Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Speed drop with mobile broadband on ThreeUK (using Huawei B525 4G router)

Posted 5th Feb
Hi all. I've had the above setup for over a year now and have enjoyed relatively great upload and download speeds consistently. Whenever I'd used Speedtest.net it would automatically detect my nearest server as being either Liverpool/Shrewsbury/Manchester or Telford (I live in Wrexham). After noticing the speed drop today, and running a Speedtest, it's reporting that London servers are my georgraphical nearest.

I've tried restoring the defaults on my router (something that previously would have worked for ironing out any speed hiccups), but without joy this time.

I have apps (LTEInspecteur, HManager, huaCtrl) that allow me to specify which bands my router should use (always been great on Band3 (1800Mhz), or an aggregate of Band 3 & 20 (800Mhz).

Any idea what could be causing this, and what I might do to rectify the problem?

I've attached my speedtest results from November, and from more recently.

Thanks in advance all!

3401623-i4vfU.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Have you checked with 3? They might be upgrading masts in your local area or else make a complaint as you are not receiving service you pay for hence they breach their contarct...
I think the server is the nearest available for accepting test connections.

Your speed thing could be a mast being down, congestion, etc - there is no guarantee that speed will always be similar, esecially over longer periods of time.
alg05/02/2020 16:16

I think the server is the nearest available for accepting test …I think the server is the nearest available for accepting test connections.Your speed thing could be a mast being down, congestion, etc - there is no guarantee that speed will always be similar, esecially over longer periods of time.

But, I can manually select any other server location (including those much much nearer me, i.e. 250 miles nearer).

I've messaged Three, but I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks for your resonse
GapsOfTheGod05/02/2020 16:25

But, I can manually select any other server location (including those much …But, I can manually select any other server location (including those much much nearer me, i.e. 250 miles nearer).I've messaged Three, but I'm waiting for a reply.Thanks for your resonse

But it may be based on where 3's infrastructure joins the main backbone - for example, using my home ISP and location (for example Amazon home page when not logged in) sometimes shows my location as Dundee, Perth, or London. I live 15 miles or so north of Dundee. So the location may change on the basis of the routing in the network.
Edited by: "alg" 5th Feb
I wouldnt rely on Speedtest for the most accurate results.
MrSprkle05/02/2020 17:14

No, but it gives a good indication of performance over time.
MrSprkle05/02/2020 17:14

Who would you rely on?
Craig201805/02/2020 19:54

Who would you rely on?

No one do a torrent test get real time speed
I didn't know you can manually select them. Where are you selecting it from? London is pants speed from three where I live so that will be the problem if I knew you can change it I'd be wanting to give it a go. Maybe one of towers or whatever you call it is down best to check up on the Liverpool or whatever it used before.
MR112305/02/2020 21:11

I didn't know you can manually select them. Where are you selecting it …I didn't know you can manually select them. Where are you selecting it from? London is pants speed from three where I live so that will be the problem if I knew you can change it I'd be wanting to give it a go. Maybe one of towers or whatever you call it is down best to check up on the Liverpool or whatever it used before.

39844881-zVJ4h.jpg
I'm on the same setup as you. It looks like the modem is running on 3G rather than 4G.

I would recommend leaving the modem band setting to auto.

Do a full reboot and let things stabilise for a few minutes then do a speed test. Are you using an external omni antenna? I have one and without it the modem keeps switching between 3G and 4G depending on signal availability. With it, 4G is rock solid but the speed can vary between 60Mbps to 100Mbps dependant on weather and network traffic.
ChrisKaru06/02/2020 06:57

I'm on the same setup as you. It looks like the modem is running on 3G …I'm on the same setup as you. It looks like the modem is running on 3G rather than 4G. I would recommend leaving the modem band setting to auto. Do a full reboot and let things stabilise for a few minutes then do a speed test. Are you using an external omni antenna? I have one and without it the modem keeps switching between 3G and 4G depending on signal availability. With it, 4G is rock solid but the speed can vary between 60Mbps to 100Mbps dependant on weather and network traffic.

Thanks ChrisKaru, I've set it use 4g only. It's been set like that for 12 months without issue.

39846405-dZYR4.jpg
Hey if you manage to get it fixed please let me know as I want to replace my ISP with this. Thanks
Yep, everything appears to be back to normal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants