Splitting an audio book into chapters?

Found 6th Oct 2011
I've downloaded an audio book which is just one big file and if I stop it and try and play it again it just goes back to the start

Is there a programme which can split into chapters or even say 20 minute files?
Community Updates
MiscBook
18 Comments
try here i presume its an mp3 , dont know which one is the best tho i have never had to do it
Edited by: "ding" 6th Oct 2011
Original Poster
Wow, that's original (_;)

Funny enough I have tried that new thing called google, as there are so many different ones I wanted to see if anyone had used one they would recommend
Edited by: "souljacker" 6th Oct 2011
Original Poster
dcx_badass

Is it a proper audio book? As in .m4b?

No it's an mp3 file
Original Poster
Cheers I'll try audacity
i have used medieval cue splitter in the past but only for .cue files , i think it will do mp3 without a .cue file give it a try
Nice 1 ty DGA & choc for the Audacity recommendation. I recently downloaded two files, 8 and 9 hours long so this will be useful.
Had a quick look at Audacity, whereabouts is the chapter create mode?
ding

i have used medieval cue splitter in the past but only for .cue files , i … i have used medieval cue splitter in the past but only for .cue files , i think it will do mp3 without a .cue file give it a try

forget medieval cue splitter it only works with a .cue file
I must be getting old, only cue I know of you play snooker or pool with
choc1969

http://andyhowells.suite101.com/splitting-your-audiobook-recordings-into-chapters-using-audacity-a323408

ty but that explanation is long and complicated, I was hoping for the idiot's guide, ie tell me what button to press to select auto chapter! lol
choc you seem to forget I have the attention span o..........oh look a birdie
dga

I can imagine the scripting on how to do that so somebody must have done … I can imagine the scripting on how to do that so somebody must have done it years ago already.Having never listened to an audiobook (I can't read :() I'm assuming that the chapters a pauses with the narator saying "Chapter Four - Debbie does..." or whatever.

I wasnt expecting it to do that (though it would have been good), I just wanted auto chapters ever 20 mins say, as OP stated, its a pain otherwise if you listen in short bursts.
dga

Seems a little too labour intensive for doing more than 1 or 2 books.

I was hoping it would work in a similar way to a dvd/hdd recorder where you can just set up chapter marks automatically in set up menu.
^^^^^ Cheers dga, that one looks a lot simpler to set up
nice
Original Poster
dga

Urm, fixed 20 minute intervals? Audacity. But a hit me quick Google shows … Urm, fixed 20 minute intervals? Audacity. But a hit me quick Google shows this if you're interested in .m4b format with the feature I talked about. http://onlinehelp.avs4you.com/AVS-Audio-Converter/Features/AudioBook/M4BAudioBook.aspxEdit: Oh mien! Did I just post help in non-freeware/GPL? Balls, I'll get my coat

that looks good, i'll give that a try tonight, cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants