022/12/2019 11:05

...Also not sure why it says #torybritain on the bottom of the sign. …...Also not sure why it says #torybritain on the bottom of the sign. Matalan opening hours has nothing to do with politics

A possible clue on the right within the description of @AJScattergood...

39465403-FC1n2.jpg
frakison22/12/2019 11:09

And that’s why this country is in the mess it’s in to be fair, no work eth …And that’s why this country is in the mess it’s in to be fair, no work ethic, if anyone did that where I worked you got your hours cut until someone else peed them off more and they needed you

So you think this country is a mess because people don't want to start work at 4am on boxing day in retail give your head a shake. There's something in this world called ethical morals and values. Your argument would be valid in an important sector and I would agree. But not retail.
fanpages22/12/2019 11:27

A possible clue on the right within the description of …A possible clue on the right within the description of @AJScattergood...[Image]

Says it all
I am working on 1st Jan.
It's my job, you just get on with it.
And no triple pay either, just normal pay.
MonkeyMan9022/12/2019 11:31

There's something in this world called ethical morals and values.

39465547-Lvf5I.jpg
I have worked Christmas Day, Boxing Day and every other Bank Holiday for the last 20 years (not all of them, just what was rostered or I couldn't book as Leave). I worked in an industry where this was 'part of the job'. If you don't like it, change job. simples!.

On the other side of the coin, any decent employer will actively seek volunteers and pay a decent overtime rate, That is where any immorality lies. IMHO.
MonkeyMan9022/12/2019 11:31

So you think this country is a mess because people don't want to start …So you think this country is a mess because people don't want to start work at 4am on boxing day in retail give your head a shake. There's something in this world called ethical morals and values. Your argument would be valid in an important sector and I would agree. But not retail.

I think it’s you who needs to give your head a wobble and it’s pretty insulting to everyone in retail for you to say that their work isn’t important. Do the shops open because no one goes in and they fancy an easy day?? No, that would be stupid, there is a demand and if you don’t fill the demand, someone else will and you lose revenue, potentially putting jobs at risk, it’s VERY basic business.

I do think people like like you are what’s wrong with this country, you want to pick and chose when it suits you to work. If you can do that, great, lucky you, but most people can’t and if everyone shared your selfish attitude, we’d be in a right mess. You think it’s OK to let the team down as some one else has to cover your shift? Free tip for you, we had people like you ring in sick onthe crappy days and guess what, everyone hated them and they soon left
Would prefer them to open at 03:30 if they are in there anyway. I got money to spend and bargains to find
airbus33022/12/2019 12:41

I have worked Christmas Day, Boxing Day and every other Bank Holiday for …I have worked Christmas Day, Boxing Day and every other Bank Holiday for the last 20 years (not all of them, just what was rostered or I couldn't book as Leave). I worked in an industry where this was 'part of the job'. If you don't like it, change job. simples!.On the other side of the coin, any decent employer will actively seek volunteers and pay a decent overtime rate, That is where any immorality lies. IMHO.

Exactly, I remember once we were offered the choice to leave at 3.30pm when the store closed on Christmas Eve and start at 5.00am on the 27th OR stop till the usual time of 5.00pm and prep for opening and start at the usual time. Everyone beggared off early to the pub, but then those same people were whinging about how unfair it was at 5am a few dats later
Turret-Buddy22/12/2019 12:52

Would prefer them to open at 03:30 if they are in there anyway. I got …Would prefer them to open at 03:30 if they are in there anyway. I got money to spend and bargains to find

Thing is, you’re joking but people would.... anything for a £200 85” 4KPolaroid TV
Edited by: "frakison" 22nd Dec 2019
frakison22/12/2019 12:44

I think it’s you who needs to give your head a wobble and it’s pretty ins …I think it’s you who needs to give your head a wobble and it’s pretty insulting to everyone in retail for you to say that their work isn’t important. Do the shops open because no one goes in and they fancy an easy day?? No, that would be stupid, there is a demand and if you don’t fill the demand, someone else will and you lose revenue, potentially putting jobs at risk, it’s VERY basic business. I do think people like like you are what’s wrong with this country, you want to pick and chose when it suits you to work. If you can do that, great, lucky you, but most people can’t and if everyone shared your selfish attitude, we’d be in a right mess. You think it’s OK to let the team down as some one else has to cover your shift? Free tip for you, we had people like you ring in sick onthe crappy days and guess what, everyone hated them and they soon left

