Expired

Speedticket

Found 16th Apr
So my ma went on a speed awareness course some 5-6 yrs back I think. Today she got gunned doing 40 in 30.

The officer issuing the ticket said there will be £100 and 3 pts, no option of a course as she’s already received one in the past.

Searching on it it seems people have received courses within 3 yrs l of the other.

Does anyone k ow what would hppen?

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
£100 and 3 pts.

Well obviously the Speeding Course didn't help her in the past, so now its time to learn the hard way.
16 Comments
£100 and 3 pts.

Well obviously the Speeding Course didn't help her in the past, so now its time to learn the hard way.
Easy to find the info on the web, but here's what it says:

Drivers are only able to attend a speed awareness course once every three years. If you are recorded speeding again you will only be eligible to attend a further course if more than three years has elapsed since the date of your previous course.
It is every 3 years you can do one, but i believe offering a course is entirely discretionary by the police force so they can just not offer one to you, and i don't think there is anything you can do about it.
winifer10 m ago

It is every 3 years you can do one, but i believe offering a course is …It is every 3 years you can do one, but i believe offering a course is entirely discretionary by the police force so they can just not offer one to you, and i don't think there is anything you can do about it.

Fair enough, thanks.
I was told that it depends on how far over the limit you were caught doing?
I did one in January, everyone was told about the 3 year rule, don't think the speed you are doing at the time comes into it.
It also depends on the force area as to what’s being offered as well as the speed. Speed awareness courses tend to be for those just slightly over the speed limit.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 16th Apr
35-42 should be the range 'most' forces use for speed awareness offers in a 30mph zone. Easily found information on the internet

10% + 2(3 + 2 = 35) up to but not including 10% + 9(3 + 9 = 42), under 10% + 2 and you'll often get away with it.

I was caught doing 79 in a 70 and was given a speed awareness.

Recklessness of the driving plays a large part aswell - I was caught by a camera van on a bridge rather than say a bloke with a gun who then pulls you over - He may have seen enough in the driving that made him decide you need the points and fine - i.e. potentially doing 40 past a school with children just arriving etc.
Edited by: "winifer" 16th Apr
I did one a few years back now for 46 in a 40 zone and they said if you exceeded 10% +2 then you wouldn’t be offered a speed awareness course. So anything above 35 in a 30 zone and you’ll just get the ticket and the points.

That may well have changed though and each force may have different criteria for when it’s offered.
I think road/traffic conditions at the time are taken into account. I was doing 86 in a 70 when I was clocked but it was early afternoon on an empty dual carriageway.
Here u go

Linkypoo
Cakeboy797 h, 4 m ago

I did one a few years back now for 46 in a 40 zone and they said if you …I did one a few years back now for 46 in a 40 zone and they said if you exceeded 10% +2 then you wouldn’t be offered a speed awareness course. So anything above 35 in a 30 zone and you’ll just get the ticket and the points. That may well have changed though and each force may have different criteria for when it’s offered.

That is nonsense, I'm afraid. 10% + 2 is usually the bottom threshold, which therefore makes you eligible (given other factors, eg time since last course). 10% + 1 will normally leave you unpunished (usually, an officer (not unmanned camera) is still in a position to take action).
Edited by: "eayragt" 16th Apr
richje10056 m ago

Here u go Linkypoo

Thanks for the link, looks like I just scraped in with mine. 1mph faster and I'd have 3 points now.
jaketheplumber54 m ago

Thanks for the link, looks like I just scraped in with mine. 1mph faster …Thanks for the link, looks like I just scraped in with mine. 1mph faster and I'd have 3 points now.

But I was told by my copper friend that not all forces use the 10% leeway seems to be upto the forces discretion
We've received nothing since in the post. Don't they have 14 days max to send something in?
FUAARRKK1 h, 14 m ago

We've received nothing since in the post. Don't they have 14 days max to …We've received nothing since in the post. Don't they have 14 days max to send something in?

Only if you weren't told you could be prosecuted at the time i.e. if you got pinged by a camera or van on a bridge - Then yes it's 14 days for a NIP to arrive

You've confirmed you were stopepd at the time and advised you may be prosecuted for the offence so that's the NIP requirement met. They have upto 6 months to lay the paperwork with courts if they wish to proseucte but it's likely you'lll hear back sooner (most within 4 weeks) be it a CoFP (fixed penalty) or a offer for a Speed Awareness Course
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants