Spend old pound £1 coins until 31 October at Poundland

LocalFound 16th Oct 2017Edited by:"OwlEye"
Spotted a poster in the window today clearly stating this. Seeing as you can no longer spend them or take them to the bank, it's a good concession by Poundland.
Community Updates
Top comments
Just take them to th bank and don’t buy something you don’t need, now that’s a hot deal
And this is a Deal how exactly ?
This site gets worse , the first comment from a MOD as well
If anyone is interested Iceland and Aldi will take them until the end of October, Tesco until 22nd October and any bank or Post Office until further notice. also many charities will accept them as donations Children In Need, Born Free, Epilepsy Action and The Rainbow trust to name a few.
26 Comments
mod
@OwlEye Good to know, i still have a few i've not spent yet.
I found loads of old pound coins yesterday. But scared these old ones will have vintage value very soon.
sam_of_london7 m ago

I found loads of old pound coins yesterday. But scared these old ones will …I found loads of old pound coins yesterday. But scared these old ones will have vintage value very soon.

They won't if they're not shiny
sam_of_london9 m ago

I found loads of old pound coins yesterday. But scared these old ones will …I found loads of old pound coins yesterday. But scared these old ones will have vintage value very soon.

It's a dilemma
dailypost.co.uk/wha…046 good article here, to check!
Just take them to th bank and don’t buy something you don’t need, now that’s a hot deal
Buy something that cost a pound with a pound. Cold from me.
And this is a Deal how exactly ?
This site gets worse , the first comment from a MOD as well
If anyone is interested Iceland and Aldi will take them until the end of October, Tesco until 22nd October and any bank or Post Office until further notice. also many charities will accept them as donations Children In Need, Born Free, Epilepsy Action and The Rainbow trust to name a few.
KingCampo9 m ago

Buy something that cost a pound with a pound. Cold from me.

Technically it's no longer legal tender so you haven't paid a pound for it
goldy124 m ago

And this is a Deal how exactly ? This site gets worse , the first …And this is a Deal how exactly ? This site gets worse , the first comment from a MOD as wellIf anyone is interested Iceland and Aldi will take them until the end of October, Tesco until 22nd October and any bank or Post Office until further notice. also many charities will accept them as donations Children In Need, Born Free, Epilepsy Action and The Rainbow trust to name a few.

Get over yourself, it's still useful and very relevant info. Lots of people in the high street will still have them and will like to know that they can use them in a shop without having to go to a bank etc. A very savvy move on the part of those shops as well seeing as it will cost them nothing, but bring in a bit more footfall.
ghostm4n11 m ago

Get over yourself, it's still useful and very relevant info. Lots of …Get over yourself, it's still useful and very relevant info. Lots of people in the high street will still have them and will like to know that they can use them in a shop without having to go to a bank etc. A very savvy move on the part of those shops as well seeing as it will cost them nothing, but bring in a bit more footfall.

Great first line, they have a point and it’s not relevant info, because you can take it to any bank or post office that would be the savvy move rather than buying something you don’t need, but if you need it then it saves you having to go to the bank. it’s not like we haven’t been told for a while it’s coming, I would go even further and save the country a few hundred million pounds and stop the bank accepting them all together put it as a “stupid tax” :
went to use old pounds in Itsu and they refused to take them. Will buy stuff from poundland which I will use - soap/shampoo/toothpaste.

These tend to be things that cost more than double in super (ripoff) markets
Edited by: "fiqqer" 16th Oct 2017
jameswalker45728 m ago

Technically it's no longer legal tender so you haven't paid a pound for it …Technically it's no longer legal tender so you haven't paid a pound for it

'Technically' the term legal tender has nothing to do with it being accepted by shops. What it means is that you cannot be sued for a debt if you have offered to pay it off with the legal currency. That debt has to have been outstanding, it doesn't refer to simultaneous purchase and payment.
ghostm4n31 m ago

Get over yourself, it's still useful and very relevant info. Lots of …Get over yourself, it's still useful and very relevant info. Lots of people in the high street will still have them and will like to know that they can use them in a shop without having to go to a bank etc. A very savvy move on the part of those shops as well seeing as it will cost them nothing, but bring in a bit more footfall.

"Time and place" thou, yes this is the time to inform people but not the place . This after all is a Deals site
Master.G1 h, 9 m ago

'Technically' the term legal tender has nothing to do with it being …'Technically' the term legal tender has nothing to do with it being accepted by shops. What it means is that you cannot be sued for a debt if you have offered to pay it off with the legal currency. That debt has to have been outstanding, it doesn't refer to simultaneous purchase and payment.

I have no idea what you're talking about to be honest I've tried reading it again and again. I can't tell if you're talking about contractual consideration or what?

I never once stated that it has anything to do with it.

Anyway. The royal mint withdrew the one pound coin yesterday and it is no longer legal tender. The royal mint has marketing agreements with several agencies / banks which allow them to be used past this deadline.
Maybe the problem here is the 'hacks' storing them up ready to unleash today ?

theguardian.com/bus…ger
Or as the poppy appeal are saying use them to pay for your poppy this year.
Great advertising PR by poundland. I havent found any old coin yet since 15 october. I found one a few days before so rushed down to sainsburys to use it

i dont really want to find any old £1 coin as i dont really want to take it to the bank.
sam_of_london5 h, 41 m ago

you and millions of others, why do you think there are still roughly 500 million in circulation, the only pound coins that will be worth anything are those in collections already as first day covers.
Original Poster
eslick5 h, 27 m ago

Just take them to th bank and don’t buy something you don’t need, now tha …Just take them to th bank and don’t buy something you don’t need, now that’s a hot deal

The 15th was the last day to do this.
Owleye, the other day you posted information on how to spend a penny (or not?) at Victoria and St. Pancreas stations and today you tell us how to spend the old pound at Poundland when you don't have to spend a penny at Poundland if you didn't want to.

But don't get short-changed as Tesco, Aldi, Iceland and Poundland, plus lots of small retailers, say they will continue accepting them for a short period, while the big banks will let you deposit them into an account for months yet.
OwlEye5 h, 45 m ago

What is it they say about when you are in a hole.....stop digging
OwlEye7 h, 53 m ago

Nonsense - you can exchange them forever.
You can still use them in a payphone if you can find one working.
Save them up and spend them on the Isle of Man.
Bookmakers gaming machines are taking them until 29th.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants