Groups

Splitters..

Can anyone shed any light on how they work? I will be needing an extra line in my room soon, and I don't think dad will want the wireless hooking up since he thinks its unsecure..

I currently have 0 spare ports on my router, one line goes straight up to my room via fibre optic cables (I believe), then from wall into the PC.

6 Comments

jamesterror

Can anyone shed any light on how they work?

I think you can split the whatever it is called and then use one split here and one there :giggle: .

Show your dad the wireless is secure and you will have a wireless setup, if you have a wireless router and it's working already it is either secure or unsecure :whistling:

Original Poster

Crazy1

I think you can split the whatever it is called and then use one split … I think you can split the whatever it is called and then use one split here and one there :giggle: .Show your dad the wireless is secure and you will have a wireless setup, if you have a wireless router and it's working already it is either secure or unsecure :whistling:

I thought that at first. I'll blag him some technical bs when he gets home from work, see if he takes it.

If not just connect a cable from the router to a switch (sorta like a router) then a cable from that to his computer

i used to use a spillter before i had wireless, the speed doesnt drop. they great. You may need to config your router to allow more then 1 ip addresses to log on to it though.

Original Poster

harvie316

i used to use a spillter before i had wireless, the speed doesnt drop. … i used to use a spillter before i had wireless, the speed doesnt drop. they great. You may need to config your router to allow more then 1 ip addresses to log on to it though.

is it just 1 cable into the router, then 2 out this end?

http://www.buynetgear.com/buynetGear_assets/product_images/1015050.jpg

I am assuming this is what you mean, you stick the enternet cable from the router to this swtich, and then a cable from the swtich to how many Pcs/laptos you want to connect.

you can get bigger switces which have more ports

I hope this is what you was asking for if not sorry:oops:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1730
      2. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2733
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7191353
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2974

See more discussions