Speaker Wire + Banana Plugs

Posted 23rd JunEdited by:"RollJ"
I purchased some bookshelf speakers that were posted (hotukdeals.com/dea…582) and a mini amp to power them for my PC but I haven't had to buy speaker wire or banana plugs before. Is it worth spending the extra to get some better quality ones as it's only for a £130 setup? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Community Updates
Misc
21 Comments
banana plug?
anewman23/06/2020 18:54

Just get https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LFA7MHM/ for speaker cable.

And not bother with the banana plugs?

Thanks
Mendoza23/06/2020 19:07

banana plug?

Just what I got told I would need by someone I hadn’t heard of them either
RollJ23/06/2020 19:08

And not bother with the banana plugs?Thanks

Was going to recommend amazon.co.uk/dp/…HM/ but for some reason they're twice the price I paid when I bought them. There's some Amazon warehouse ones at a more reasonable price.
how good/refined is your musical ear?

heck, use lamp cord or even mains flex (2.5mm rather than the 1-1.5mm of lighting circuit); MUCH better to use multicore flex rather than single core conductor.

ofc ('oxygen free copper') is 'nice'

unless you are a connersewerage of hi-fi/genteel music you ain't REALLY going to notice a HOOGE difference using 'premium' (expensive) cables/wires...

the compression rate ('ow squeezed down/bits chopped out - really!) various sources of music is a MUCH argued topic.
yep, cds, radio 1 etc DAB are to various degrees 'squeezed' thus 'lose' a bit...

so your download from the interweb of Rammstein thru' tweedy cables to your speakers IS gonna sound different from the live concert u went to... possibly worse (and i LIKE Rammstein!)
Edited by: "gittishguy" 23rd Jun
Those speaker do have the sockets for banana plugs, but in general the outer collar is a screw fixing. The bare wire goes through the hole sideways then the collar is screwed down.

I'm sure there might be some tiny acoustic benefit to using proper banana plugs, but I've seen far more expensive setups using just bare wire so you should be fine.
slimy3123/06/2020 19:13

Those speaker do have the sockets for banana plugs, but in general the …Those speaker do have the sockets for banana plugs, but in general the outer collar is a screw fixing. The bare wire goes through the hole sideways then the collar is screwed down. I'm sure there might be some tiny acoustic benefit to using proper banana plugs, but I've seen far more expensive setups using just bare wire so you should be fine.

gotta agree; heck SOME 'nana plugs just duplicate the sharp-edged hole and screw-it-tite as the plug!!

but NIIICE if PROPERLY 'soldered' on, reduces the tweeter death when the bloody cat swings from the wires!

"go play with the mains..." ohhh! ooops!
slimy3123/06/2020 19:13

Those speaker do have the sockets for banana plugs, but in general the …Those speaker do have the sockets for banana plugs, but in general the outer collar is a screw fixing. The bare wire goes through the hole sideways then the collar is screwed down. I'm sure there might be some tiny acoustic benefit to using proper banana plugs, but I've seen far more expensive setups using just bare wire so you should be fine.

Can make life a bit easier if you plug and unplug speakers often though.
I think that’s answered all my questions. I have a few days before delivery so will have a shop around for some cable. Thanks all
gittishguy23/06/2020 19:13

how good/refined is your musical ear?heck, use lamp cord or even mains …how good/refined is your musical ear?heck, use lamp cord or even mains flex (2.5mm rather than the 1-1.5mm of lighting circuit); MUCH better to use multicore flex rather than single core conductor.ofc ('oxygen free copper') is 'nice'unless you are a connersewerage of hi-fi/genteel music you ain't REALLY going to notice a HOOGE difference using 'premium' (expensive) cables/wires...the compression rate ('ow squeezed down/bits chopped out - really!) various sources of music is a MUCH argued topic.yep, cds, radio 1 etc DAB are to various degrees 'squeezed' thus 'lose' a bit...so your download from the interweb of Rammstein thru' tweedy cables to your speakers IS gonna sound different from the live concert u went to... possibly worse (and i LIKE Rammstein!)

Bargain futureshop.co.uk/nor…air
anewman23/06/2020 19:20

Bargain https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordost-valhalla-2-speaker-cable-pair

yeah, but not made by Apple...

where do i plug these into my buds??

oh! THERE!!!

THAT'll clean the wax out matron
lockdown hasn't been kind to you 'anewman' has it?...
gittishguy23/06/2020 19:31

lockdown hasn't been kind to you 'anewman' has it?...

Was just trying to highlight the OFC cable I linked to was reasonable.
I used this stuff. I'm no audiophile, but a mate who is recommended it. You could spend a fortune on cable, but I get a feeling it's a big marketing thing.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

If you're fixing cables, you're probably better off future proofing as best as possible. This stuff is cheap & won't need changed if your equipment grows.
Just use twin core cable from Screwfix, you will NOT hear any difference buying expensive speaker cable.

Banana plugs are useful if you disconnect the speakers frequently, again you will NOT hear any difference using banana plugs
anewman23/06/2020 19:33

Was just trying to highlight the OFC cable I linked to was reasonable.

you're damaged aren't you?

don't they make a carbon 'un as well??
Uridium23/06/2020 19:53

Just use twin core cable from Screwfix, you will NOT hear any difference …Just use twin core cable from Screwfix, you will NOT hear any difference buying expensive speaker cable.Banana plugs are useful if you disconnect the speakers frequently, again you will NOT hear any difference using banana plugs

but, but, BUT... I can 'hear' that black marble fall in Wintergatans video thru' my supercalifrajilistick 2.0 wires...
gittishguy23/06/2020 19:57

you're damaged aren't you?don't they make a carbon 'un as well??

What's so bad about OFC cable that's cheaper per meter than some places would charge for standard mains cable?!
anewman23/06/2020 20:22

What's so bad about OFC cable that's cheaper per meter than some places …What's so bad about OFC cable that's cheaper per meter than some places would charge for standard mains cable?!

Nothing is wrong with it as long as it's not the weedy stuff with half a dozen strands....... but you can also get 50m of 2x 2.5mm mains flex for under £20
Another vote here for 2.5mm mains cable - usually well specified and they make millions of miles of it every year so supply means that is as cheap as chips.
Post a comment
@
    Text