I've been there done that got the t shirt with retail. I never got a boxing day off and it didn't bother me as it was part of the job. But there is no way I'd be working at 4am just to please the shareholders, because that's all it is. There is more to life than work and that's exactly why I got out of retail. They even have the audacity to make Xmas day your scheduled day off rather than getting Xmas day plus your normal day off. If your "team" were a good team then you would all ring in and make a point you won't be coming in so early. Nobody goes shopping at that time. The big bosses who are at home in bed would soon realise they shouldn't be opening at such a stupid time. Working boxing day in retail and working at 0330 on boxing day in retail are 2 completely different things. 1 is acceptable 1 isn't.
MonkeyMan9022/12/2019 13:00

I've been there done that got the t shirt with retail. I never got a …I've been there done that got the t shirt with retail. I never got a boxing day off and it didn't bother me as it was part of the job. But there is no way I'd be working at 4am just to please the shareholders, because that's all it is. There is more to life than work and that's exactly why I got out of retail. They even have the audacity to make Xmas day your scheduled day off rather than getting Xmas day plus your normal day off. If your "team" were a good team then you would all ring in and make a point you won't be coming in so early. Nobody goes shopping at that time. The big bosses who are at home in bed would soon realise they shouldn't be opening at such a stupid time. Working boxing day in retail and working at 0330 on boxing day in retail are 2 completely different things. 1 is acceptable 1 isn't.

If only life was that simple
I figured stores were opening mid morning on Boxing Day if they opened at all and certainly not before dawn.
This is just plain silly and a testament to rampant consumerism.
There's no justification for it and if some rogue retailers wants to act so selfishly then others should ignore them so they don't look as bad.
mikeportsmouth22/12/2019 14:27

There's no need but then again we live in a Capatilist society and if there's enough people wanting too go shopping on Boxing day the retailers will pay staff too come in and work if everyone boycotted the shops on Boxing day then the shops would be closed so pointless blaming the Retailers, it's the public at large too blame, no demand and there won't be any shops open, it's all in the name of Capatilism.

MynameisM22/12/2019 15:50

There's no need but then again we live in a Capatilist society and if …There's no need but then again we live in a Capatilist society and if there's enough people wanting too go shopping on Boxing day the retailers will pay staff too come in and work if everyone boycotted the shops on Boxing day then the shops would be closed so pointless blaming the Retailers, it's the public at large too blame, no demand and there won't be any shops open, it's all in the name of Capatilism.

Not everybody is a Christian. Probably a majority who are don't even know (nor care) it is Saint Stephen's Day, or the historical significance of his contribution to the religion.

Then again, not everybody has servants &/or errand boys that traditionally were rewarded for their service on Boxing Day.

Where do you draw the line though?

My train service operator does not run services on Christmas Day & Boxing Day, but my local bus company runs select services on Christmas Day & is operating as normal on Boxing Day.

Would you consider it OK for fuel service stations to open?

Emergency Service personnel still need to get to work; perhaps buy their meals on the way, or on the way home, etc.
fanpages22/12/2019 16:09

Not everybody is a Christian. Probably a majority who are don't even know …Not everybody is a Christian. Probably a majority who are don't even know (nor care) it is Saint Stephen's Day, or the historical significance of his contribution to the religion. Then again, not everybody has servants &/or errand boys that traditionally were rewarded for their service on Boxing Day. Where do you draw the line though? My train service operator does not run services on Christmas Day & Boxing Day, but my local bus company runs select services on Christmas Day & is operating as normal on Boxing Day. Would you consider it OK for fuel service stations to open? Emergency Service personnel still need to get to work; perhaps buy their meals on the way, or on the way home, etc.

I`m not talking about religion or emergency services , if people cant get enough petrol or food for two days of holiday then its a poor outlook
mikeportsmouth22/12/2019 16:13

I`m not talking about religion or emergency services , if people cant get …I`m not talking about religion or emergency services , if people cant get enough petrol or food for two days of holiday then its a poor outlook

You might not have mentioned them but I did; those workers need food & petrol.
I finish at 7am Xmas morning - and in my job, I consider myself lucky to be doing that. Others are in at the time I leave, and stay all day... Boxing day? Nice to have off, but not the end of the world if you don't!
Personally I think all retail should close on Christmas Day and Boxing, some companies are starting to do it but not all
ndyanem22/12/2019 17:54

Personally I think all retail should close on Christmas Day and Boxing, …Personally I think all retail should close on Christmas Day and Boxing, some companies are starting to do it but not all

People have come to expect Boxing day sales so that will be a hard one to implement now. As I’ve said before, if there was no demand, there would be no supply. I’ve never said I agree with it, but ultimately, no one is forced to stay in a job. It strikes me that some people are taking on the fight of people who don’t have a big problem with it and just take it for what it is and accept its part of the job
M&S are open here on Christmas eve until 8pm
frankly I think it is the shoppers who need their 'heads examining'

spend this precious time with your family or doing what you enjoy for crying out loud.
fanpages22/12/2019 16:42

You might not have mentioned them but I did; those workers need food & …You might not have mentioned them but I did; those workers need food & petrol.

so what
Wongy11022/12/2019 18:29

M&S are open here on Christmas eve until 8pmfrankly I think it is the …M&S are open here on Christmas eve until 8pmfrankly I think it is the shoppers who need their 'heads examining' spend this precious time with your family or doing what you enjoy for crying out loud.

Exactly. I think Christmas Eve should run on Sunday hours. Surely people can cope for 2 days of no shops. As for people coming to expect it, hasn’t there been a massive decline on Boxing Day shoppers now we have internet sales? We have peacocks open on Boxing Day surrounded by 4 shops and all the other shops are shut. I can’t see peacocks having much footfall and feel sorry for the staff having to work it.
ndyanem22/12/2019 19:16

Exactly. I think Christmas Eve should run on Sunday hours. Surely people …Exactly. I think Christmas Eve should run on Sunday hours. Surely people can cope for 2 days of no shops. As for people coming to expect it, hasn’t there been a massive decline on Boxing Day shoppers now we have internet sales? We have peacocks open on Boxing Day surrounded by 4 shops and all the other shops are shut. I can’t see peacocks having much footfall and feel sorry for the staff having to work it.

Most people seem to be stocking up for the zombie apocalypse
but if you are not organised enough to plan one family meal enough food for a couple
of days maybe a present or two in this age of 'home delivery'

Then tough matey.
Wongy11022/12/2019 19:21

Most people seem to be stocking up for the zombie apocalypse but if you …Most people seem to be stocking up for the zombie apocalypse but if you are not organised enough to plan one family meal enough food for a coupleof days maybe a present or two in this age of 'home delivery'Then tough matey.

Every year people go mad on the food and spend an average an extra £60 on there weekly shop. As long as you have bread, milk, eggs and a few tins in the cupboard you can cope on Boxing Day and wait till the 27th
ndyanem22/12/2019 19:23

Every year people go mad on the food and spend an average an extra £60 on …Every year people go mad on the food and spend an average an extra £60 on there weekly shop. As long as you have bread, milk, eggs and a few tins in the cupboard you can cope on Boxing Day and wait till the 27th

I do need to buy milk and only 46 hours to do it in.

39469141-y4Vq3.jpg

MynameisM22/12/2019 15:50

There's no need but then again we live in a Capatilist society and if …There's no need but then again we live in a Capatilist society and if there's enough people wanting too go shopping on Boxing day the retailers will pay staff too come in and work if everyone boycotted the shops on Boxing day then the shops would be closed so pointless blaming the Retailers, it's the public at large too blame, no demand and there won't be any shops open, it's all in the name of Capatilism.

fanpages22/12/2019 16:09

Not everybody is a Christian. Probably a majority who are don't even know …Not everybody is a Christian. Probably a majority who are don't even know (nor care) it is Saint Stephen's Day, or the historical significance of his contribution to the religion. Then again, not everybody has servants &/or errand boys that traditionally were rewarded for their service on Boxing Day. Where do you draw the line though? My train service operator does not run services on Christmas Day & Boxing Day, but my local bus company runs select services on Christmas Day & is operating as normal on Boxing Day. Would you consider it OK for fuel service stations to open? Emergency Service personnel still need to get to work; perhaps buy their meals on the way, or on the way home, etc.

mikeportsmouth22/12/2019 16:13

I`m not talking about religion or emergency services , if people cant get …I`m not talking about religion or emergency services , if people cant get enough petrol or food for two days of holiday then its a poor outlook

fanpages22/12/2019 16:42

You might not have mentioned them but I did; those workers need food & …You might not have mentioned them but I did; those workers need food & petrol.

mikeportsmouth22/12/2019 19:05

so what

Good chat. Thanks.
I think shops should be free to open 24/7 365. Lot's of people don't care about xmas and those that do can book holidays. The days of restrictive hours based on religious holidays are happily nearly over.
Lol early starters Boxing Day, I have early start every day this week, no day off...
Azwipe23/12/2019 00:59

I think shops should be free to open 24/7 365. Lot's of people don't care …I think shops should be free to open 24/7 365. Lot's of people don't care about xmas and those that do can book holidays. The days of restrictive hours based on religious holidays are happily nearly over.

I agree apart from it’s not religious reason why people want the time off, it’s time with family... lots of places don’t allow holidays as to many would want time off...
I'm working Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, I'm a recovery driver I will only be paid normal pay but I knew this when I applied for the job, people should just get on with it, I would personally love to be at home with family and friends but work pays the bills that has to come first.
Edited by: "Sprograt" 23rd Dec 2019
Triple pay plus a day in lieu is fine. Else they are Scrooge.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions