Speeding fine info

Posted 1st Nov
Just read this article and it's the simplest, easy to understand, article that I have read about speeding fines. I thought I'd post it here as a quick reference for anyone in this situation (we do seem to get a few posts about speeding).

Speeding fine tickets explained
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
It's not possible to judge the speed limits on every road. Especially if the signs are obscured. Can guarantee the holier than thou perfect drivers here have definitely broken the speed limit dozens of times without even realising.
11 Comments
Or you know, just don't speed!
adam_holcombe01/11/2019 10:34

Or you know, just don't speed!

Easier said than done sometimes, especially if you're driving through unfamiliar areas.
Fration01/11/2019 10:41

Easier said than done sometimes, especially if you're driving through …Easier said than done sometimes, especially if you're driving through unfamiliar areas.

What utter rubbish.

You learn how to judge speed limits when you're learning to drive.

Ignorance of the limit is not an excuse!
Fration01/11/2019 10:41

Easier said than done sometimes, especially if you're driving through …Easier said than done sometimes, especially if you're driving through unfamiliar areas.

Then it is reasonable to think you may drive slower then?
adam_holcombe01/11/2019 10:49

What utter rubbish. You learn how to judge speed limits when you're …What utter rubbish. You learn how to judge speed limits when you're learning to drive. Ignorance of the limit is not an excuse!

You say that, and to an extent I agree - however, even in familiar areas they sometimes change the limits, and the road signs are not always visible. There are areas near where I live that the speed limit signs are immediately behind other signs, or are moss covered to the extent of being impossible to read.
And when speed limits in the area change between 20, 30, 40 and 50mph in some built up areas with other drivers ignoring the limits it doesn't help.
It's not possible to judge the speed limits on every road. Especially if the signs are obscured. Can guarantee the holier than thou perfect drivers here have definitely broken the speed limit dozens of times without even realising.
alg01/11/2019 10:54

You say that, and to an extent I agree - however, even in familiar areas …You say that, and to an extent I agree - however, even in familiar areas they sometimes change the limits, and the road signs are not always visible. There are areas near where I live that the speed limit signs are immediately behind other signs, or are moss covered to the extent of being impossible to read. And when speed limits in the area change between 20, 30, 40 and 50mph in some built up areas with other drivers ignoring the limits it doesn't help.

Did you honestly add "all the other boys were doing it.." to the list of excuses for speeding?
adam_holcombe01/11/2019 10:56

Did you honestly add "all the other boys were doing it.." to the list of …Did you honestly add "all the other boys were doing it.." to the list of excuses for speeding?

Why only boys you sexist...
adam_holcombe01/11/2019 10:56

Did you honestly add "all the other boys were doing it.." to the list of …Did you honestly add "all the other boys were doing it.." to the list of excuses for speeding?

No - I pointed out that many drivers ignore those limits. Coupled with signs that are not always obvious, it can be easy to speed.

For example, in Dundee, the majority of the Kingsway has a 40mph limit - as you drive west past Tesco it changes to 50. The amount of drivers who speed up to 50 when they come off the roundabout a couple of hundred metres before the change, which leads to many others doing the same.

I've never been done for speeding, and try to stick the speed limits, I'm just very conscious of those who ignore them. It's also bad given that a lot of areas are inconsistent - 20mph green limits against red limits in different council areas for built up areas.

I also hate the number of people who drive through the pedestrian zone in the middle of Dundee, happily ignoring the no entry signs for cars are motorcycles. It's always amusing when there are police in the area who stop them.
agree with the comments that sometimes it is difficult to judge.

example : the main road past my estate was changed from 30 to 20mph a few months ago, signs went up etc. fine for a while. now, they've taken almost all the signs down where roads join the main road, so you might not pass a 20 sign when joining.

would you still get done for doing 30, even if you never passed a sign showing the lower limit? probably.
Fration01/11/2019 10:55

It's not possible to judge the speed limits on every road. Especially if …It's not possible to judge the speed limits on every road. Especially if the signs are obscured. Can guarantee the holier than thou perfect drivers here have definitely broken the speed limit dozens of times without even realising.

I think if there is a reward of £1,000 for any contestant to guess 30, 40, 50, 60.. mphs accurately within +/- 5 miles, many contestants would come forward to win.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants