Speakers/Hifi set up help

Posted 14th Jan
Hey guys, I've got some speakers and stereo equipment left by my dad to me and I'm unsure how to set it up and which bits would be best compatible with one another... I'll list what I have below:
Tannoy Mercury mC B/Eye - Centre speaker?
Denon AVR-1612 - Amp?
Boston soundware x4 - satellite speakers?
Tannoy revolution r1 x2 - side speakers?
Eltax HT-2 Biploar x2 - side speakers?
Monitor audio bronze BRW-10 - sub?
TEAC CR-H250 - receiver?
I've set it up once quite some time again with the amp, satellite speakers and Centre speaker and that was it. I don't really know much about speakers so please use easy to understand terms I also have some 2 core cable to connect them but they aren't really long enough to set up a 7.1 system so I also need to buy a roll of cable i guess? I'd also like to get some brackets to hang the satellite speakers so what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Jack
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

13 Comments
The Revolution R1 will be fronts. You'll need stands for them, possibly your sides as well with them being a funny shape. Satelites go in the ceiling. Get a reel of cable from Amazon, 10m will set you back about a tenner, think I got QED stuff last time. The TEAC looks like an all in one music player, and the AVR is only 5.1, so not sure how it was set up. Maybe the satelites were wired directly to the TEAC? The Tannoy fronts will match the centre so will be a better fit for home cinema, and the sides are bi-polar, also good for a 5.1 setup.

I'd probably ditch the Denon and TEAC then get a receiver that'll let you do a 5.1.4 setup using all the speakers in one system. They are quite pricey though, think you're looking at a Denon 3600 or above for that.
Danze198414/01/2020 19:04

The Revolution R1 will be fronts. You'll need stands for them, possibly …The Revolution R1 will be fronts. You'll need stands for them, possibly your sides as well with them being a funny shape. Satelites go in the ceiling. Get a reel of cable from Amazon, 10m will set you back about a tenner, think I got QED stuff last time. The TEAC looks like an all in one music player, and the AVR is only 5.1, so not sure how it was set up. Maybe the satelites were wired directly to the TEAC? The Tannoy fronts will match the centre so will be a better fit for home cinema, and the sides are bi-polar, also good for a 5.1 setup.I'd probably ditch the Denon and TEAC then get a receiver that'll let you do a 5.1.4 setup using all the speakers in one system. They are quite pricey though, think you're looking at a Denon 3600 or above for that.

Thanks for the info I don't really wanna be spending much more tbh so don't think I'll be getting a new amp any time soon... I don't mind selling/not using all the speakers and I'm not a massive audio geek... I'll just be using it for watching movies, playing games and occasionally playing music I've got some qed cable now yeah, just think I'll need some more, around 30m or so
Looks like you’ve got two systems. An all in one music centre & a home cinema amp. For home cinema you could use the all tannoys for your front speakers & the two eltacs as the rears. Connect to the Denon, add your subwoofer & your ready to go.

Or if space is limited you could buy another Boston satellite from eBay etc & just use them as your fronts, centre & rears with the Denon & sub. You could then use the TEAC system with the pair of Tannoys in another room for music or sell the unwanted gear. Don’t let the tiny size of the Boston’s put you off - when paired with a subwoofer they sound pretty good with movies. There’s a review of them here:

whathifi.com/bos…iew
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 14th Jan
captainbeaky14/01/2020 19:55

Looks like you’ve got two systems. An all in one music centre & a home c …Looks like you’ve got two systems. An all in one music centre & a home cinema amp. For home cinema you could use the all tannoys for your front speakers & the two eltacs as the rears. Connect to the Denon, add your subwoofer & your ready to go.Or if space is limited you could buy another Boston satellite from eBay etc & just use them as your fronts, centre & rears with the Denon & sub. You could then use the TEAC system with the pair of Tannoys in another room for music or sell the unwanted gear.

Sounds like a good idea :/ is that sub any good? It's humongous so not sure where I'll even fit it.. Any suggestions for a replacement? Thanks for the reply!
Jack_Flanagan14/01/2020 20:02

Sounds like a good idea :/ is that sub any good? It's humongous so not …Sounds like a good idea :/ is that sub any good? It's humongous so not sure where I'll even fit it.. Any suggestions for a replacement? Thanks for the reply!

It’s a high quality item. Sells for over £200 used on eBay. If it’s too big you could always sell it & get something smaller such as a compact Cambridge or Wharfedale model from RicherSounds or a BK Gemini. If you were just going to use the Bostons you can get the matching sub for under £100 used.

But as you’ve got the Monitor Audio- try it.
captainbeaky14/01/2020 20:12

It’s a high quality item. Sells for over £200 used on eBay. If it’s too big …It’s a high quality item. Sells for over £200 used on eBay. If it’s too big you could always sell it & get something smaller such as a compact Cambridge model from RicherSounds or a BK Gemini. If you were just going to use the Bostons you can get the matching sub for under £100 used. But as you’ve got the Monitor Audio- try it.

What's the difference between the bostons and the Tannoy and eltax ones then? I'm assuming the Tannoy are better quality? Just think they bostons look nicer and take up less room I guess... Gonna attempt to connect up those two tannoys and eltax now then and I'll see how I get on. I remember using the Denon amp before and the menus were difficult to operate so I connected a monitor?
Jack_Flanagan14/01/2020 20:19

What's the difference between the bostons and the Tannoy and eltax ones …What's the difference between the bostons and the Tannoy and eltax ones then? I'm assuming the Tannoy are better quality? Just think they bostons look nicer and take up less room I guess... Gonna attempt to connect up those two tannoys and eltax now then and I'll see how I get on. I remember using the Denon amp before and the menus were difficult to operate so I connected a monitor?

You answered the question yourself but what’s important is what sounds best to you in your room. You can download the manual/ setup guide for the Denon here:

denon.co.uk/uk/…612
captainbeaky14/01/2020 20:26

You answered the question yourself but what’s important is what sounds b …You answered the question yourself but what’s important is what sounds best to you in your room. You can download the manual/ setup guide for the Denon here:https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avr1612

Okay I've got them all wired up, without sound stupid (if possible) what's the best/easiest way to play some music through them and test it? I've got a TV set up in my living room with Spotify on and a hauwai p30 Pro phone. I've also got a Denon odyssey little mic thing which I can use to set up the sound later on I believe
Jack_Flanagan14/01/2020 20:31

Okay I've got them all wired up, without sound stupid (if possible) what's …Okay I've got them all wired up, without sound stupid (if possible) what's the best/easiest way to play some music through them and test it? I've got a TV set up in my living room with Spotify on and a hauwai p30 Pro phone. I've also got a Denon odyssey little mic thing which I can use to set up the sound later on I believe

Best to read the Denon manual but your tv should have a hdmi arc socket which both sends & receives sound/ pictures. Connect it to the hdmi out socket on the amp. You might then have to look at the tv menus to make sure it’s sending sound to the amp.
captainbeaky14/01/2020 20:40

Best to read the Denon manual but your tv should have a hdmi arc socket …Best to read the Denon manual but your tv should have a hdmi arc socket which connects to the hdmi out socket on the amp. You might then have to look at the tv menus to make sure it’s sending sound to the amp.

Ah okay then I'll give that a go.. Ive just tried an audio optical cable but that doesn't seem to be working and I'm not sure why, sound only comes out of the TV and can't seem to change the output on the TV settings will try a different cable then, maybe hdmi
Jack_Flanagan14/01/2020 20:49

Ah okay then I'll give that a go.. Ive just tried an audio optical cable …Ah okay then I'll give that a go.. Ive just tried an audio optical cable but that doesn't seem to be working and I'm not sure why, sound only comes out of the TV and can't seem to change the output on the TV settings will try a different cable then, maybe hdmi

Optical should work fine but remember to select that input on the amplifier.
captainbeaky14/01/2020 20:53

Optical should work fine but remember to select that input on the …Optical should work fine but remember to select that input on the amplifier.

Wouldn't that just be 'TV'? I noticed when I selected TV that it said digital however so I'm currently trying to connect it via hdmi to the TV input to try and use my TV as a monitor to go through the menus, god this is doing my head in
Jack_Flanagan14/01/2020 20:57

Wouldn't that just be 'TV'? I noticed when I selected TV that it said …Wouldn't that just be 'TV'? I noticed when I selected TV that it said digital however so I'm currently trying to connect it via hdmi to the TV input to try and use my TV as a monitor to go through the menus, god this is doing my head in

Probably a good idea to have a cup of tea, coffee or a beer & read the Denon setup guide from the link above.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions