Special delivery not covering mobile phone?

Found 15th Oct 2012
Hi
Ive just gone to the post office to send a mobile phone by RMSD. They asked the value and item and when i told them it was a mobile they said they can send it but mobile phones are no longer covered so if its lost or damaged they wont pay out!

I cant take that risk but need to send the phone to the buyer.

Does anyone know why this is the case now as ive sent mobiles before covered?
And also how can i send this mobile so it is covered?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
33 Comments
i had the same problem when i was sending a phone to apple with a prepaid apple envelope,

Courier will be your only option, although check with royal mail as they might have a "insurance" option that can be taken out?
ed1980

i had the same problem when i was sending a phone to apple with a prepaid … i had the same problem when i was sending a phone to apple with a prepaid apple envelope,Courier will be your only option, although check with royal mail as they might have a "insurance" option that can be taken out?

I asked them if there was any other way and they said no. Do you know why? seems strange as people send phones in the post all the time. What a pain. Thanks for the reply
lincolnsmommy

I asked them if there was any other way and they said no. Do you know … I asked them if there was any other way and they said no. Do you know why? seems strange as people send phones in the post all the time. What a pain. Thanks for the reply

Id imagine its the "cost" of them, its very easy to say "you broke my £500 smartphone" and them claim off the insurance.
Probably because some people lie to make easy money.
Royal Mail's terms and conditions don't mention mobile phones at all
royalmail.com/sit…pdf
Also, when it comes to potential for fraud, I would have thought the fact you can send cash through Special Delivery would be much more appealing than mobiles. How can you get a valuation for cash?
I dont get it. How am i suppose to send it so its safe and doesnt cost the earth. I had never heard of it before
lincolnsmommy

I dont get it. How am i suppose to send it so its safe and doesnt cost … I dont get it. How am i suppose to send it so its safe and doesnt cost the earth. I had never heard of it before

send it by courier, just make sure you tell them its a phone and how much you value it at (bhow much a replacment will be)
boohai

Royal Mail's terms and conditions don't mention mobile phones at … Royal Mail's terms and conditions don't mention mobile phones at allhttp://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RM_SpecialDelivery_SpecificTerms_Jul12_1.pdf

Yes this is not mentioned at all in the terms and conditions, surely it must be there somewhere?
Many years ago when I worked for RM as a collection driver, RMSD were sacred, you lost it then it cost you your job without fail. They are tracked at all stages and are kept separate from the rest of the mail. I have sent phones via RMSD in the past but for them now not to be covered is lame. The only thing I can think of is they might go through some kind of xray machine that might interfere with the electronics. Does this new policy cover tablets I wonder?

RM better start getting their **** together as it was once a world famous brand that others envied, now its a waste of time!
Edited by moderator: "edited swearing" 4th Mar 2013

Totally agree. They are overpriced and a rubbish service and now there refusing to send certain items!! I received a card last year that has been cut open and the money taken but they still posted it, very nice of them.
Complete waste of time and now my buyer is suffering as i havent been able to send the phone. Its so frustrating!

Graham1979

Many years ago when I worked for RM as a collection driver, RMSD were … Many years ago when I worked for RM as a collection driver, RMSD were sacred, you lost it then it cost you your job without fail. They are tracked at all stages and are kept separate from the rest of the mail. I have sent phones via RMSD in the past but for them now not to be covered is lame. The only thing I can think of is they might go through some kind of xray machine that might interfere with the electronics. Does this new policy cover tablets I wonder?RM better start getting their sh1t together as it was once a world famous brand that others envied, now its a waste of time!

I'm glad you posted this because my daughter is sending a phone today, I wonder how she'll send it now?
LoveHearts

I'm glad you posted this because my daughter is sending a phone today, I … I'm glad you posted this because my daughter is sending a phone today, I wonder how she'll send it now?

Looks like myhermes do it and its a simular price to royal mail so i would tell her to check there They cover up to £250
lincolnsmommy

Looks like myhermes do it and its a simular price to royal mail so i … Looks like myhermes do it and its a simular price to royal mail so i would tell her to check there They cover up to £250

Use hermes at your own risk, i have seen how they treat parcels oO
THRILLER-DEEJAY

Use hermes at your own risk, i have seen how they treat parcels oO

No good anyway just checked and they dont pay out compensation for mobiles either I dont know what to do
citylink...
Btw i have looked into what you have said and no where does it say mobiles are excluded, the only terms on mobiles i can see are for international delivery's where they will only compensate up-to a max of £50 for mobiles. ( I'm a postman).
THRILLER-DEEJAY

Btw i have looked into what you have said and no where does it say … Btw i have looked into what you have said and no where does it say mobiles are excluded, the only terms on mobiles i can see are for international delivery's where they will only compensate up-to a max of £50 for mobiles. ( I'm a postman).

do you mean myhermes or RM?

if myhermes its here
myhermes.co.uk/wps…ms/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzQ0tjS3MLYwMzfWj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOLdjQ1CHZ0MHQ0sTLydDDxdQgOcTd0DjEx8DPQjgQrMcSsw1Q_RjzAwiQ_OqizwDgku8fZJNg_Mqiwv8M42DqsyDgsNcwx0jApPdCsoV1TUD9ePxG9YbpR7WaWjoiIA5wcE-w!!/?content=Excluded%20Items#Z7_G30UAB1A084KB0IDUPC5GP24L5
Edited by: "lincolnsmommy" 15th Oct 2012
first i have heard of this i know mobile phones aren't covered for posting abroad but special delivery covers them in the uk as far as im aware they always ask the value but never what the package contains
lincolnsmommy

do you mean myhermes or RM?if myhermes its … do you mean myhermes or RM?if myhermes its herehttps://www.myhermes.co.uk/wps/myportal/PN_CTR/Home/excluded-items/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzQ0tjS3MLYwMzfWj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOLdjQ1CHZ0MHQ0sTLydDDxdQgOcTd0DjEx8DPQjgQrMcSsw1Q_RjzAwiQ_OqizwDgku8fZJNg_Mqiwv8M42DqsyDgsNcwx0jApPdCsoV1TUD9ePxG9YbpR7WaWjoiIA5wcE-w!!/?content=Excluded%20Items#Z7_G30UAB1A084KB0IDUPC5GP24L5

Royal mail. I have looked at the special delivery terms and i can't see it anywhere. I deliver mobiles via special all the time, only a few weeks back when i delivered two iphone5's to the same address.
Then why would me and the member above be told the same? Im always asked the value and what the item is. Ive just rang another local post office and they have confirmed that mobiles can be sent by special delivery but if lost or damaged they will not pay out.
I have never had this problem before and i they always ask what the item is and know its been a mobile. Its ridiculous
MarzBarz

citylink...

It says on there site they dont do one off parcels you have to send at least 5? Any others you know of
lincolnsmommy

It says on there site they dont do one off parcels you have to send at … It says on there site they dont do one off parcels you have to send at least 5? Any others you know of

through parcel2go.com or alike.
dcx_badass

Don't CPW post by RM SD for phones.

What does CPW mean? Cant post by RM as not covered
CPW is probably car phone warehouse
sgillow

CPW is probably car phone warehouse

Oh right ok. Well CPW are a company so prob wouldnt just claim for the sake of it? no idea. Going to try parcel monkey although reviews are not great but the product is totally covered them.

Cant believe sending a phone would be so much hassel. Never again.
Have you contacted RM to verify what the PO person is telling you, perhaps they are wrong. In my experience it wouldn't be the first time the PO person hadn't a clue what they were talking about.
When you use Special Delivery™ Next Day you can claim compensation up to £500 or the value of the item, whichever is the lower. If the item is more valuable you can buy additional compensation cover up to £2,500.

taken from

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/business-delivery-options-uk/special-delivery-next-day/details

i know companies send out mobiles, and tablets via special delivery so i would imagine it is covered, maybe a miss understanding somewhere
When did Special Delivery stop covering mobiles? I've sent multiple phones via RMSD in the last few months, they never ask whats in the package though, only the value of the contents. Would this of meant if one of my phones got lost/damage in transit they wouldn't have covered it, despite the post office not asking me whats in the package?
sent a phone sd today, asked about cover and was told no problem im covered up to £500
I read few things on delivery and cover on sending mobile phones today and it just seems RM don't cover mobile phones when being sent abroad with RM International Signed For and Airsure, no mention of not covering phones sent with SD.

consumerfocus.org.uk/get…ion
sent a diff way now. not taking the risk when told its not covered. Im always asked whats in the parcel. I cant see where it says on the website but they post office warned me as its a mobile its not covered and i had to agree with that so i didnt. If youve managed to send phones with it thats great but i wont take the risk now ive been told.
Will send by courier from now on anyway
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants