Speccing a gaming pc

Found 22nd Sep 2017
I am speccing a new pc and wanted some eyes to see if I can do better for the price,

CPU: Intel Core i3 7100
GPU: 4GB Sapphire Radeon RX 550
Memory: 2 x 4GB Corsair Value Select 2133
Heatsink: Akasa AK-CC7122BP01

I already have a case, hard drives and a power supply (500w) so I think the above is all I need.

This comes in at £332 + delivery at Scan.co,uk, is that a good spec for the price,
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Why not go for a AMD Ryzen? Quick price check @ amazon uk

Ryzen 3 1200 (comes with descent cooler) + Gigabyte RX560 + Corsair DDR4 2666 (4x2) comes around £278

If you shop around I’m pretty sure you can buy those for even less.
if you only want gaming, go for the pentium G4560 - should free up enough for you to get an RX560 and generally gives better gaming performance than Ryzen 3

could also get a 1050ti

G4560 combo

awd-it.co.uk/int…BwE

GTX1050TI

scan.co.uk/pro…BwE
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 22nd Sep 2017
Original Poster
I have already bought the mobo above as found it on Novatech pre-owned for £19 so need a 6th gen / Skylake cpu which would put me in the realsm of the Pentium G4400.

KNowing very little about CPU's, is that a good alternative to the i3 (it's a third of the price) mainly used for gaming and a little photo editing (nothing too strenuous).
imnotlikeyou6 m ago

I have already bought the mobo above as found it on Novatech pre-owned for …I have already bought the mobo above as found it on Novatech pre-owned for £19 so need a 6th gen / Skylake cpu which would put me in the realsm of the Pentium G4400.KNowing very little about CPU's, is that a good alternative to the i3 (it's a third of the price) mainly used for gaming and a little photo editing (nothing too strenuous).

the G4560 is the same gen as the i3-7100 so you should be able to swap straight to it, assuming your motherboard has had the bios update for compatibility with 7th gen chips

for purely gaming it's generally just as capable - it'll also be within 5% or so for everything else. both are dual core hyperthreaded chips on the same architecture, the only thing you lose is a little bit of frequency as the i3 is clocked slightly higher
Original Poster
adamspencer9511 m ago

the G4560 is the same gen as the i3-7100 so you should be able to swap …the G4560 is the same gen as the i3-7100 so you should be able to swap straight to it, assuming your motherboard has had the bios update for compatibility with 7th gen chipsfor purely gaming it's generally just as capable - it'll also be within 5% or so for everything else. both are dual core hyperthreaded chips on the same architecture, the only thing you lose is a little bit of frequency as the i3 is clocked slightly higher

I wouldn't have a clue, the mobo is scan.co.uk/pro…d-d

The 4400 should drop right in and work as I need for less than £50 which is ideal, the only difference I can see between the pentium and the i3 is the i3 has hyperthreading which won't matter in gaming?
imnotlikeyou12 m ago

I wouldn't have a clue, the mobo is …I wouldn't have a clue, the mobo is https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-h110m-s2h-intel-h110-s-1151-ddr4-sata3-6gbps-gigabit-lan-usb-30-micro-atx-vga-hdmi-and-dThe 4400 should drop right in and work as I need for less than £50 which is ideal, the only difference I can see between the pentium and the i3 is the i3 has hyperthreading which won't matter in gaming?

hyperthreading can help in gaming, and some games demand 4 threads so a dual core with no hyperthreading might not even work without some hacking. its not the same as 4 true cores, no, but it can sometimes help

if you were considering the i3 7100, the G4560 is no different regarding compatibility. like i said, as long as the mobo has the newer bios then it should drop in and go.

can you borrow/buy any 6th gen skylake CPU which you can use to update the bios? it might already be updated if it was repaired/reconditioned
Original Poster
adamspencer954 h, 15 m ago

hyperthreading can help in gaming, and some games demand 4 threads so a …hyperthreading can help in gaming, and some games demand 4 threads so a dual core with no hyperthreading might not even work without some hacking. its not the same as 4 true cores, no, but it can sometimes helpif you were considering the i3 7100, the G4560 is no different regarding compatibility. like i said, as long as the mobo has the newer bios then it should drop in and go. can you borrow/buy any 6th gen skylake CPU which you can use to update the bios? it might already be updated if it was repaired/reconditioned

According to gigabyte.com/Mot…-10 the mobo will work with both 6th and 7th gen cpu's so the 4650 should work, the difference between the 4400 and the 4650 is huge but only £10 price difference so will get it, thanks for your help
The 4GB RX 550 is another sub-optimal choice. 2GB extra memory isn't worth £25 on a card that's only £70 to begin with. The upgrade to the RX 560 is also worth considering as that's 40-50% faster.

That heatsink is a waste of time, it'll be no better and possibly worse than the one that comes with the CPU.

I would also spend the few pounds extra for faster memory, it'll improve frame rates slightly and you're more likely to be able to re-use it in future.
Original Poster
As I have saved money on the CPU and the mobo I can spend a bit more on the memory and the graphics, the 4GB 560 retails about £125, is that a decent card for under £150?

I was looking the Hyperfury X memory last night, it's about £8 dearer but looks better, I am hoping to spend less than £250 on GC and memory, looking at 8GB memory and a 4GB GC but I can upgrade them later if needed.
imnotlikeyou28 m ago

As I have saved money on the CPU and the mobo I can spend a bit more on …As I have saved money on the CPU and the mobo I can spend a bit more on the memory and the graphics, the 4GB 560 retails about £125, is that a decent card for under £150?I was looking the Hyperfury X memory last night, it's about £8 dearer but looks better, I am hoping to spend less than £250 on GC and memory, looking at 8GB memory and a 4GB GC but I can upgrade them later if needed.

the RX560 isn't bad but the 1050Ti i linked for ~£135 would perform a bit better in most games other than ones which favour AMD cards

you defo want 8GB so if its 4GB fast memory vs 8GB slower memory, definately go 8GB. going from 2133 to 2400mhz for example will yield minimal (if any) performance. the G4560 isnt too fussy with requiring faster memory unlike the Ryzen chips.
Original Poster
definitely going for 8GB that;s the minimum I wanted to spec, I will look at the 1050TI as the difference of £10 or so is near or there, I have always had AMD cards so was my natural choice to look at the RX models.
4GB RX 560s start at about £110, not £125. Scan have one for £108.98 for example.

nVidia's low end cards are usually rather unattractive since although they can keep up in performance they lack variable refresh rate support resulting in less smooth results.

Given the huge demand for the RX 570 though, the GTX 1050ti does currently fall into a performance and price gap in the AMD range. There's not a lot of £160 RX 70 cards around any more.

The extra 25-30% performance over the RX 560 may be worth it, particularly if you don't currently have a variable refresh rate screen and aren't looking to buy a new one for a couple of years.
Original Poster
My screens are about 6 years old so more than likely don't have variable refresh, I can pick up an OC 1050ti on Amazon for £140 so gonna go with that, last thing is the memory, been looking at the HyperX stuff.
imnotlikeyou29 m ago

My screens are about 6 years old so more than likely don't have variable …My screens are about 6 years old so more than likely don't have variable refresh, I can pick up an OC 1050ti on Amazon for £140 so gonna go with that, last thing is the memory, been looking at the HyperX stuff.

not much to go wrong with RAM - pick up whatever you can find cheapest for the desired speed that is compatible with your mobo from any reputable manufacturer (Corsair, HyperX, Crucial, G-Skill, Adata to name a few)
Original Poster
Will do my research on prices then, thanks for your help,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants