Groups

Splitting a ethernet connection

Hi people,

I am running a router downstairs and i have one ethernet connection from it going upstairs. My question is, is there anyway of splitting this one connection into 2 or maybe 3. I was looking at a ethernet hub does anyone have one, do they work well, is the speed of the connection slower. Thanks

4 Comments

It is possible; they're called ethernet switches.. They don't slow down the speed. If your router is a 1Gbps router, you'll need a 1Gbps switch to keep the maximal speed. Likewise with 100Mbps routers/switches

This is a reasonable 4-port 100Mbps switch: ebuyer.com/pro…456
    Here's an equivalent Gigabit switch: ebuyer.com/pro…466

Original Poster

InfernoZeus;8824870

It is possible; they're called ethernet switches.. They don't slow down … It is possible; they're called ethernet switches.. They don't slow down the speed. If your router is a 1Gbps router, you'll need a 1Gbps switch to keep the maximal speed. Likewise with 100Mbps routers/switchesThis is a reasonable 4-port 100Mbps switch: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132456Here's an equivalent Gigabit switch: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132466

Thanks mate rep left. The problem is i had a camera system installed and one ethernet connection was installed for the dvr. I was thinking of splitting this connection so i can use the dvr, ps3 and a laptop as i also do alot of streaming to the ps3 and i am problems with the wireless connection as it keeps dropping out during streaming

> I was looking at a ethernet hub does anyone have one

A hub and a switch are pretty much the same thing.

They do work slightly different inside, but for the home user either will do.

I have one Ethernet cable coming upstairs from the router downstairs, then have a 4 port switch/hub in my office.

I have one of these and do the job well

play.com/PC/…tml
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927349
      2. love affairs1223
      3. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?1015
      4. Apples new update711

See more discussions