Sparkies help with emergency lighting

Found 8th May 2015
Hi I don't know if anybody can help. I have currently got 3 non maintained fire exit signs and 4 non maintained emergency lights fitted at my business address. However they way they are fed is from the main lighting circuit. Is this correct as they are off whilst the lights are on (charging battery) and on when the lights are turned off. Surely this will ruin the battery as the lights are only on for 2-4 hours a day so they are being drained then charged for 2-4 hours then drained. Wouldn't this ruin the battery. Would it be better to run a dedicated EL circuit from the consumer unit so if the mains trip they come on and are constantly trickle charging. Any help would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
They defo should not be on unless you have a powercut or electrical trip as you suggest...Emergency lighting should be wired to only come on during a powercut,as for the battery&lights they are suffering from needless wear&tear as all wiring in place etc i dont imagine it being expensive to call a spark to remedy your problem

They have not been wired back to the main board and have been wired through your existing lights, hence the reason they lose their supply when you switch the lighting off.

They need to be separated from the lighting radial and wired back to the board.

Ideally you also need a key switch fitted to test them now and again.
kebo_75

They defo should not be on unless you have a powercut or electrical trip … They defo should not be on unless you have a powercut or electrical trip as you suggest...Emergency lighting should be wired to only come on during a powercut,as for the battery&lights they are suffering from needless wear&tear as all wiring in place etc i dont imagine it being expensive to call a spark to remedy your problem

Emergency lighting can be maintained - meaning it can double as a standard light also.
In essence from your description they are fed from the switch wire not the live feed wire as they should be.If they were wired correctly they would only light when the mains failed.
Edited by: "arachnoid" 8th May 2015
Original Poster
So rather than feeding from a lighting circuit(switched) it would be best to either run a new dedicated circuit or run it off the ring main (sockets) circuit.
barrel24

So rather than feeding from a lighting circuit(switched) it would be best … So rather than feeding from a lighting circuit(switched) it would be best to either run a new dedicated circuit or run it off the ring main (sockets) circuit.

It needs its own dedicated circuit which will have a permanent unswitched live supply apart from the test switch.

You cannot take lighting circuits off a socket ring main!
Original Poster
I have just looked in the basement and have found a power bank (battery bank) emergency lighting supply from the old lights. which is still operational would this be a viable option.
Original Poster

Comment

transit

It needs its own dedicated circuit which will have a permanent unswitched … It needs its own dedicated circuit which will have a permanent unswitched live supply apart from the test switch.You cannot take lighting circuits off a socket ring main!

So there is no way to utilise the existing wiring it will need a rewire to conform to regs?
Depends how the switching is organised - if there is a live feed to the lighting units, connected to a switch and then back up for the switched feed, then it would be a case of connecting to the unswitched side instead of the switched - that's the way domestic light circuits are wired, but others may be different.

It may require a dedicated feed with it's own MCB trip to meet regulations.
Original Poster

Comment

matth9999

Depends how the switching is organised - if there is a live feed to the … Depends how the switching is organised - if there is a live feed to the lighting units, connected to a switch and then back up for the switched feed, then it would be a case of connecting to the unswitched side instead of the switched - that's the way domestic light circuits are wired, but others may be different.It may require a dedicated feed with it's own MCB trip to meet regulations.

Basically the circuit is cb - switch - light -emergency light - light -light -emergency light

I think it should be Cb - emergency light - switch -lights

Or

Cb - EL - EL
X) I've already told you the correct solution.

I'm out.
Original Poster

Comment

transit

X) I've already told you the correct solution.I'm out.

Thanks I'm just looking for all solutions. Much appreciated though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants