Expired

Spare Tyres

Found 22nd May
Last Sunday I was travelling on the M6 when my tyre burst. Having a car with no spare in the boot, I suffered a 4-hour wait and a £150 cost for a weekend callout to fit a new tyre

I'm now looking to buy a spare for the boot and I have the wheel spec to hand. However, my two front tyres have a V speed rating and the rear tyres are H.

Now, in my mind, I thought buying a V tyre would be better (as I gather that technically it would allow me to carry a load at a faster speed). However, I wondered if someone with a much better knowledge could advise me as to which speed rating I should be purchasing.
Community Updates
AskHome & GardenTyres
26 Comments
One that gets you home......even if its at " slow " speed....but as a footnote surely a recovery service membership with full recovery would be cheaper ??
V - 149mph

H - 130mph

Safer to have a spare which is 'V' surely?

Or change your 2 V's to H's and use the best V as the spare (if that makes sense)
Edited by: "andynicol" 22nd May
If you have the spec to hand what does it say?

Whats the car?

Theoretically H is 130mph so should be fine. You might find though that a V (150mph) is cheaper because common fitment.
Are you going to be traveling in excess of 130mph? Get whatever is cheapest, or get a skinny which will get you 30 miles so you can replace whichever is blown and stick the skinny back in the boot for next time.
You need to have a look at the manufacturers spec. A spare wheel that does not conform would, in the event of an accident or police inspection for some unknown reason or (especially) MOT under the new rules, cause you problems. Your insurer would have a right to be exceedingly unhappy - to the point of rejecting a claim and you would fail a new style MoT - which requires manufacturers spec to be adhered to.
Or six quid gets you this and keeps your boot free
tallpete3311 m ago

Or six quid gets you this and keeps your boot free

Wow that's amazing! Does it form a new tyre around the rim???
The tyre burst, wasn't a puncture - I believe if a car doesn't have a spare it has this or similar in the boot anyway (normally a much more complicated version with an electric compressor)
mrty1 h, 17 m ago

Are you going to be traveling in excess of 130mph? Get whatever is …Are you going to be traveling in excess of 130mph? Get whatever is cheapest, or get a skinny which will get you 30 miles so you can replace whichever is blown and stick the skinny back in the boot for next time.

What if you travel 29 miles to get the blown one replaced?

Worth keeping for that last mile?
njpugh9037 m ago

Wow that's amazing! Does it form a new tyre around the rim???The tyre …Wow that's amazing! Does it form a new tyre around the rim???The tyre burst, wasn't a puncture - I believe if a car doesn't have a spare it has this or similar in the boot anyway (normally a much more complicated version with an electric compressor)

This wouldn't fix tyre bursts but punctures yes. Not used it myself but the reviews are good and some manufacturers offer this instead of a spare on new cars now so it can't be bad. I'm sure there's plenty of HUKD'ers that have more experience with it than me
On another note, what rim size? Can your footwell in the boot actually hold a rim size to match. Speed rating should be greater than the listed top speed of the vehicle. As an example I'm on 19's but my spare is 17" as the footwell couldn't hold an 19" size. Easy way is to check the extras list on your vehicle and see what size they supply as a spare. Mine came as standard though on my fathers Skoda it was a listed extra, standard was the tyre weld stuff.
You'll also need the wheel, is it one you could get at a breakers?
Depending on the wear on the existing tyres, it may be better to match the one that was replaced and then use it's partner as the spare
Why do you need a full size spare? Why not just get a space saver, will take a lot less room in the boot and always plenty of them floating around on ebay/Gumtree.

Yeah you are limited to 50ish mph but it's enough to get you off the hard shoulder and to a tyre fitter.....

My car has 265x35x18 tyres so I'm never going to fit a full sized spare in the boot so I picked up a 17" space saver with a high profile and it fits in the boot nicely . I paid £35 for the spacesaver from someone local on gumtree. Wheel had never been fitted to a car and had a brand new tyre on it.
Edited by: "Uridium" 22nd May
Are you even allowed to change a wheel on a motorway?. Serious question
Hi all, thanks very much for all your replies and suggestions. Food for thought- a lot more to look into than I previously imagined!!
33842321-tErwK.jpg
njpugh9013 h, 33 m ago

Wow that's amazing! Does it form a new tyre around the rim???The tyre …Wow that's amazing! Does it form a new tyre around the rim???The tyre burst, wasn't a puncture - I believe if a car doesn't have a spare it has this or similar in the boot anyway (normally a much more complicated version with an electric compressor)

I have used this kit:

ebay.co.uk/p/C…t=0

Technically it does not cover side punctures . But practically it does!
I hit the kerb and destroyed one of my tyres. I used this from tuesday to friday till I had the tyre replaced and it didnt leak!

It could have easily stayed longer but I didn't want to risk.

I will put a photo soon
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 23rd May
Why are the tyres you have fitted different ratings?

You need to at least match original manufacturers specification for you car otherwise you run the risk of invalidating your insurance in the event of an accident. I know you're not going to be doing 130/149mph or whatever but that's not the point (they'd argue)
Also worth noting, it is an offence to put a skinny/ emergency tyre on the front turning wheels. If you have a puncture on the front, you have to take a rear wheel off and put it on the front, then put the skinny/emergency tyre on the back. They are NOT safe for steering a car, very high risk of skidding .
ScubaDudes12 h, 1 m ago

Are you even allowed to change a wheel on a motorway?. Serious question

"If you have a flat tyre, stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Only change the tyre if you can do so without putting yourself or others at risk – otherwise call a breakdown service"
ajholmes9334 m ago

"If you have a flat tyre, stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Only change …"If you have a flat tyre, stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Only change the tyre if you can do so without putting yourself or others at risk – otherwise call a breakdown service"

So does that mean you can, if you've got balls of steel?.
cornishscouse8 h, 28 m ago

Also worth noting, it is an offence to put a skinny/ emergency tyre on the …Also worth noting, it is an offence to put a skinny/ emergency tyre on the front turning wheels. If you have a puncture on the front, you have to take a rear wheel off and put it on the front, then put the skinny/emergency tyre on the back. They are NOT safe for steering a car, very high risk of skidding .

I have seen plenty of cars with the space saver at the front
Get yourself to a breakers yard and grab a wheel and tyre from the boot of a similar car to yours. As said above, jut because you have the spare recess in the boot, it doesn’t mean it will take a full size wheel and tyre.
As for the speed rating, unless you do over 100mph - get the cheapest. It’s even less relevant when it’s just a spare, going in the boot for an emergency. Even if it’s rated to a max 30mph, you’ll only be using it for that very rare occasion.
Speed(and load) ratings needs to be as manufacturers specifications or ABOVE.
Also, make SURE you SECURE whatever wheel/tyre combo you end up with..
AND might you need, a jack,wheel brace, winder handle....polystyrene holder...wheel trim puller/centre cap/wheel nut cover puller/remover
IF op says WHAT car they have, someone will say exactly what is out there
cornishscouse23rd May

Also worth noting, it is an offence to put a skinny/ emergency tyre on the …Also worth noting, it is an offence to put a skinny/ emergency tyre on the front turning wheels. If you have a puncture on the front, you have to take a rear wheel off and put it on the front, then put the skinny/emergency tyre on the back. They are NOT safe for steering a car, very high risk of skidding .

No it isn't, You should check cars handbook and it'll suggest safe to use on front or rear. Also depends if your car if front or rear drive. If it's rear wheel drive it's better to put space saver on the front!. Ideally you should get your normal tyre changed/fixed asap.
cornishscouse23rd May

Only if it says "Front use only" or "Rear use only"
Will be expiring the post now, but wanted to thank you all for commenting and offering valuable assistance and information. Very much appreciated
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants