Spear and jackson hedge trimmer with two batteries £80 Argos (3yr warranty)

Posted 2nd Oct
Hi all, I bought the homesbase soverign battery hedge trimmer that was on offer for £15 earlier in the year but the battery life with only one battery was just too short a run time for the hedges I cut. It also took 4 hours to recharge the single battery on that one. After looking around this seems to be a good deal for a branded hedge trimmer with two batteries, which can be charged within an hour giving you almost constant battery power on the job as you can change the batteries across. Seems very robust and well made and going by reviews they seem reliable. Plenty of stock.

argos.co.uk/pro…607
Community Updates

Groups

17 Comments
I think it's worth waiting a while longer before buying a hedge trimmer, unless you need one right now. In a few weeks' time they should begin to show up on clearance.
Speak and Jackson? Does it talk to you when it trims a hedge?
karlypants02/10/2019 10:49

Built in alexa?
Not that great a deal.
Bought the same model for £49 from Argos in the middle of January last year.
Came with one battery & 3 year warranty as standard.

The two battery combo is a fake 'sweetener'. Effectively a battery for £31. Do you need a second battery at that price, when the whole unit costs just £50?
The charge lasts long enough to do about 30m of hedges, which let's face it, you'll want to have a break after that, in which case the 1 hour Quick Charge, means by the time you've mustered up more enthusiasm to continue, the battery will be ready again.

Might be better to wait until they run a £5 off for £50 spent and get the 1 battery version for £45.
Works well, quick, good balance and fairly lightweight. Laser cut blades cut nicely. Good for the price.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 2nd Oct
karlypants02/10/2019 10:49

Oops now its fixed, autocorrect strikes again!
TopTrump02/10/2019 11:03

Not that great a deal.Bought the same model for £49 from Argos in the …Not that great a deal.Bought the same model for £49 from Argos in the middle of January last year.Came with one battery & 3 year warranty as standard.The two battery combo is a fake 'sweetener'. Effectively a battery for £31. Do you need a second battery at that price, when the whole unit costs just £50?The charge lasts long enough to do about 30m of hedges, which let's face it, you'll want to have a break after that, in which case the 1 hour Quick Charge, means by the time you've mustered up more enthusiasm to continue, the battery will be ready again.Might be better to wait until they run a £5 off for £50 spent and get the 1 battery version for £45.Works well, quick, good balance and fairly lightweight. Laser cut blades cut nicely. Good for the price.

Current difference in price between two battery vs single battery is £20 which for myself was worth it. Different people have different amounts of hedge, takes me three hours from start to finish due to the height of what we have so the second battery is a must have.
barneyonion02/10/2019 11:34

.....Current difference in price between two battery vs single battery is ….....Current difference in price between two battery vs single battery is £20 which for myself was worth it. Different people have different amounts of hedge, takes me three hours from start to finish due to the height of what we have so the second battery is a must have. Current difference in price between two battery vs single battery is £20 which for myself was worth it. Different people have different amounts of hedge, takes me three hours from start to finish due to the height of what we have so the second battery is a must have.

Fair enuff guv!

All they've done is bump up the current price of the standard item in order to make the £80 trimmer + 2 batteries deal look good.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 2nd Oct
This is not a sale price but the regular price why has this not been listed a discussion.
1.5Ah batteries are fine in a drill but they aren't up to the job on a hedgetrimmer. Don't buy battery powered tools individually - buy into a 'system' where you can share and swop batteries. I'd recommend WORX (when on offer of course).

PS the picture shows three batteries and two chargers - really?!!!
Does it work for manscaping too?
Matzi200002/10/2019 13:33

This is not a sale price but the regular price why has this not been …This is not a sale price but the regular price why has this not been listed a discussion.

It got moved hope ur happy lol. It's a deal compared to the Makita and Bosch offerings at twice the price. My definition of a deal is different to what your definition is.
Besford02/10/2019 13:52

1.5Ah batteries are fine in a drill but they aren't up to the job on a …1.5Ah batteries are fine in a drill but they aren't up to the job on a hedgetrimmer. Don't buy battery powered tools individually - buy into a 'system' where you can share and swop batteries. I'd recommend WORX (when on offer of course).PS the picture shows three batteries and two chargers - really?!!!

Any larger and they add weight. Two small batteries always better than one big one for any power tool that you have to hold for extended periods.
barneyonion02/10/2019 14:24

It got moved hope ur happy lol. It's a deal compared to the Makita and …It got moved hope ur happy lol. It's a deal compared to the Makita and Bosch offerings at twice the price. My definition of a deal is different to what your definition is.

I quite a agree with you but the new 'Hot Deal Rules' state that it should be a discussion.
Alot of good things will be missed now they've changed the rules.
See if you can get a second battery from Homebase (or Argos). I find it a really good hedge cutter and with two batteries I have a Challenge long pole cutter it is ideal.
JimboParrot02/10/2019 18:29

See if you can get a second battery from Homebase (or Argos). I find it a …See if you can get a second battery from Homebase (or Argos). I find it a really good hedge cutter and with two batteries I have a Challenge long pole cutter it is ideal.

Tried but couldn't find any info about compatibility of what else fits the soverign, homebase definitely don't sell the battery for the sovereign model any more
JimboParrot02/10/2019 18:29

See if you can get a second battery from Homebase (or Argos). I find it a …See if you can get a second battery from Homebase (or Argos). I find it a really good hedge cutter and with two batteries I have a Challenge long pole cutter it is ideal.

Maybe we should start a thread about which battery models are interchangable. It would be really useful to know.
I contacted Argos helpline/web page s unfortunately the seal went on my car boot and the battery got wet. I ordered a new battery and use it on the hedge cutter when it runs out of charge. Sovereign seem to be the replacement for Challenge.

The £15 hedge cutter was a lot cheaper than buying just the battery.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants