Groups
    EXPIRED

speakers for twin amp hi-fi

Any1 know where I can get speakers that I can use with my technics hd-501. It has 2 amps, 1 for bass + the other for treble - so the speakers need to have seperate connections for the bass and the tweeters.

3 Comments

Any speakers which are 'bi-wireable' will fit this bill - that is most hi-fi speakers (where the speakers are sold seperately). Try Richer Sounds or have a look in your local hi-fi shop for any bargains. What sort of budget do you have?

A good starting point might be Eltax Monitor 3s for £70 if you want standmount speakers or £80 for Kef Cresta 3s if you want floorstanders (both Richer Sounds prices). Worth trying to get to a store to listen to them before you purchase mind.

Original Poster

jah128

Any speakers which are 'bi-wireable' will fit this bill - that is most … Any speakers which are 'bi-wireable' will fit this bill - that is most hi-fi speakers (where the speakers are sold seperately). Try Richer Sounds or have a look in your local hi-fi shop for any bargains. What sort of budget do you have?A good starting point might be Eltax Monitor 3s for £70 if you want standmount speakers or £80 for Kef Cresta 3s if you want floorstanders (both Richer Sounds prices). Worth trying to get to a store to listen to them before you purchase mind.

Thanks for that, now I know what to look for - I'd never heard of 'bi-wireable'.

No probs. Biwirable speakers have split crossovers (a seperate low-pass filter for the bass and high-pass filter for the treble). Often the are fed from a single amplifier but using two seperate cable runs. The are easy to identify as the will have 2 pairs of binding posts on the back, usually labelled LF and HF (invariably high at the top and low at the bottom). What you are actually doing is 'bi-amping' which is where the treble and bass are fed from seperate amps.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      3. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick66

See more discussions