Expired

Spiders.....its that time of year...

Found 14th Sep 2011
Hi a friend told me that when she was in the maldives, they had a large furry friend in the bathroom and she freaked! She contacted reception and 'maintenance' arrived with a huge spray. Whilst smelling slightly unpleasant, within a few hours the beast was found without a pulse (apologies for all spider lovers!!). What is the spray called and where can i get my hands on it in the uk or purchase online from overseas.

Its that time of year and the office that i work in is riddled with the largest of the large and I am trying to pre-empt this!

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
I would like to know if anyone has an answer to this as we have spider issues as well!!!
Edited by: "emteen" 14th Sep 2011
Original Poster
emteen

I would like to know if anyone has an answer to this as we have spider … I would like to know if anyone has an answer to this as we have spider issues as well!!!

I posted something a while back about spider deterants but there didnt seem any plugin or anything that actually worked available in the UK. There must be something available if overseas can use something. It was supposed to be a huge can but i dont care what it is, i need it!!!!! Good luck with yours
It was probably an insect poison of some sort!?
In South Africa we used a spray called doom (our fave was doom fogger- killed any creepy crawly within a 10 mile radius! lol X)
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 14th Sep 2011
ohdearohdear

Leave the poor spiders alone, they are harmless.Imagine a giant who steps … Leave the poor spiders alone, they are harmless.Imagine a giant who steps on your house and then is looking to spray you, what would you feel about it?

Not all harmless abroad!
And definately no fun for people who are petrified of them.
Agree we are cruel, but some exceptions have to be made somewhere!
Try Raid spray in the red can, its supposed to be for cockroaches and other creepy crawlies, if it can knockout a cockroach then I'm sure it'll sort out a spider. We had a massive **** come scuttling in the other night, its definately the time of year for the creepy little critters. Dont get me wrong, I've nothing against spiders but I dont want to share my home with them!
Original Poster
NEW! Raid Max®
Spider & Scorpion Killer
Kills household spiders, black widow spiders and scorpions on contact!

Going to give this a go first....surely if it can zap a black widow, it should be able to get mine! apologies to spider lovers, but they freak me out.
A cheap deoderent can?
Spiders hate conkers - collect conkers and place a few in a dish in every room and they will no longer be a problem.

I have also seen a spray containing conkers extract that is specifically used to rid the house of spiders.
Edited by: "simon1966" 15th Sep 2011
Original Poster
simon1966

Spiders hate conkers - collect conkers and place a few in a dish in every … Spiders hate conkers - collect conkers and place a few in a dish in every room and they will no longer be a problem.I have also seen a spray containing conkers extract that is specifically used to rid the house of spiders.

Every year my son and i used to go on the conker hunt but the other week there was an article and a video (you tube) showing spiders surrounded by conkers, and they were not taking any notice of them at all and climbed all over them. I watched the whole thing and was gutted but the conkers did not appear to act as a deterrant at all
Original Poster
Kulsum

spider … spider repellershttp://www.primrose.co.uk/advanced-spider-repeller-whole-house-p-1277.html?src=list_img&cPath=24_147

I have purchased two of these.....£45 gone, but will be so worth it (hopefully). The reviews were certainly excellent so fingers crossed, no more tarantula sized beasties!!
duffy101

I have purchased two of these.....£45 gone, but will be so worth it … I have purchased two of these.....£45 gone, but will be so worth it (hopefully). The reviews were certainly excellent so fingers crossed, no more tarantula sized beasties!!

wow thats alot of money.... Please give us an update if it does work!!! will wait on your reply before i get a couple my self.

A repelent is all i need, dont necessarrily want to kill them....
Original Poster
emteen

wow thats alot of money.... Please give us an update if it does work!!! … wow thats alot of money.... Please give us an update if it does work!!! will wait on your reply before i get a couple my self.A repelent is all i need, dont necessarrily want to kill them....

I work from an outbuilding which is a timber summerhouse and it is rife with enormous ones twice a year. I am so desperate, i will try anything. To purchase one was £25 or two for £40 (£5 p&p). The reviews were fab so my fingers are crossed! I will stick the other one in my sons room, as i get a few in there! by all accounts they last about 2-3 years!!! They do a budget one for £15 but i didnt want to cut corners and thought it best to get the beast of repellents!
emteen

wow thats alot of money.... Please give us an update if it does work!!! … wow thats alot of money.... Please give us an update if it does work!!! will wait on your reply before i get a couple my self.A repelent is all i need, dont necessarrily want to kill them....

since plugging the repellent, i've not seen any spiders
Kulsum

since plugging the repellent, i've not seen any spiders

do you kow if its child friendly? cos i have a 1 yr old and want to make sure it is ok for him
LMAO! some nutjob sticking up for spiders, haha!
i dont have a problem with little spiders - its the big ones that freak me out. i saw one last night in my spare room upstairs - it was suprising as in the 2.5 years ive lived in this house its the first spider ive ever seen upstairs, no including the bathroom.

there can be days when i see 4 spiders in a row. i get through a lot of bog roll squashing them, but id prefer not to kill them - just have them never come in. but do these plugins really work? i guess its a sound that scares them off?
Original Poster
I plugged them in on Friday and no sign so far, even though its cold and damp in the office today. I have read the packaging and they are ok for kids (i have put one in my 7 year olds bedroom!!). They are fine for cats and dogs but they advice to keep away from hamsters and small rodent types!!!!
Will keep you up to date
duffy101

I plugged them in on Friday and no sign so far, even though its cold and … I plugged them in on Friday and no sign so far, even though its cold and damp in the office today. I have read the packaging and they are ok for kids (i have put one in my 7 year olds bedroom!!). They are fine for cats and dogs but they advice to keep away from hamsters and small rodent types!!!!Will keep you up to date

yeah the smpiders seem to have dissapeared du tot he weather, so you might need to wait for a freak warmish day to really find out. but thanks for the update!!
Original Poster
emteen

yeah the smpiders seem to have dissapeared du tot he weather, so you … yeah the smpiders seem to have dissapeared du tot he weather, so you might need to wait for a freak warmish day to really find out. but thanks for the update!!

I was told by pest control that they move twice a year, october and march. Hence i am armed and ready now!!!
Banned
Betterware do a really good spider spray repellant.

betterware.co.uk/spi…tml

This works for me.

Its also only £4.99
Edited by: "sanitaryzone" 19th Sep 2011
went for a couple of the budget one, as £45 (with postage) did seem alot to pay for 2... but reviews seem justas good for the budget so hopefull will do the trick...
sanitaryzone

Betterware do a really good spider spray … Betterware do a really good spider spray repellant.http://www.betterware.co.uk/spider-stop-500ml.htmlThis works for me.Its also only £4.99

You have no idea how grateful I am for showing me this
Original Poster
would be interesting to give it six weeks and to all see where we are at and how we got on!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions