Groups

Spelling - Any teachers/parents help please

My 5 year old can write sentences without spelling mistakes, but when asked to say the spelling of a word, she is not doing well. I wasn't taught the phonics system in school, so I am handicapped in that as well.

I'll put it in examples.
    1.) bread - ---> b- r-e-a-d
    or
    b-r-ea- d
    or
    br- ea-d ?? In that 'ea' , 'a' is silent. Should she say b-r-e-d and say 'e' here is actually 'ea' (My head is spinning)

2) chill ---> c-h-i-l-l
    or
    ch-i-ll (and mention l sound is actually double 'll')

3.) race - ---> r-a-c-e and mention that 's' sound is actually c (ka sound)
    or
    r - a - c (k sound) - e
    4.) sight ------> s-i-g-h-t
    or
    s-igh-t (and mention 'i' sound is 'i-g-h'

Or is there any website that teaches spellings, I mean saying the spellings? Like I said she can write what she thinks without many mistakes. She needs help to say it out.

Any help is gratefully received.

15 Comments

They are always changing the way they teach this.

Make an appointment with her teacher to pop in after school one day so she can explain how she is teaching your daughter so you can support them in doing it the same way. If you try to do it any differently you run the risk of confusing her and making her feel that she doesn't want to learn it any more. The teacher may be happy to let you sit in on a lesson so you can see how it's done, they love having parental help these days.

Phonic spelling is easy once you grasp it. Its just the sound of the letters. "c" being "cuh" as in cake, k, "kicking cuh" as in bake, rather than c being "see" as we would say it.

HTH!

I think the way I learnt at school was by lists of sounds. So list the 'ea' sound and write it out phonetically 'e'.

I think I learnt certain ones and then practiced with relevant words, so give your little girl some sentences with the sounds she has just learnt and gradually just build it up until she learns them all.

But, I think the 'ea' sound is quite a hard one to start with as in 'bread' it sounds different to what it does in 'heard'.

If you get stuck ask her teacher, that's what they're there for.

Unfortunately different schools will teach in different ways, its best to speak to the teacher to see how they are teaching it, so that you dont confuse your daughter by doing it another way

Original Poster

vinylandtrinkets;4297735

http://www.focusonphonics.co.uk/there are a couple of things on this site … http://www.focusonphonics.co.uk/there are a couple of things on this site you can try, when my son started school at 3 they taught him phonic spellings and how to pronounce the words, sounds, the easiest way i found was to keep saying the alphabet phonetic until he got that then moved on to the sound that differnet letter make when put with others, it was hard to start with as i wasnt taught phonic alphabet in school but then again its 22 years since i left school..lol but he got it after a few goes.hope this helpshere is another good sitehttp://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/phonics/

Hi

I have been to this website before. It is a very useful site indeed. :thumbsup: She knows the different sounds, simply doesn't know how to say the spelling like whether she is expected to say s-igh-t or s-i-g-h-t?
    Will it be correct if she said s-igh-t and wrote the correct spelling as 'sight'? I hope I make sense. Sorry to be pain:oops:
    Thanks for the response. Will rep you:)

It can be quite difficult to teach phonics as, as you rightly say, the same sound can be made by several different combinations of letters. A lot of schools use synthetic phonics now where they teach the sound and show the different letter combinations that can be used to make this sound. However, there are other methods of teaching phonics/literacy so I would check with the school, as an earlier poster said.

Marina;4297863

HiI have been to this website before. It is a very useful site indeed. … HiI have been to this website before. It is a very useful site indeed. :thumbsup: She knows the different sounds, simply doesn't know how to say the spelling like whether she is expected to say s-igh-t or s-i-g-h-t? Will it be correct if she said s-igh-t and wrote the correct spelling as 'sight'? I hope I make sense. Sorry to be pain:oops:Thanks for the response. Will rep you:)

All depends on how they teach phonics. Either way could be taught in school.

Original Poster

Oh! I thought there is a standard way. It's my hubby who drops her as I won't be at home at that time.:roll:

Anyway tommorrow I'm going to drop her. I'll try to corner her and clear my doubts. I was worried that she'll think 'What a mum who doesn't even know phonics':oops:

[SIZE=5]Thanks guys. Will rep you all shortly.[/SIZE]:thumbsup:

You wont be the only one, its just that you are making the effort to ensure that your child is not being confused. Teacher is more likely to be pleased that you are taking an interest

Hi,
    I have signed up to post a reply to you, I work in a primary school and help teach literacy in the Early Years.First of all as the above say speak to th teacher who will be pleased to help.

We use the new 'Letters and sounds' document which can be found on the D of Ed site (link above).Most letters are taught ina particular order e.g. s, a ,t ,p, i, n are the first group, then further letters.Words are spelt phonetically using the sounds of letters e.g. b-r-e-d, s-a-t, etc then alongside this 'tricky words' are taught, these are words that can't be sounded out such as 'we, like' etc.
    Groups of letters to make up the sounds are taught in phases as the child progresses.
    Hope this helps!

Marina;4297956

Oh! I thought there is a standard way. It's my hubby who drops her as I … Oh! I thought there is a standard way. It's my hubby who drops her as I won't be at home at that time.:roll:Anyway tommorrow I'm going to drop her. I'll try to corner her and clear my doubts. I was worried that she'll think 'What a mum who doesn't even know phonics':oops:[SIZE=5]Thanks guys. Will rep you all shortly.[/SIZE]:thumbsup:

her teacher will probably love to meet you. take the chance to ask how she is getting on in school generally too. you may have to ask for an appointment to see her for longer if she is busy.

good luck xx

Original Poster

kt21;4298244

Hi,I have signed up to post a reply to you, I work in a primary school … Hi,I have signed up to post a reply to you, I work in a primary school and help teach literacy in the Early Years.First of all as the above say speak to th teacher who will be pleased to help.We use the new 'Letters and sounds' document which can be found on the D of Ed site (link above).Most letters are taught ina particular order e.g. s, a ,t ,p, i, n are the first group, then further letters.Words are spelt phonetically using the sounds of letters e.g. b-r-e-d, s-a-t, etc then alongside this 'tricky words' are taught, these are words that can't be sounded out such as 'we, like' etc.Groups of letters to make up the sounds are taught in phases as the child progresses.Hope this helps!

Wow!!! Thanks for signing up to HUKD to post for me. Welcome to HUKD!!

You are welcome, please feel free to ask anything as it can get quite complicated, but will try and explain as best I can.
    :thinking:

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;4297986

You wont be the only one, its just that you are making the effort to … You wont be the only one, its just that you are making the effort to ensure that your child is not being confused. Teacher is more likely to be pleased that you are taking an interest

ClarityofMind;4298307

her teacher will probably love to meet you. take the chance to ask how … her teacher will probably love to meet you. take the chance to ask how she is getting on in school generally too. you may have to ask for an appointment to see her for longer if she is busy. good luck xx

Thanks kelly and clarity. Will get the teacher to teach me first:-D

Does she have a high frequency words list to practice at home and at school?

Original Poster

Laffy42;4298922

Does she have a high frequency words list to practice at home and at … Does she have a high frequency words list to practice at home and at school?

She's got a writing book. Her teacher writes a few words with for example words having 'aw' sound. Then DD writes about 7-12 words in the same sound and then writes sentences for those words. Is that what you mean or are they doing it differently in her school:thinking: It is a private school,btw.

Anyway, I talked to her teacher this morning and she said for spelling out a word, no phonetics needed just alphabet names. Phew!! e.g. bead is spelt as b-e-a-d.

Thanks everyone above for all the suggestions.:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions