Groups

speed tests

hiya, not sure if this is in the right place... feel free to move it.
    i wanted to know what speed tests people used that were based in the uk? and were roughly accurate?
    thanks
    jodie

16 Comments

speedtest.net/

A choice of different servers and seems quite accurate.

Original Poster

thanks, i saw that one earlier.. now heres the thing
    i just did that, using the london server ( since i live there lol), and got the following results:
    download:1970 kb/sec
    upload: 181 kb/sec
    latency: 14m/s

now how does that equate when virgin media keep insisting i am on the max 10mb package?

jodie114

now how does that equate when virgin media keep insisting i am on the max … now how does that equate when virgin media keep insisting i am on the max 10mb package?

Thats the thing, You are on 10mb max, It doesn't mean you'll actually get that speed, All depends how far away you are from the exchange.

Although you should be getting at least 4-5mb, You'll be unlikely to have the full 10mb.

What modem/router are you using?

Original Poster

got stuck with what they call a ntl 250... we are just in the process of transferring everything from sky after bad service so getting a bit paranoid this is going to be no better...

Original Poster

sorry, cable modem, although looking to connect a netgear wireless router as well for the laptop... will that make the speeds even worse?

jodie114

sorry, cable modem, although looking to connect a netgear wireless router … sorry, cable modem, although looking to connect a netgear wireless router as well for the laptop... will that make the speeds even worse?

Not necessarily, thats what I thought with my lappy, but its more or less the same

Apparently that router doesn't support 10mb?*

Just reading through a couple of different forums, Seems quite a few people are having problems with NTL modems.

*i don't know if this is actually correct, Just what i've read.

Iom-RF

Apparently that router doesn't support 10mb?*Just reading through a … Apparently that router doesn't support 10mb?*Just reading through a couple of different forums, Seems quite a few people are having problems with NTL modems.*i don't know if this is actually correct, Just what i've read.

That does seem a bit funny, the OP is d/l at less than 2k in London, which I would expect to have the fastest service? I have relatives in London, last time I went down there, about 2 years ago, they were getting 4meg

Maybe it is a router thing? Have you tried a different speedtest to see if its similar?

Iom-RF

Thats the thing, You are on 10mb max, It doesn't mean you'll actually get … Thats the thing, You are on 10mb max, It doesn't mean you'll actually get that speed, All depends how far away you are from the exchange.Although you should be getting at least 4-5mb, You'll be unlikely to have the full 10mb.What modem/router are you using?

Makes no difference on Cable how far you are from the exchange, Broadband through the phoneline ADSL is affected by distance from the exchange amongst other things.

Original Poster

i didn't think it mattered how far we were from the exchange, thats one of the reasons i am moving from sky bb, they kept using that as an excuse!
    so... the modem is not capable.. could you let me know where you saw that discussed? i can see a rather snotty email coming on if thats the case!

Distance from the exchange, Type of cable in the ground (copper, ali, and in some cases lead, copper being the best) and your own Internal wiring network can all affect the speed of your broadband.

I would say please take results from any (and there are many) speed test sites with a pinch of salt - there is no guarantee it's an acurate result. Try downloading a few files off a newsgroup if you can or a reliable FTP source or even a P2P source if there are a lot of seeders.

Speedtest.net says I download at 2200 kbit/sec at best (Newcastle to London) but I can actually download at nearly 4000 kbit/sec using usenet, uTorrent on a private tracker or ftp.blueyonder.co.uk. Of course all speeds are dependant on many factors including time of day, destination, modem/router etc. but for me I use the ancient motorola cable modem telewest originally supplied on the 4mb line (broadband size "M" I think Virgin now call it) to a nothing-special 3 yr old PC running windows XP pro SP2, default settings, nothing tweaked.

By the way you don't need any special software to access blueyonder's ftp - just type the address into your browser (edited for typo), click on "blueyonder games" then find a file of at least 10 megabytes and time it downloading.

]http://www.speedtest.net/result/125624634.png

]http://www.speedtest.net/result/125625683.png

Got better results out of Dublin - DUH

Original Poster

ok, well i just found out how to check my modem capabilities and got these results:
    Cable Modem Operation Configuration
    Network Access : Allowed
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
    Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
    Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
    Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

doesn't that mean the modem is capable of up to the new 20mb they are supposed to be rolling out?

Iom-RF

Thats the thing, You are on 10mb max, It doesn't mean you'll actually get … Thats the thing, You are on 10mb max, It doesn't mean you'll actually get that speed, All depends how far away you are from the exchange.Although you should be getting at least 4-5mb, You'll be unlikely to have the full 10mb.What modem/router are you using?

Doesn't that just happen with ADSL? Rather than Virgin Media which is cable?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1121
      2. word survey57
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1518
      4. It was forty years ago today......617

See more discussions