Groups

Speeding :

Think i may have been caught doing 35 in 1 30 tryign to get through some traffic lights today.
    ANy idea when/where i can find out if i did get flashed or not.

36 Comments

Wait for the letter, you will get it within 14 days.

Original Poster

Gunna be a nervous two weeks then:( im gutted cos i never really speed.

To be honest - they don't normally set the sensors that low, unless you jumped the light significantly late, in which case it would trigger it.
    I take it you didn't notice the lights flash twice behind you then? It isn't the end of the world however - 3 points is normally ignored by most insurance companies, as they are so easy to pick up these days....

cloudthecat;3128014

To be honest - they don't normally set the sensors that low, unless you … To be honest - they don't normally set the sensors that low, unless you jumped the light significantly late, in which case it would trigger it.I take it you didn't notice the lights flash twice behind you then? It isn't the end of the world however - 3 points is normally ignored by most insurance companies, as they are so easy to pick up these days....

It seems like he is talking about a speed camera, not a red light one.

thesaint;3128023

D'oh! Good spot! Just as well it wasn't me - I couldn't even catch a cold at this rate! Four legs are always slower than four wheels! :whistling:

Banned

Im sure if it was 35 you were doing you should get away with it, I think you are 'allowed' an extra 10% of what the speed limit is plus another 2mph, therefore 35mph - I remember having this answer in the pub quiz before

as the saint says, ull get a letter within 14 days, u can pay about £70 i think it is and turn up to a speeding awareness meeting and they wont put the 3 points on your license, not all areas give you this opportunity tho.

Banned

I read somewhere recently that the level upon which fines are imposed has now been reduced to 32mph in a 30mph speed restricted area.

cloudthecat;3128032

D'oh! Good spot! Just as well it wasn't me - I couldn't even catch a cold … D'oh! Good spot! Just as well it wasn't me - I couldn't even catch a cold at this rate! Four legs are always slower than four wheels! :whistling:

Not neccesarily. In fact they don't tend to put speed cameras in the vicinity of traffic lights (there is only half the chance of catching speeders because the lights will be red half the time). I'd wager that in this case it was actually the red light camera that OP triggered.

thesaint;3128023

Not neccesarily. In fact they don't tend to put speed cameras in the vicinity of traffic lights (there is only half the chance of catching speeders because the lights will be red half the time). I'd wager that in this case it was actually the red light camera that OP triggered. (still only 3 points though and generally overlooked by insurance companies).

Ooops!

salder21;3128052

Im sure if it was 35 you were doing you should get away with it, I think … Im sure if it was 35 you were doing you should get away with it, I think you are 'allowed' an extra 10% of what the speed limit is plus another 2mph, therefore 35mph - I remember having this answer in the pub quiz before

my speeding letter took months as i had forgot about the light flashing-lol
    there is no 10% as far as i am aware.

louloo;3128103

my speeding letter took months as i had forgot about the light … my speeding letter took months as i had forgot about the light flashing-lolthere is no 10% as far as i am aware.

i am fairly sure if your letter doesnt arrive within 2 weeks it becomes void.

deek72;3128068

Not neccesarily. In fact they don't tend to put speed cameras in the … Not neccesarily. In fact they don't tend to put speed cameras in the vicinity of traffic lights (there is only half the chance of catching speeders because the lights will be red half the time). I'd wager that in this case it was actually the red light camera that OP triggered.

In that case, the OP doing 35 is irrelevant.

louloo;3128103

my speeding letter took months as i had forgot about the light … my speeding letter took months as i had forgot about the light flashing-lolthere is no 10% as far as i am aware.

How did you forgetting make any difference to how long the letter taking to be delivered?

If it isn't received 14 days, then you should've disputed it, unless there were special circumstances why it took so long to get it.

I think there is a 10% grace because car speedo's are not accurate, but that's one for the coppers to confirm/deny.

thesaint;3128127

I think there is a 10% grace because car speedo's are not accurate, but … I think there is a 10% grace because car speedo's are not accurate, but that's one for the coppers to confirm/deny.

They will always say there is no 'grace' and that speeding is an absolute offence, even 31mph.

speedos are deffo not accurate - my speedo is always 2 or 3 miles an hour faster than my sat nav says I'm going. I also know someone who made a kit car and took it to a garage to have it's safety check (mot thing) and they sent him away saying his speedo is too accurate! and he had to change it!

I thought there was a 10% grace as well. I seem to remember seeing it on a tv program where they were in one of those speed catching vans and were setting the camera.

Can you get away with 'asking for picture proof because you don't know who was driving at the time'. My friend did this and they never sent the picture so the whole thing was dropped. Not sure they allow it anymore though.

It sounds to me like it was a red light camera rather than a speed one though. They don't tend to put speed cameras near traffic lights do they?

loveabargain;3128296

speedos are deffo not accurate - my speedo is always 2 or 3 miles an hour … speedos are deffo not accurate - my speedo is always 2 or 3 miles an hour faster than my sat nav says I'm going. I also know someone who made a kit car and took it to a garage to have it's safety check (mot thing) and they sent him away saying his speedo is too accurate! and he had to change it!I thought there was a 10% grace as well. I seem to remember seeing it on a tv program where they were in one of those speed catching vans and were setting the camera.Can you get away with 'asking for picture proof because you don't know who was driving at the time'. My friend did this and they never sent the picture so the whole thing was dropped. Not sure they allow it anymore though.It sounds to me like it was a red light camera rather than a speed one though. They don't tend to put speed cameras near traffic lights do they?

Arnt they configuring the Red Light cameras to be used as speeding cameras also?

red_dwarfer;3128323

Arnt they configuring the Red Light cameras to be used as speeding … Arnt they configuring the Red Light cameras to be used as speeding cameras also?

Hadn't heard that one but sounds likely. That way they can get you on 2 offences! Speeding as you jump the lights!!!!

The limit is 10% +2mph, but thats only the recomended settings, it's not law.

You will have to get a nip (notice of intended prosecution) within 14 days of being flashed/caught by camera or it's invalid and can be cancelled
    IF you do get the letter.....
    there are many ways to get off, see pepipoo (look up the website forum)
    forums.pepipoo.com/ind…m=5

Shhh.. don't let on your were speeding.. this is saved on a database and the forum police will be here soon.

They usually allow 10% plus 2 so you should be ok, also the letter has to arrive within 14 days or it becomes void.

I know this as i have a friend that is a traffic cop and he's told me this is how it works

Banned

moschino;3128771

They usually allow 10% plus 2 so you should be ok, also the letter has to … They usually allow 10% plus 2 so you should be ok, also the letter has to arrive within 14 days or it becomes void. I know this as i have a friend that is a traffic cop and he's told me this is how it works

thought so

moschino;3128771
    also the letter has to arrive within 14 days or it becomes void.

Becareful, someone reading this may think that by saying it becomes void, it can be ignored.

It can't, and still needs to be dealt with. :thumbsup:

thesaint;3128817

Becareful, someone reading this may think that by saying it becomes void, … Becareful, someone reading this may think that by saying it becomes void, it can be ignored.It can't, and still needs to be dealt with. :thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:

They are usually very quick at sending the notices out and you MUST reply but if for some reason it takes longer than 14 days from date of offence then you can dispute it.

Ignoring the notice or saying you haven't received it does not work!

Why are some people talking about 10% and assuming it's ok.
    The OP says he was doing 35 mph.
    If his speedo is out by 10% that means he was doing 31.5 mph or 38.5 mph.
    So are we saying 38.5 mph is ok. :w00t:

No 10% of the speed limit ie: 30mph would be 3mph plus 2 is 35mph is what is meant by 10% plus 2

moschino;3128898

No 10% of the speed limit ie: 30mph would be 3mph plus 2 is 35mph is what … No 10% of the speed limit ie: 30mph would be 3mph plus 2 is 35mph is what is meant by 10% plus 2

What jumpingphil is saying, is that the OP's speedo may be out by 10%.(38.5m.p.h)

:oops: Oh i see

Sorry :oops:

Redgarding getting flashed at a red light/speed camera in cases wehre they are combined -

You can only be charged in this case for one offence. which would be the more serious of the two... so as long as you werent going too fast, the fine would be for running a red, but if you were seriously over the speed limit, that would carry the heavier fine

Banned

I think this 10% + 2 is an urban myth. If its true, then that means 79mph on a motorway is ok.

thesaint;3128918

What jumpingphil is saying, is that the OP's speedo may be out by … What jumpingphil is saying, is that the OP's speedo may be out by 10%.(38.5m.p.h)

Exactly. Thanks Saint. :thumbsup:

csiman;3129098

I think this 10% + 2 is an urban myth. If its true, then that means 79mph … I think this 10% + 2 is an urban myth. If its true, then that means 79mph on a motorway is ok.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is too.

csiman;3129098

I think this 10% + 2 is an urban myth. If its true, then that means 79mph … I think this 10% + 2 is an urban myth. If its true, then that means 79mph on a motorway is ok.

It's definately true
    it's in the APCO guide, Association of Police Chief Constables

Howevrer what must be remembered is it's only a GUIDE, not law.
    most cops wont stop you below the guide limits, unless your driving is iffy, OR unless they are having a bad day!

Remember though that at 30mph limit, doing 30.001mph IS breaking the law and you COULD get done for that unlikely as it is, it is possible.

same with motorways, 70mph is the law, 79 is NORMALLY ok, however you could get plled at ANY speed above 70

Original Poster

Well i didnt notice i was speeding at most i was doing 35 had a talk with someone else who goes the same way and they think i may be fine as they dont think there is any speed cameras there unless it was mobile, or if anything jumped a red (But im like 99.99% sure it wasn't red)

So heres to hoping.

Also they do the speed awareness thing in my area.

glenncraneuk;3132413

Well i didnt notice i was speeding at most i was doing 35 had a talk with … Well i didnt notice i was speeding at most i was doing 35 had a talk with someone else who goes the same way and they think i may be fine as they dont think there is any speed cameras there unless it was mobile, or if anything jumped a red (But im like 99.99% sure it wasn't red)So heres to hoping.Also they do the speed awareness thing in my area.

Just had a quick scan through this thread again and I can't seem to see what makes you think you may have been caught speeding in the first place? WERE you flashed or not?

Original Poster

Saw a flash out of the corner of my eye, now it could have been just someones lights on full beam that caught my eye, someone else getting flashed for going through a red, just a trick of the light or something to do with me.

Im really not sure though.

The 10% is to cover your ass remember, your car might already be undercalibrated and could have already 'used up' the extra 10%.
    Also some people say its 10%+2, some say 10%+5..not sure which is correct (and didn't read the whole thread either..)
    Also, i once poo'ed myself for ages about getting flashed, but then found out that it only counts if you are on the right side of the road! (with the camera behind you)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2151
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767360
      3. love affairs2059
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)61480

See more discussions